Should I lease a Jeep?

chloe

Any recommendations or tips to lease a Jeep Wrangler? Any reason I shouldn't?
Also what are the main differences between Unlimited, Sport, Rubicon, or Sahara?
Any big differences between the 2 and 4 doors?

These articles will talk about how expensive it is to lease. Dave estimates about 14% interest being charged in a lease. (this is an estimated / calculated number) Its the most profitable way a dealership makes money, so if they are making the most money, you are losing the most.

Used is the way to go, and paying cash is as well (as in no loan). But know that Wranglers (at least in the Midwest) are holding their value really well right now. You will pay more initially, but you will be able to sell for more at a future date. (hopefully)

New Wranglers are expensive right now as well. They used to be basic, and now they are not. In 2017 you could get a base JK for 24ish and now that's up toe 31ish. Jeep is cashing in on the popularity.

Unlimited- 4 door
Sport- basic Jeep
Rubicon-Factory beefed up for stronger off road
Sahara- better trim package

My wife has the four door with a fancier trim package. She loves her Jeep. Only real complaint is hers has wind noise over 50 mph.

Reactions: JMT
These articles will talk about how expensive it is to lease. Dave estimates about 14% interest being charged in a lease. (this is an estimated / calculated number) Its the most profitable way a dealership makes money, so if they are making the most money, you are losing the most.

Used is the way to go, and paying cash is as well (as in no loan). But know that Wranglers (at least in the Midwest) are holding their value really well right now. You will pay more initially, but you will be able to sell for more at a future date. (hopefully)

New Wranglers are expensive right now as well. They used to be basic, and now they are not. In 2017 you could get a base JK for 24ish and now that's up toe 31ish. Jeep is cashing in on the popularity.
Not all vehicles are the same. We lease a new BMW every 3 years for my wife. After working on them for about 7 years I would never consider buying one, certified or not. It wouldn’t be worth anything after a few years of ownership.

The payment is merely added to our cost of living expenses. My wife always has a safe car with a full bumper to bumper warranty and free road side assistance along with free maintenance.

I bought my TJ cash and I walk to work so this option works for us.

Lease a TJ? Not sure who in their right mind would agree to that at this point in time. ;)

Reactions: BoldlyGoing
He most likely means a JL. I wouldn’t lease one because you won’t be able to modify it or use it for anything other than a commuter car. Unless that is the intent.

And as for leasing. If you know what you are doing and especially if the manufacturer subsidizes leases (I.e. BMW up until about 2 years ago) it can be a good deal as long as you don’t like to keep vehicles forever.

Interest rate on a lease is easy to calculate. Just take money factor x 2400.

I typically lease my commuter vehicle because in 2-3 years I’m wanting something new.

Don’t lease a fun vehicle like a sports car or Jeep

Reactions: Rubicon John
We are in a TJ crowd and we think totally the opposite of the angry eyes grille crowd. I know bec. I own a JK :)

1st, if it's a JL there's no way the brand new Jeep will see off road trails for a year.
2nd, there are not much aftermarkets yet, and so no mods for the next few years anyway.

JL Purpose: Daily commute, weekend malls and driveway show off from neighbors.

So I say "LEASE".

Last edited:
Leasing is a great option if you buy/sell vehicles frequently. But only if the deal is a good one. You need to do a lot of research on how they work and how to negotiate them.

Wranglers should be a good vehicle to lease, due to strong resale values. But I have not seen any lease deals advertised on them that are remotely good. The terms are mostly dictated by the manufacturer, and I would guess that Jeep doesn't see much use in offering good leases on such a popular model.

3 years old. Lease is still the most expensive way to drive a vehicle.
How do you figure ?

No money down & the payment is usually 1/2 or 1/3 of what it would be monthly vs owning it & for a much shorter term. ALWAYS, covered under MFG warranty, so your never, ever paying for repairs & by the time it needs any major maintenance like brakes or tires etc, it's time to give it back. You always have a newer updated / upgraded, latest, greatest technology, still in style vehicle with all the best safety features. If you leased it & you don't really like it, or it's not what you thought it was, or it's a P.O.S lemon, your NOT stuck with it. Another HUGE benefit is sales tax savings. You only pay sales tax on the portion of the vehicle your using in most cases 40-50% of ( NY 8.65% ) & lets not forget the right off for some people, that's not available when buying. Why do you want to own something that every day depreciates so much ?

Buy what appreciates, lease what depreciates. Only 2 downfalls I can think of regarding leasing are:

1. If you drive more then 12-15,000 mi per year it doesn't make sense.
2. Your stuck in the lease / very hard to get out, unless you only have a few months left.

Last edited:
Buy what appreciates, lease what depreciates. Only 2 downfalls I can think of regarding leasing are:

2. Your stuck in the lease / very hard to get out, unless you only have a few months left.
You forgot the downfall that after paying ~$300-$400 a month for 3 years and then returning it, you have nothing to show for the $10,800 - $14,400 you paid Jeep.

Reactions: ballpark and Starrs
You forgot the downfall that after paying ~$300-$400 a month for 3 years and then returning it, you have nothing to show for the $10,800 - $14,400 you paid Jeep.

You still have the $15,000 - $20,000 still in your pocket that you didn't spend paying $500 - $600 mo for 5 or 6 yrs + the tax savings & NO repair costs. 😲 😲 😲

Just because you don't have a physical item in your driveway to look at or "SHOW FOR IT " DOESN'T mean that's the not smartest way !!! 🤓

How do you figure ?

No money down & the payment is usually 1/2 or 1/3 of what it would be monthly vs owning it & for a much shorter term. ALWAYS, covered under MFG warranty, so your never, ever paying for repairs & by the time it needs any major maintenance like brakes or tires etc, it's time to give it back. You always have a newer updated / upgraded, latest, greatest technology, still in style vehicle with all the best safety features. If you leased it & you don't really like it, or it's not what you thought it was, or it's a P.O.S lemon, your NOT stuck with it. Another HUGE benefit is sales tax savings. You only pay sales tax on the portion of the vehicle your using in most cases 40-50% of ( NY 8.65% ) & lets not forget the right off for some people, that's not available when buying. Why do you want to own something that every day depreciates so much ?

You can debate how leasing a vehicle always works out, but when you turn that depreciating asset back in after your done test driving it for 3 years you get absolutely nothing back. You get fucked Everytime. People should just save their money and have a good down payment to finance

Reactions: Fouledplugs