Should I add a body lift or a suspension lift?

GavinsBlueJeep

So im 19, and I have been working on my 2002 For a little while now and the next thing I wanted to do was put a little lift on it about 3-4 inches so I could have a little extra clearance. Although, as I said before. Im only 19. So my budget is pretty cheap. My buddy who is big into cars suggested I just get a body lift instead of going the full route of a 1000 dollar + Lift with shocks. Its apparently a lot cheaper but that's what worries me. Is it worth just getting the body lifted? Or should I just save up the 1500 bucks to drop on a lift kit.

Most times, the cheaper route isn’t the most functional. Do you plan on running larger tires? If not, no point, in my opinion.

If you’re going to a larger tire, I’d simply wait for a spring lift. The last thing I’d do is add a body lift. The body lift can be done later, if you decide to do a tummy tuck or need a bit more clearance for your tires.

I remember asking myself the same question when I first purchased my Jeep. Very happy I waited, because as of yet, I haven’t needed the body lift.

Reactions: Tob
Most times, the cheaper route isn’t the most functional. Do you plan on running larger tires? If not, no point, in my opinion.

If you’re going to a larger tire, I’d simply wait for a spring lift. The last thing I’d do is add a body lift. The body lift can be done later, if you decide to do a tummy tuck or need a bit more clearance for your tires.

I remember asking myself the same question when I first purchased my Jeep. Very happy I waited, because as of yet, I haven’t needed the body lift.

I intended to throw 35's onto it because on our white jeep it has 33's with No lift and its more so for clearance for the tires. Even with that being said you think I should just wait for the spring lift?

@GavinsBlueJeep I believe at 35” tires, even with a spring lift, you’ll need a body lift to get the proper articulation under your Jeep. Again, that’s if you’re planning on taking your Jeep to some decent trails. If you’re doing occasional fire trails and mostly enjoying the visual aesthetic of the lift, in my opinion, you wont need a body lift.

Give it some time on your question. You’ll get a few suggestions from other members.

33s need 4"of total lift. 35s need about an inch more.

to get to 35's and enough lift to work them requires supporting sys. it's not just the 1500 for a kit.
it's the parts they don't mention so they don't scare you away that you need to be prepared to cover as well.

33's with no lift is already a poor example to follow.

these guys are gonna lead you to building a JEEP, not a cruiser. and be reluctant to advise putting together a hack sys just to have a cool look. if you want to build a usable machine your guestimate of 1500 is shy by 50% at least. and your best bet is to start upgrading the supporting sys 1st, as your budget allows.

so are you building a JEEP or a cruiser roll around campus/town?

Reactions: Tob, JMT and L J
So im 19, and I have been working on my 2002 For a little while now and the next thing I wanted to do was put a little lift on it about 3-4 inches so I could have a little extra clearance. Although, as I said before. Im only 19. So my budget is pretty cheap. My buddy who is big into cars suggested I just get a body lift instead of going the full route of a 1000 dollar + Lift with shocks. Its apparently a lot cheaper but that's what worries me. Is it worth just getting the body lifted? Or should I just save up the 1500 bucks to drop on a lift kit.
Do they no longer teach math in school?

Yep. But I don't understand it.

images.png

• Haha
Reactions: L J
Body lift is fine up to 1.25”. Anything over that looks extremely stupid.

You can get a Zone 4.25” combo lift for much less than $1500 and be good to go for 33’s. This would be my recommendation. This kit is highly reviewed.

However, Your gearing would suck.

if you wanted to have better gearing, don’t install the body lift and run 31’s

JMT

Reactions: Tob
As previously said, you only want a body lift that is 1.25" or less. Anything beyond that is highly ill-advised.

BTW, a little lift would be 1-2” tops. With a budget I’d do a 2” and 31’s. They look awesome. With a 1” body lift on top of that you could run 32’s, which is better and maybe the best proportions for a TJ

Im guessing you dont have the money to regear, the money to buy adjustable links, and a SYE...just a few things to support a 35 inch tire.

I would just stick with a 31 inch tire, 2 inch springs (~$300), and RS5000X shocks (~$200). You will still need to address the tires and gearing in the axles. That is unless you dont give a shit and do not care to do it right.

Anyone mention a budget boost, new shocks and a few puck will give you 2in pretty cheap. Add in wheel spacers and a few washers for rubbing.

Not saying I would do this but I was once 19, poor with a Jeep.

Reactions: RMETeeJay