SJ’s TJ

Another update. I got the links in from wide open designs on Friday which allowed my get the front axle in at ride height:
IMG_3888.jpeg

This also allowed me to get a rough wheelbase measurement. Looks like I’m coming in at 103” wheelbase for my 40” tires. I already had a 5” rear stretch and now I stretched the front 5” as well. Should be pretty well balanced I’m hoping.

I also got the front shock hoops and support finialized:

IMG_3896.jpeg

I’m looking to get the front ORI struts mounted up front by the end of the week. Then I’ll be off frame jackstands and the Jeep will be supported by the struts front and back. Then maybe put the tires on??

Looks good. Nice use of the connectors on the support. Do you have to slide it forward to remove it - or can it be lifted straight up?

Interested to see how you like the ORI’s.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
Looks good. Nice use of the connectors on the support. Do you have to slide it forward to remove it - or can it be lifted straight up?

Interested to see how you like the ORI’s.

I have to slide it forward to get it off. I have to do the same with the rear.

I like the idea of the simplicity of the ORIs. I’m doing high speed stuff so the ORIs should be fine.

I built the track bar and started mocking that up:

IMG_3898.jpeg

I still need to cut down the frame side track bar mount since I’m using the top hole. Everything clears, but it’s a little tight. I can play with the misalignment spacers to gain some clearance. I will likely need to clearance the truss to clear the bolt head on the track bar. Next up is some gussets on the shock hoops, then the shock mounts.

I added some gussets to the shock hoops and welded in the orbital mount:

IMG_3904.jpeg

I also welded the shock tabs and trimmed down the frame side track bar mount. I was hoping the warm weather would hold out to get this painted, but it’s going to be in the 60s all week. Oh well, it’s got to get painted. I’ll just wait for the rain to stop.

Next up is trimming up the grill more to fit the front half kit. Then I’ll finalize the radiator mounting location. Coming together now.

Those carbon fiber control arms must have been crazy expensive…

🙂

I didn’t realize you were going full hydro. Vey cool - and nice work.

Reactions: Sj's TJ and Wildman
Stuff has been coming together for me the last few days after hitting road block after road block. The Jeep is now under its own weight on the ORI struts, I finalized the grill trimming needed for the front half kit and got the radiator mounted in its final resting place. I also had to modify the shook hoop brace to clear the hood. I also, got the hood trimmed for the highline fenders:

IMG_3914.jpeg

I also got the orbital mounted and made the steering shaft. I’ll still need to make a support, but that will happen down the road:

IMG_3908.jpeg

I think at this point I can finish the under dash wiring for the motor harness and then try to fire up the LS?? Crazy to think I’m getting close to that. I’m pretty stoked!

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted any updates. I’ve fired up the LS, but I’m chasing down some cylinders that aren’t firing at idle. While waiting for parts I built all the brake hard lines and got the front axle closer to being done:

IMG_4008.jpeg

IMG_4009.jpeg

I’m in the process of getting the fenders back with the grill so I can get the motor up to temp so the computer can learn the idle. I can also get the steering hoses installed and setup. She’s starting to really come together now.

Looking Great, can't wait to see it done and out on the trails. I know all about chasing pesky engine issues. Keep at it.

I've got axle envy when I look at builds like yours & @NashvilleTJ

Reactions: Sj's TJ
Looking Great, can't wait to see it done and out on the trails. I know all about chasing pesky engine issues. Keep at it.

I've got axle envy when I look at builds like yours & @NashvilleTJ

Thanks Rick. I just read through your latest posts and I can relate.

These 08 super axles are pretty beefy that's for sure. I went with some new OEM 1550 front axle shafts so hopefully the are strong enough for 40s. If I ever jump up to 42s I would likely need some 1550 chromoly shafts. For the rear I'm just running stock. I know Yukon just started producing chromoly shafts for the Sterling so same story if I ever move up to 42s.

Thanks Rick. I just read through your latest posts and I can relate.

These 08 super axles are pretty beefy that's for sure. I went with some new OEM 1550 front axle shafts so hopefully the are strong enough for 40s. If I ever jump up to 42s I would likely need some 1550 chromoly shafts. For the rear I'm just running stock. I know Yukon just started producing chromoly shafts for the Sterling so same story if I ever move up to 42s.

I'll see how long those RCV's can live with the 38's. And maybe I won't break another ring & pinion in my rear. If I start breaking stuff again I'll have to finally step up to the Dana 60 front & 14 Bolt rear like Jeff.