Ring and Pinion Gear Pattern Help

I know you want to get this DONE but I think I would wait until you can get some different shims from GM. I'd like to see it more centered but that is just me.
Adding the shim behind the pinion gear solved that issue - I can get any measurement I want now with the shims I have. On my second pattern I went way deep - 5 thou deeper than it is now, and I was definitely hitting the bottom of the tooth. But, the pattern was still toward the heel on the drive side, and toward the toe on the coast side. That's been consistent no matter what I've done.

Is that what you mean by more centered?

Adding the shim behind the pinion gear solved that issue - I can get any measurement I want now with the shims I have. On my second pattern I went way deep - 5 thou deeper than it is now, and I was definitely hitting the bottom of the tooth. But, the pattern was still toward the heel on the drive side, and toward the toe on the coast side. That's been consistent no matter what I've done.

Is that what you mean by more centered?

Yes it just seems to be really off centered between the heel & toe. But if you're not getting any change then I don't know what to tell you. Since I haven't done any gear setup for a while I try to comment to much.

I dont speak the gear lingo very well. I do gears every couple weeks for friends or friends of friends. I am happy with your last pattern, I think it would improve with less backlash but I dont have experience with 14 bolts. If they say to run towards the high end of spec then i say you are good to go.

Reactions: hosejockey61
Heel to toe is less important than root to crown.

acceptablepattern.gif

Heel to toe is less important than root to crown.

View attachment 220428
That’s the exact document I have been using. Right now I split the difference between the drive side pattern being toward the heel, and the coast side pattern being toward the toe, just like the center right picture. In both cases the pattern softens up a lot (easier to see in person) as they get toward either edge.

Finally, when I tightened everything down for the last time the backlash was at 10 - so I left it there based on previous comments.

Thanks again for all the help. Time to button it up and continue to get it under the rig.

The entire time I was thinking why not just add the difference between the pinion head and bearing. But having zero experience with 14 bolts or 9" for that matter I wasn't sure what you could get away with. That last pattern does look good.

When they shave the ring gear how much do they take off?

The entire time I was thinking why not just add the difference between the pinion head and bearing. But having zero experience with 14 bolts or 9" for that matter I wasn't sure what you could get away with. That last pattern does look good.

Quite a bit. They want the gear OD at 10.063".

Setting up a 14 bolt or 9" is child's play. I would take either over a Dana 30 or Dana 44 any day.

That’s the exact document I have been using. Right now I split the difference between the drive side pattern being toward the heel, and the coast side pattern being toward the toe, just like the center right picture. In both cases the pattern softens up a lot (easier to see in person) as they get toward either edge.

Finally, when I tightened everything down for the last time the backlash was at 10 - so I left it there based on previous comments.

Thanks again for all the help. Time to button it up and continue to get it under the rig.

I'm glad you got it and can't wait to see this thing under your Jeep.

Setting up a 14 bolt or 9" is child's play. I would take either over a Dana 30 or Dana 44 any day.
9 inch is definetly the diff to learn on as not only does it not require pulling bearings, you can have it on the bench and actually see what you have going on.

Reactions: williambmac