Scrat 2.5 to Scrat Limited 5.9

Thank you, that is about where my jeep is at. I think I keep my foot in it still because it is new and fun.

once I get it back on the road I think I will install a bung onto the straight pipe and run it for a while to see if it makes much if any difference.

I have a dana 44 I am putting together. I got the axle and a rebuilt limited slip carrier for 400 bucks. The axle came with the shafts and backing plates for drum brakes. I bought a master rebuild kit for it and axle bearing kits. I bought a new never installed G2 4.56 ring gear and pinion for the dana 44 from a guy on FB for 100 dollars.
I am going to try to see if My jeep grand Cherokee disk breaks will work on this axle. Not that I think disk breaks are better but because I would need to buy all hardware and breaks for the drums anyway I might as well go disk breaks as it will be cheaper since I have them.

WOW nice score on the axle. Getting a Dana 44 out here for under $1K is rare. And you scored the gears and stuff too. I think the brakes from the GC will swap over but can't say 100%.

Reactions: Paparock1
I about got all my parts and tools gathered up to start the Dana 44 rebuild. I do not have the original carrier to this axle. I do have a TRAC LOK carrier and a new G2 ring and pinion set for it. When I look at the FSM for the dana 44 the diagram shows the carrier shims between the carrier and the bearings. I watched a few youtube videos and they show the shims going outside the carrier and bearings; between the axle housing and bearing/carrier.

the dana 44 is a stripped down axle it has the end caps and axle shafts but I need to replace everything else. Any information will be appreciated

I about got all my parts and tools gathered up to start the Dana 44 rebuild. I do not have the original carrier to this axle. I do have a TRAC LOK carrier and a new G2 ring and pinion set for it. When I look at the FSM for the dana 44 the diagram shows the carrier shims between the carrier and the bearings. I watched a few youtube videos and they show the shims going outside the carrier and bearings; between the axle housing and bearing/carrier.

the dana 44 is a stripped down axle it has the end caps and axle shafts but I need to replace everything else. Any information will be appreciated

All the d44s I've played with had carrier shims on the outside. It would be a royal pain to set backlash otherwise?

I think I'd rather have an open diff than a LS. Short wheelbase rigs whipping sideways on slick surfaces is no fun. Open diff at least leaves a tire somewhat planted.

I've never worked on a Dana 44a so can't offer any help there. I'd post up your questions in the general area and see if some of the axle guys will respond.
On a standard Dana 44 most of the time the shims are between the bearings and the carrier. Some of the newer Jeep Dana 44's I think had the shims on the outside of the bearings. This is where a GOOD clam shell puller comes in handy. And setup bearings.

I think I'd rather have an open diff than a LS. Short wheelbase rigs whipping sideways on slick surfaces is no fun. Open diff at least leaves a tire somewhat planted.

Not sure how a limited slip would cause this. The TracLoc was a option from the factory and many TJ's had one in the rear.

I ran a Detroit locker in the rear of my TJ for 4 years before I upgraded axles and while it would bang & pop now and then I never had any scary issues with it. And I even drove it in the winter in snow & ice.

So with the help of BFG and BlackJack I got the Dana 44 in and set right. One worry taken care of. Today I was installing an Aussie locker in my Dana 30 and at reassembly I looked over my races and they were pitted pretty good. Now have spicer 706016X on order. but that should wrap up the drive train mods for now.

I have been adjusting the pinion angle little by little. I think I about have them set as I only feel a little vib about 80 MPH now.

Engine is running great with no issues its hard to keep my foot out of it. I did the power brake thing the other night leaving work. Childish I know but fun LOL. Much better with the Dana 44

The trans pan that I ordered was warped pretty bad. it is cast aluminum but it was pretty far off. I was surprised because the flange is 3/8 in think. I could not seal it up. I took it off and put a light in it and then held it up to a flat surface and to much of my surprise it was over 1/32 out in a few spots. took it to a guy who has a wide belt sander to flatten it out. Installing a gasket with blue RTV tomorrow to hopefully seal it up for good.

Well finally got it out flexing and testing. I am very happy with it. I have a real quiet exhaust on it so it is a true sleeper. I did a a bunch of mild twisted trails, nothing rock crawling, but it did put the suspension through its full travel. Yes the rear LSD was a weak point as I got one tire up in the air and had to get a little tug off the obstacle, so that will have to be addressed. I didnt want to do it but I did do about a 75 foot mud pit, the first time I went through it was easy.

Then a well built gladiator (not the one in the group pick) with 40s on it went through it about 4 times with the last two runs being in 2 wheel drive. It turned it up good. So I figured well it is already dirty so I will try it again. I made it about 3/4 through before needing a tug. I was dragging the rear diff the entire way. I might move up the 35s after the first of the year.

Most of the bigger jeeps are newer and running 35s or larger tires. There was a guy taking some video and pics so hopefully I get some of those.

Thank you all for all the help and input 🤩.

jeep flex.jpg

399151668_10220963196904316_8183452907698273492_n.jpg

20231104_133157.jpg

Did many of them figure out you had a V-8 under the hood? Glad you are enjoying it.

yeah once I drove it up to the start of the small and short but fairly steep sand hill climbs they have there. I punched it and flew up the hill while all the others had to get a running start. Then the first pass through the mud pit I was in and out within 20 seconds the guy videoing said. 😁

yeah once I drove it up to the start of the small and short but fairly steep sand hill climbs they have there. I punched it and flew up the hill while all the others had to get a running start. Then the first pass through the mud pit I was in and out within 20 seconds the guy videoing said. 😁

I used to always enjoy the looks on peoples faces when I zipped up something. Wish I could figure out a quiet muffler that would fit under mine with the midarm.

You'd need to ask Chris on how to load a video here if it's small enough.

I load mine onto YouTube as it's easier for people with slow internet like me to be able to watch them.

if you keep watching from here, I go through a mud pit twice, Second time I got stuck after it got tore up by the Gladiator. I was testing Scrat's limits.

It took 4 hours to clean all that mud, sand, and slop off and out of it. Wont be doing that anytime soon.... I think LOL

Reactions: Wildman
gong to move up the 35 inch tires. I already have a 1" body lift.
According to the paperwork I have from the original owner, the Jeep has a 4" Black Mountain (Collins Brothers) lift. I don't know much about the company but they have been in business for quite a while. The website no longer has anything listed for the Jeep TJ. I am not sure of the quality of my current springs which were installed in 2012 but I bet there have been improvements in general.

When I did the motor swap the extra weight of the 5.9 naturally compressed the springs. On FB I see some Rubicon Express 4.5" Springs for cheap. The guy is selling those and going to a progressive spring. My plan is to get the 35s and then cycle the suspension and see what rubs and see what I need to do then.

I am hoping to have this done Just after the new year so I can go join the South East boys on a weekend trail ride. Jerry said he will try to show up also.

Anyway, any advise on springs? I have after market fixed lower control arms and RC (I know) adjustable upper control arms, with RC adjustable track bars.

I had ProComp 4" springs on mine when I did the V-8 swap but right after the swap I installed the AiRock kit so I can't help you on height with the V-8. RE springs are supposed to run taller than advertised so if I remember correctly the 4.5" springs used to net around 5.5" lift with a stock engine. I'd go back and read the thread on Jeep Forum as I remember there being a lot of talk about springs and actual lift.