Sayings that have stuck with you in life

When I was defensive coach for football..

The defensive motto.. "Give them nothing.. take it all way"

Also.. "defeat, and destroy the man in front of you."

Last football motto for my team.. aggression will solve your problem. (Probably not the wisest.. but had the best damn defense for 4 years straight.)

From my coach to me in HS (sophomore playing varsity.. getting the hell beat out of me).

"Get up son, this is football."

Also a goody... "Bleed now, so you don't bleed later"or "Bleed in practice, so you can make them bleed in the game"

From my first boss:
“That thing looks like fido’s ass”

My first shop foreman:
“It’s crookeder than a whore’s heart “

An old dairy farmer I worked for as a kid:
“I haven’t had this much fun since the pigs ate my little brother”!!!?

My father commenting on how far out in the country a house I was looking to by was located:
“This is out where the owls screw the pigeons”

Did you ever think
As the hearse drives by
That someday you and I
Will be taking a ride in a high board hack
Taking a ride and never coming back
Did you ever think as you strive for gold
A dead mans hand a dollar won’t hold
So finish up your beer
And let’s get the he’ll out of here.

I learned this from and old deer hunting partner from the early 90’s (when he passed away). Committed it to memory in my teens.

Reactions: RussTJ
My old squad leader always said
“you ain’t said shit slick to a can of oil”

With today’s motivated workforce I use
“you move like pond water” &
“you’re as worthless as tits on a boar hog”
daily. Among many others

I'm not a Yooper. - my reply when people find out I was born and raised in Michigan.

Dumb as a box of rocks.

Quickly, swiftly!

Quit your lollygagging!

Boss in highschool. "work while you talk, talk while you work." I find myself saying it all the time to the kids.

Reactions: JMT
I had a teacher, way back in high school, say "keep your eyes wide open before marriage and half shut after". It seems the phrase also works for Jeeps. I thought my Jeep was perfect when I bought it, now I can't stop trying to change it. : )

Reactions: Travis and JMT
This rings true to me right now, and may have been said, but "You can never be to prepared".

“Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke.”

“I was born ready and I intend to go out that way.”

Gramma always said "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Whenever I started a sentence with "I wish...", my dad would say "Wish in one hand and shit in the other, and see which one fills up faster"

My boss uses "Sometimes when you mess with the bull, you get the horns"

I use "Six of one, half a dozen of the other" all the time...

Reactions: Travis
My nice but very non mechanical neighbor: "If it won't fit then force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway".

Reactions: UpperMI
One that stuck with me from my military days is "pain is just weakness leaving the body".

Another one I use at work is "good enough for the girls I date", the women do not particularly like that one but it makes them chuckle.

“Close enough for the girls I date” is level one of acceptable.
The next level is:
“Close enough for the ones you take home to Momma”

I worked with an old guy on my first job who every time he went to relieve himself in the bathroom would say, Oh! The waters cold, and deep too!
Same guy would tell me, you're behind like dog balls. I guess he thought I was slow.

I'm busier than a one leg'd man in an ass kicking contest but I think this thread is slicker than snot on a hot oven door . Some of you lost me where you bought the bicycle so I am as confused as you guys. Speaking of confusion I had one but the wheel fell off. Off to meet some people that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them, I told them to stay where yer at I'll come where yer to, and I know sure as shit on a brown dog they will be late.

And for a truly Canadian one, give er' like ski doo eh!

My all time favorite - mostly said at work..... you can’t shine shit.

Never heard looks like hammered dog shit before, but I love it - I think I’ll start using that one, too.