Snap ring plier suggestions for Johnny Joints

Sharp flat edges on washer and snap ring face out away from the race.
Has to do with them being stamped out of flat sheet metal. The side the punch hits first is rounded over slightly and then other side has what is basically a small burr around the edge. The burr or sharp side goes against the non moving area. Or similar to using a washer under the head of a bolt, the smooth side goes against the bolt head and the sharp side goes against whatever you are bolting.

I was referring specifically to the Channellock 6" reversible snap ring pliers that were posted in the second post here. I would assume the Knipex don't flex at all. The Channellocks do...
The tips work the same way the edges on the snap ring do. They are supposed to be sharper on the inner or outer edges depending on internal or external. The Channellock versions get dull very fast and then won't stay in the holes.

So one pair of straight knipex and one pair of 90* knipex at least to start. Now to decide bore diameter to choose from on those....

Reactions: Ed1967
Reactions: JMT
I fought my snap rings on suspension joints with a pair of replaceable end channel lock snap ring pliers. They are fine for small stuff, but no way getting the large snap rings out. I ended up buying some cheap 90 degree needle nose pliers and started trimming the ends with an air grinder and fine tuning with a file until they just fit the eyes of the snap ring. There is no noticeable flex. The tips are D shaped leaving the grooves in place. They are specialized, but have used them on smaller inner rings too.

snapring_pliers-jpg.jpg

snapring_pliers2-jpg.jpg

Reactions: nathanotis and JMT
With regard to the Knipex options, can we talk model numbers? I'm seeing a few (Only shopping Amazon at the moment) different models and I don't know enough to say which is good and which might be passed on. Of the 2 options I linked, it looks like one has forged ends, which sounds good to me... Help a brother out?

4621A31

4421J21

With regard to the Knipex options, can we talk model numbers? I'm seeing a few (Only shopping Amazon at the moment) different models and I don't know enough to say which is good and which might be passed on. Of the 2 options I linked, it looks like one has forged ends, which sounds good to me... Help a brother out?

4621A31

4421J21
Those both mention having forged ends. I think the difference is in the diameter snap rings they are effective at removing. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of these tools will chime in.

Reactions: nathanotis

4621A31

4421J21
Ok, figured it out. The difference is the J21 is for internal snap rings, like on a CA.

The A31 is an external snap ring, like on an SYE.

And J31 (Link) seems to be the Internal, 90* in the appropriate size for this task (40-100mm)
The nice thing about the Knipex external pair is the limiter screw. If set properly you can’t overstretch the snap ring.

Last edited:
Reactions: nathanotis