Scrat 2.5 to Scrat Limited 5.9

Well I chatted with Mark @Wranglerfix and he said the Grand Cherokee PCM might not run the gauges but I decided to go give it a go anyway. I will be mailing it out tomorrow.

I am hoping that this PCM has a better tune as it was all OEM together. My Dodge truck 5.9 PCM is running the engine and gauges now just fine but was thinking what the original might do different. If nothing else I will have a back up PCM.

Well I chatted with Mark @Wranglerfix and he said the Grand Cherokee PCM might not run the gauges but I decided to go give it a go anyway. I will be mailing it out tomorrow.

I am hoping that this PCM has a better tune as it was all OEM together. My Dodge truck 5.9 PCM is running the engine and gauges now just fine but was thinking what the original might do different. If nothing else I will have a back up PCM.

Is it true that the pickup pcm's don't pull torque down low? I heard back in the day the gc pcm didn't make as much low rpm power?

I think it's worth a try. And since it is a 98 GC I would hope/think that it will talk to your dash but not 100% sure. AS you said it'll be nice to have a spare either way. Will be watching to see what happens.

Is it true that the pickup pcm's don't pull torque down low? I heard back in the day the gc pcm didn't make as much low rpm power?

I've never heard this but there was a "Death Flash" that killed the torque/power of the Magnum engines. Dodge was trying to fight the pinging/knock that many were having due to blown plenum gaskets (unknown issue at the time) so they pulled timing in the tune and reflashed the PCM. This is one of the other reasons for getting a tune from someone like FRP or HemiFever which will fix this.

The 1998 GC with the 5.9 was a AWD only version and was the early performance SUV type vehicle and back in 1998 it was a fast vehicle so the GC PCM would be great if it can be made to work.

I think it's worth a try. And since it is a 98 GC I would hope/think that it will talk to your dash but not 100% sure. AS you said it'll be nice to have a spare either way. Will be watching to see what happens.

I've never heard this but there was a "Death Flash" that killed the torque/power of the Magnum engines. Dodge was trying to fight the pinging/knock that many were having due to blown plenum gaskets (unknown issue at the time) so they pulled timing in the tune and reflashed the PCM. This is one of the other reasons for getting a tune from someone like FRP or HemiFever which will fix this.

The 1998 GC with the 5.9 was a AWD only version and was the early performance SUV type vehicle and back in 1998 it was a fast vehicle so the GC PCM would be great if it can be made to work.
Ah,yeah i was thinking 5.2l.

Reactions: Paparock1
I'd never even heard it on the 5.2. Do you remember where you'd found this information?

Something my brother said when dealing with backwoods offroad. He had skim issues with his gc pcm and mentioned one bonus to the ram pcm besides no skim was the extra low end torque it could make being in a larger more robust vehicle. So definitely second,third or fourth hand info,lol

Something my brother said when dealing with backwoods offroad. He had skim issues with his gc pcm and mentioned one bonus to the ram pcm besides no skim was the extra low end torque it could make being in a larger more robust vehicle. So definitely second,third or fourth hand info,lol

Who knows with Evan from Backwoods... This is a first but I've never seen any difference in the ratings on a Ram compared to a Jeep or Durango.

My Grand Cherokee is a 5.9 limited and it came with a 242 transfer case. Some had a 249 tc also. After a lot of my reading the 242 case is basically a 231tc with a awd selection.

Reactions: Wildman
My Grand Cherokee is a 5.9 limited and it came with a 242 transfer case. Some had a 249 tc also. After a lot of my reading the 242 case is basically a 231tc with a awd selection.

I'd never read of one with the 242 but that would have been a better t-case IMO. All the articles I'd read said it was only offered with the 249 t-case.

Interesting enough.... I went and pulled the GC build sheet and it has this "DHRP Quadra-Trac "On Demand" 4WD System" which after a google search it is the 249tc
I guess I didn't realize it and assumed that maybe the 242tc was an option. The transfer case, the TC bezel, shift gate and all, must have been changed as it looks OEM. Well my score on my Grand Cherokee find was even better than I realized!

Reactions: Rickyd and Wildman
Interesting enough.... I went and pulled the GC build sheet and it has this "DHRP Quadra-Trac "On Demand" 4WD System" which after a google search it is the 249tc
I guess I didn't realize it and assumed that maybe the 242tc was an option. The transfer case, the TC bezel, shift gate and all, must have been changed as it looks OEM. Well my score on my Grand Cherokee find was even better than I realized!

Always fun to find out you scored....

• Haha
20231221_120636.jpg

You think I could just slip another keeper in there? Doesnt appear to be any damage as some of it is still in the groove

Last edited:
oh yay LOL. well one of my grandson's are here and when you go to the garage to do a quick repair and you start to rush things and then you keep hearing him coming to the door saying Papa, and then what should have been quick repair goes wrong, well its just time to save it for a day when the grandson is not here. As he does not live close to me. so the Jeep will sit until next year.

I stripped the lower brake caliper threads in the knuckle trying to hurry. I was wanting to take him for a ride. Oh well!

oh yay LOL. well one of my grandson's are here and when you go to the garage to do a quick repair and you start to rush things and then you keep hearing him coming to the door saying Papa, and then what should have been quick repair goes wrong, well its just time to save it for a day when the grandson is not here. As he does not live close to me. so the Jeep will sit until next year.

