Should I re-gear for 33s or get smaller tires?

would 4.56 be a happy medium between 4.10 and 4.88 with the 33's? Aalso i have a buddy says he can help me out when i am ready to regear any idea on coast if we do the work? So many thongs you can do choices are tough. And thank you for all the replies for I am new to the TJ world

would 4.56 be a happy medium between 4.10 and 4.88 with the 33's? Aalso i have a buddy says he can help me out when i am ready to regear any idea on coast if we do the work? So many thongs you can do choices are tough. And thank you for all the replies for I am new to the TJ world

Why do that to yourself? 4.10 isn't good and 4.56 not as good as 4.88 would be.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
4.10 is the factory ratio for his combo. 4.88 would be the right ratio for 33's.

As said before,decide what it will be used for and make a plan to get there before spending money. Ask us lots of questions!

Hi so if on 33's and you do alot of road miles, with Occasional off road what would you Personally recommend..

My point was instead of asking if 4.56 was low enough / a good compromise between 4.10 and 4.88, to ask if anyone had regeared and thought they went too low. I have heard many say they didn’t go low enough, so asking how many went too low seemed the thing to do.

Hi so if on 33's and you do alot of road miles, with Occasional off road what would you Personally recommend..

On road vs off road makes no difference. Regearing for the road is often already lower than many expect it to be. Doing so for pavement will only be beneficial for off-road driving.

Put it like this. Gearing 4.88 with 33s puts you close to stock rpms but on the high side(for a 2.5l 5 speed).

Bigger tires need lower gears than stock to overcome the extra weight and rolling resistance. Gearing anything less than 4.88 will bog the motor down and cause you to use more throttle.which in turn will make the engine use more fuel. Why drive a turd around?

Not gearing enough for a given vehicle has no benefits.

Reactions: Painfultruth
Put it like this. Gearing 4.88 with 33s puts you close to stock rpms but on the high side(for a 2.5l 5 speed).

Bigger tires need lower gears than stock to overcome the extra weight and rolling resistance. Gearing anything less than 4.88 will bog the motor down and cause you to use more throttle.which in turn will make the engine use more fuel. Why drive a turd around?

Thank you ive a 4.0 in mine and I've had Conflicting information, even from a few garages I've talked to ..some say 4.10 .and others 4 88 ?🤪

Thank you ive a 4.0 in mine and I've had Conflicting information, even from a few garages I've talked to ..some say 4.10 .and others 4 88 ?🤪

Garages? Common BS from people you’d think would know better. If I had $1 for every stupid thing a garage recommended that people posted up I could’ve built my whole Jeep with the earnings.

Reactions: Painfultruth
Garages? Common BS from people you’d think would know better. If I had $1 for every stupid thing a garage recommended that people posted up I could’ve built my whole Jeep with the earnings.

So with a 4.0 and 3 speed auto.. the question I've asked them all is what do i need to fit to just get a Good Acceleration and sustain 70-75 mph quite happily on the motorway.. At the moment if I put my foot to the floor ,she will take off quite quick but then sort of fades out at around 45 to 50 and then it's like like an asthmatic cow.

So what gears do you think I should do and thanks for the response

Simply figuring out that part could have prevented 2 pages of this nonsense.

You are 40 years old, should be setting example for others, yet undecisive as a woman and writes like one too.

Setting an example?, to what, not ask a question your unsure of it was an simple question don't need your input thanks

So with a 4.0 and 3 speed auto.. the question I've asked them all is what do i need to fit to just get a Good Acceleration and sustain 70-75 mph quite happily on the motorway.. At the moment if I put my foot to the floor ,she will take off quite quick but then sort of fades out at around 45 to 50 and then it's like like an asthmatic cow.

Do you have stock 3.07 or 3.73 gears now? I wouldn't waste the money to regear from 3.73 to 4.10.

1677421337470.png

As others have pointed out, 4.88 is correct, but you seem hesitant to accept the advice. Maybe this will help to clarify.

Do you have stock 3.07 or 3.73 gears now? I wouldn't waste the money to regear from 3.73 to 4.10.

Hi il have a look when I pull them out , but probably the 3.07 as she's struggling .. I mean to get to 60mph take longer than before. Plus the fuel consumption is really bad . There is a tag on the Differential casing with a load of numbers on it would that give me an idea of her gearing.