Safe RPM for longer (150 mile), freeway trips

I had a MGB with no OD and a 1/4-million miles on it, and would right 4250-4750 on the highway for 3 hours straight. I was half expecting a piston to go through the hood but it never happened :ROFLMAO:

British cars aren't known for longevity, the 4.0 is. It'll be fine. The main issue is sound and comfort suffers and higher RPMs.

As for wear, different parts are affected differently. The valve train is worked harder at higher rpms. Not enough that I'd worry about it.

Safe and prudent are 2 different things. I like 2500 at 70. Every time the piston goes 1 cycle it is wearing out the rings and other parts, so cycle it as few times as possible.
Dan,
That was my point exactly, but I appreciate everyone's comments. I'm probably to conservative.

3000 rpm isn’t gonna hurt a thing. Maintain the engine with oil changes, new oil filters and air filters and it ll still be running when you ve grown tired of it and want a newer one!

I agree with that. I also know that higher RPMs wear out parts faster for most people, not all. Most would agree that 5000 RPMs is not a good number for a 4.0?
Yes, most will agree with that but it has nothing to do with what actually works and works well. Again, the factory spec is 68 MPH at 3000 RPM at a time when the highway speed limits were faster for extended periods. Since it didn't sink in somehow, that means they knew the vehicle would be driven for long periods of time are RPM levels exceeding 3000. There is a massive difference between cruising at 3000-3300 rpm and bouncing off the rev limiter at 5 grand. One is prudent, one is not safe.

Reactions: R49
I cruise 60/65 usually. But with my trailer now I do 55/60. For an 8 hour drive it doesn't make a super significant time difference.

65 is when the wind noise gets bad anyway.
Thanks guys for the reassurance on long hauls ,I can set the cruise and get 63 mph and still be right under 3000 rpm,35s 32rh with 4.56

Your speedo is off or your tires are out of whack. 3000 rpm is 68 mph with the 32RH, 35's, and 4.56's.
I checked it with the gps ap next to the speedometer after I installed the 37 tooth speedometer gear,the Mickey Thompson tires are on the short side,do you think that’s the problem.that and I keep it right under 3000

Last edited:
I checked it with the gps ap next to the speedometer after I installed the speedometer gear,the Mickey Thompson tires are on the short side,do you think that’s the problem
Your tires are closer to 33". Measure from the ground to the center of the hub and it will be about 16".

A new 35" MTR will measure about 17.25" to the hub center.

Your tires are closer to 33". Measure from the ground to the center of the hub and it will be about 16".

A new 35" MTR will measure about 17.25" to the hub center.
I know,I wished they still made the Mtr 35 in 15 inch,the mtz are awesome here in the Missouri mud but we are getting ready to spend a lot of our retirement out west,bummer

my old BMW airhead MC’s have a similar redline as my 4.0. I have, and know many others that do, on a regular basis run 5-6k RPM’s over thousands of miles. I also know many of these MC’s that have in excess of 1/2 a million miles.
I would think running 2/3’s of redline would be a reasonable number… personally I would have no issues running 4k all day. Gas Mileage Be Damned.

It was refreshing to read that 4:10’s and 33’s with the 3speed automatic is a good combination 😁

Most large generators run at 3600RPM their whole life and that's considered low rpm for an internal combustion engine as far as I know. 3K all day wouldn't bother me one bit, not just extended periods on the highway, years all day long.
Actually, large generators run at 1800rpm.

Reactions: ColoJeep and R49
Most large generators run at 3600RPM their whole life and that's considered low rpm for an internal combustion engine as far as I know. 3K all day wouldn't bother me one bit, not just extended periods on the highway, years all day long.
What kind of gen sets are you guys running? Every one Ive been around in the municipal backup systems typically run at 1800 rpm for 60HZ. Those being Cat,Cummins or Generac's, all diesels of course.