I stripped the lower brake caliper threads in the knuckle trying to hurry. I was wanting to take him for a ride. Oh well!

I totally get it. Wish mine lived closer too. Heck you're closer to where they live than I am since they are in FL.
The Jeep is always going to be there spend time with the grandson. He can get a ride next time.

It's looking like I'm not getting my heads back before Christmas so my Jeep won't be running until next year more than likely.

Got Scrat back on the road. I replaced the front calipers as the passenger side would not release and had worn the brake shoe down to the rivet on the out board pad. I would notice it pull occasionally but then it would free up. My laziness I guess. Anyway when I removed the brake line the fluid only dribbled out. Not a steady stream. So I started to trouble shoot. Eventually I ended up removing the line at the proportioning valve and back blowing air through the line which unplugged the line. Then I did a gravity bleed on it to fill up the caliper for both sides. Then did a total brake bleed the following day. works awesome now. So back on the road. So naturally had to do slam on the brakes a few times and do some burnouts. LOL

Now onto the PCM. I took a chance on the Jeep Grand Cherokee PCM. Once I did the engine swap that PCM would not run my jeep at all. It would start and then shut down almost immediately. I was reading about wrangler fix and what they could do to PCMs. I gave them a call, email with them and even did their online chat. Professional people who know what they are doing. I sent them the JGC, PCM to have the skim removed. The day they received my PCM, they removed the skim and had it shipped back out that same day. Great service!
Nothing to do with @Wranglerfix but wanted to share the results. Basically for MY application it did not work. The PCM was working in the jeep grand cherokee before I removed the engine. It was running fine. But now when I put it in my Jeep TJ it will start and run but it barely runs. Its not a quick start as I have to hold the key in start for a few seconds and then when it hits just right it will start up but it doesn't run on all cylinders. I can only assume that the JGC has a few other components in the 5.9 limited version system that send and receive sensor information to the PCM that I do not have now on in the Jeep TJ. Different models of the JGCs had different components with the 5.9 limited having a Vehicle Information Center. I will hang onto this PCM as I feel it will work in another JGC but for now I just wanted to share that my experience with the 1998 JGC 5.9 limited PCM, even with the skim removed, is not an option for us.

Next on the list: 35 inch MTs.......... sad news is after the first of the year the tires went up 30 bucks each and the instant rebate ended. oh well

Reactions: Wildman
20240110_232205.jpg

Sometimes we may or may not try to come off or type ourselves into a character. So this post is mostly about me but I gave a pic of my sticker collection that is on my tail gate as to pave the way into "who am I"

I am a 22 year retired Army Staff Sergeant that still works on Aircraft. And I cannot Now afford a 1969-1972 Chevy blazer as I owned 2 of them in my teen age years, so I bought a Jeep TJ because it was cheap and the closet thing that reminded me of driving with the top off and loving life! So here I am!

I have a 2018 Ram 3500 that I tow my 5th wheel with, A 2006 red Mustang convertible GT, a 2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi, that I mainly use for back up and my hunting truck, and my 1997 Jeep TJ. 10 times out of 10, if I am going anywhere by myself or if I can convince my wife, I am choosing the Jeep which I have named Scrat and I put angry eyes on it (not the full grill) and I like it, as it fits! I am going to add removable white fangs made from PVC pipe. I have 5 grand children and one on the way and they like it also and one day when I can no longer drive it, I plan to pass it onto the one who attaches themselves to it..

I have strong beliefs that in times past I have in fact doubted and not been secure in and with.......... but now, I will not be moved by any man's opinion but I remain teachable from the creator............ Look at my tail gate, you might think I am an alcoholic, LOL. Yes I do drink and enjoy it. I can drink beer, wine, Champaign, whiskey, and tequila all in the same night and wake up just fine. I also love God with all my life as I know what he has done for me and I know Jesus is my Lord.

With that being said, my best friend at work is an Atheist and we work great together. to the point, and I promise you, he comes more at me with his anti stuff way more than I try to change his beliefs. but I have learned that it has opened him up to conversation as he knows I am not against him!

My last 4 years in the Army I was training Afghanistan pilots and crew members how to operate a Mi17 helicopter and to perform every mission imaginable with it. Muslim beliefs are 180 degrees out of what I believe! I had both pilots and crew members come up to me and ask me to fly with them on their check ride as we worked well together and they trusted me and were comfortable enough with me to know that I had their back. After I retired from the Army, I went over to Afghanistan as a contract employee and continued working with the men I already knew and continued training more of Afghan pilots and crew members...... There was this one pilot, he was struggling in every area, he was not a very good pilot and had trouble with just about everything , but this is his story summed up. The Taliban came to his house to recruit him and in pressuring him to join them they killed his son. He trusted me and told me this! He said that he would not join them and that to fight back he wanted to take the fight right to them so he wants to be a pilot so he can land where they are!

I have obviously since, finished my employment over there long before the Biden administration. I can not imagine what happened to all those great men who only wanted a better life for themselves and their families and they were just left.......

I may, in different threads, post strong beliefs in God and have a different mindset, but please do not take your microscopic view of anyone on this Forum and believe you know them as that is who they are!

I just felt like runn, I mean sharing this :)

Paparock,
James

Last edited: