SJ’s TJ

I ordered some Corvette headers as they should be better for the drivers side. While I wait for those so I can finish boxing in the motor mounts, I started working on the Sterling 10.5. I got the upper and lower CA brackets burned in:

IMG_3582.jpeg

IMG_3577.jpeg

IMG_3576.jpeg

I need to start mocking up the rear shock towers for the 14” ORIs. Hopefully I don’t need to cut into the tub, but I probably won’t get that lucky.

Continuing work to get the rear axle squared away. I’ve got the drivers side shock tower almost done. Since I had stretched the rear before I had to cut the old towers of to fit the new towers:

IMG_3596.jpeg

Then I got the new towers started:

IMG_3662.jpeg

Then I finished boxing in the space behind that was the old tower for strength and looks:

IMG_3665.jpeg

Still needs cleaning up, but it’s mostly done. Then I’ll do the same thing to the other side.

did you stack the shock towers like this because you couldn't get the desired angle sitting on the frame?

Basically yes. These towers are designed to sit on top of a back-half so they are angled out. I needed the extra length since I will be running 14" ORI Struts and I need enough space for those to clear both the frame and tire at full flex.

Reactions: MeanGreen86
I also painted the rear axle and got the Ballistic cover on before I paint that:

IMG_3697.jpeg

Now I can move my attention back to the front when I will finalize the motor mounts and start the LS accessories and wiring. More to come!

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
I have the rear shock towers completed. This includes a removable crossbar so I can use the back seat driving around town and then put the bar in when I wheel:

View attachment 445883

View attachment 445884

View attachment 445885

Any plans to close off the shock towers? Or are you going to leave them open?

I also painted the rear axle and got the Ballistic cover on before I paint that:

View attachment 445887

Now I can move my attention back to the front when I will finalize the motor mounts and start the LS accessories and wiring. More to come!

Ballistic makes some sweet looking covers.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Any plans to close off the shock towers? Or are you going to leave them open?

Ballistic makes some sweet looking covers.

I'm still thinking, but I know I want to use the existing carpet to keep things tidy on the inside. Maybe some kind of flexible material that I can tape/glue on that the carpet sits on top of and keeps the weather out. That will be a down the line problem to tackle. I need to get focus back up front on the LS, then the front axle.

Reactions: Wildman
I have some updates to the build. I finalized the motor mounts to clear the Corvette headers and got them painted:

IMG_3721.jpeg

As you can see the section closest to the firewall was clearanced to accommodate the headers. They are both boxed in and I’m glad to have these done so I can put the drivetrain for the last time.

I am also in the process of finalizing the accessories on the motor itself so I don’t have to pull it again to something. The exhaust manifolds are on with gaskets and torqued to spec and I also got the PS pump and alternator mounted using a bracket kit by Goat Built:

IMG_3722.jpeg

The Goat Built bracket was an awesome piece of engineering. Everything went together perfectly and the instructions and diagrams were excellent.

I am also in the process of finalizing the accessories on the motor itself so I don’t have to pull it again to something. The exhaust manifolds are on with gaskets and torqued to spec and I also got the PS pump and alternator mounted using a bracket kit by Goat Built:

View attachment 448102

The Goat Built bracket was an awesome piece of engineering. Everything went together perfectly and the instructions and diagrams were excellent.

Did you have to get a custom length belt or can you reuse the factory one? I’m planning to go this route just to get the power steering pump tucked up higher.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
I took a break from cutting and grinding on the Dana 60 to tackle a quick side step job. These steps are longer than I needed, so I cut them down and added sleeves to keep them strong:
View attachment 396601

And here is how it looked welded to my existing rocker guard:
View attachment 396602

These will serve as a step and a pivot point for rocks to stay off the tub.

did you get these tubes and step pre-fab online? where from?

Reactions: Sj's TJ
Did you have to get a custom length belt or can you reuse the factory one? I’m planning to go this route just to get the power steering pump tucked up higher.

The instructions have recommended belt lengths based on the type of PS pump. I haven't bought a belt yet. Goat Built has the instructions on the website here:

https://goatbuilt.com/wp-content/uploads/4421-V2-TO-PRINT.pdf

See page 3. I'm going to try an 84" and 85" belt and see which one fits best.

Reactions: Lax22 and Wildman
It’s been a couple weeks since I last posted. In that time, the motor I had swapped in was seized. Piston #3 got rusted closed. I had to breakdown the motor all the way to figure that out. Instead of cleaning this one up and taking it to a machine shop, I opted to find another motor. I got the new motor in and started hooking up wires:

IMG_3875.jpeg

IMG_3877.jpeg

IMG_3878.jpeg

I’m waiting on a few more parts to begin splicing in more wires.

I took a break from motor work to finalize the rear axle. I got the shock mounts welded up:

IMG_3862.jpeg

Then I got both of the ORI struts mounted up and pressurized correctly for my setup:

IMG_3880.jpeg

In addition, I welded up the CA mounts on the front Dana 60 and got it painted up:

IMG_3859.jpeg

Now I’m waiting for Wide Open Designs to finish making my links so I can attach the 60 and start mocking the front shock towers and orbital. Lots more to come.

It’s been a couple weeks since I last posted. In that time, the motor I had swapped in was seized. Piston #3 got rusted closed. I had to breakdown the motor all the way to figure that out. Instead of cleaning this one up and taking it to a machine shop, I opted to find another motor. I got the new motor in and started hooking up wires:

View attachment 456172

View attachment 456173

View attachment 456174

I’m waiting on a few more parts to begin splicing in more wires.

Well…..LS.

😉

Man, tough break. Sounds like you are past it though.