Screwed up big time towing my Jeep

Bob.Gibson

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My 2005 TJ has a 42RLE transmission.
I have recently been towing it on an A frame.
Prior to towing I always put the transfer box in N and the Auto trans mission in N and have towed it many times like this. Some times up to 500 miles at speeds up to 60mph.
When I arrived home after this last trip I noticed oil spots on the rear window door and tyre. Upon investigation I found out that the Transfer case and transmission had blown apart.
What did I do wrong?

Prior to towing I always put the transfer box in N and the Auto trans mission in N and have towed it many times like this. Some times up to 500 miles at speeds up to 60mph.
When I arrived home after this last trip I noticed oil spots on the rear window door and tyre. Upon investigation I found out that the Transfer case and transmission had blown apart.
What did I do wrong?
If they literally "blew apart" the front driveshaft double-cardan joint probably seized

What did I do wrong?
Not familiar with A frame but I'll assume you meant a tow bar and all four tires were on the ground. If that is true and the whole left side of the T-case exploded, then as stated, the front drive shaft Double Cardan locked up. Since it is angled down to the front pinion, locking up makes it spin around at an angle which destroys the case on the transfer case.

FYI, the auto trans is supposed to be in Park, not neutral.

Is the transmission actually damaged?

Reactions: pc1p
Standard practice with an auto is leave it in park, transfer case in neutral. But AFAIK the transfer case is the important part, get that right and it doesn't really matter what you have the transmission in.

Pictures are almost always needed and sometimes This thread is worthless without pics is a requirement but "love" isn't something I'd connect to seeing pictures of this.

I do love seeing pictures of train wrecks but pictures of this, not so much.
I present old footage from the Iowa State Fair

ValidShockingJavalina-max-1mb.gif

That the transfer case literally came apart makes me think, as above, the front driveshaft's CV joint seized which is known to do that. And yes, per your owner's manual, your transmission should have been in Park, with the transfer case in Neutral. The transmission is prevented from spinning without proper lubrication by being in gear or in Park while fiat towing.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
That the transfer case literally came apart makes me think, as above, the front driveshaft's CV joint seized which is known to do that. And yes, per your owner's manual, your transmission should have been in Park, with the transfer case in Neutral. The transmission is prevented from spinning without proper lubrication by being in gear or in Park while fiat towing.
Fiat hasn't owned Jeep that long.

Last edited:
Thanks for the many replies and sympathetic words. Yes I was flat towing with alkl wheels on the ground.
I accept that I have made a mistake in having the auto trans in N but am curious why it blew apart this time and not the first time I tried.
I have not yet contacted my Insurance company. Has anybody been able to make an insurance claim for this type of damage
Here are a few pic taken as soon as I discovered the issue. I will post more later today why I have the bottom plate removed
IMG_3768.jpg
IMG_3769.jpg
IMG_3770.jpg
IMG_3766.jpg
IMG_3768.jpg
IMG_3769.jpg
IMG_3770.jpg
IMG_3766.jpg

Thanks for the many replies and sympathetic words. Yes I was flat towing with alkl wheels on the ground.
I accept that I have made a mistake in having the auto trans in N but am curious why it blew apart this time and not the first time I tried.
I have not yet contacted my Insurance company. Has anybody been able to make an insurance claim for this type of damage
Here are a few pic taken as soon as I discovered the issue. I will post more later today why I have the bottom plate removed
View attachment 286456View attachment 286457View attachment 286458View attachment 286459View attachment 286456View attachment 286457View attachment 286458View attachment 286459
I think your transfercase may need replaced, wow.

• Haha
  • Face Palm
Reactions: Alex01 and Plumber1
the destruction to the transfer case is impressive in it's totality, but I agree with others, I don't see any damage to the transmission.

My mind is going wild trying to picture what was happening just going down the highway AFTER the case broke.

Reactions: Apparition

I believe the two are unrelated. The front CV joint could have just as easily seized while you were driving it and had the same result, and was not related to the transmission being in neutral - though you'd have had warning and probably stopped if you'd been in the drivers seat because I think that joint usually starts making noise before it fails.