RPMs aren’t lining up with GrimJeeper gearing calculator

Bbrayden85

TJ Enthusiast
So according to grimm jeeper my jeep should hit 60 at about 2260 rpm with 4.11 gears on 31” tires. I just replaced the speedometer gear so my speed is acurate (i tested it with a gps speedometer) and its hitting 60 at about 26-2700 rpm. This is all in 5th gear by the way.

So according to grimm jeeper my jeep should hit 60 at about 2260 rpm with 4.11 gears on 31” tires. I just replaced the speedometer gear so my speed is acurate (i tested it with a gps speedometer) and its hitting 60 at about 26-2700 rpm. This is all in 5th gear by the way.
I did turn my tire twice and the pinion rotated 4 and almost 1/4 times.

Well yeah, you have to account for a small margin of error with any calculator.

With the Jeep on flat ground, set a tape measure next to the axle tube to the ground. Where the tube touches the tape is the hub height or the rolling radius of the tire. Double that number and enter it into the calculator.

Anyone who tells you to look up anything from the manufacturer to enter into the calculator is wasting your time.

Well yeah, you have to account for a small margin of error with any calculator.
That math has no margin of error. It is simple and basic as 1 x 5 = 5. There is only one variable and that is the entered tire size which most get incorrect. If you want to know the tire size, keep changing until the RPM matches the specified MPH in the correct gear and that tells you your tire size actual, not what's on the sidewall.

Reactions: hear
That math has no margin of error. It is simple and basic as 1 x 5 = 5. There is only one variable and that is the entered tire size which most get incorrect. If you want to know the tire size, keep changing until the RPM matches the specified MPH in the correct gear and that tells you your tire size actual, not what's on the sidewall.
This is the most correct method. Use gps to get an accurate speed. The resulting tire size will be very close to the one arrived at from finding the rolling radius and doubling it.

Reactions: mrblaine