Snowblower Questions

Yes it's that big beast of a snowblower. It's a single stage I'm fairly sure. I borrowed my neighbors and his is a 2 stage and that thing throw some snow. Mine is very old. Not sure of it's age but it is very old.

I wear shorts almost year round as it makes it easier to access my prosthetic.

Yes it's that big beast of a snowblower. It's a single stage I'm fairly sure. I borrowed my neighbors and his is a 2 stage and that thing throw some snow. Mine is very old. Not sure of it's age but it is very old.

I wear shorts almost year round as it makes it easier to access my prosthetic.
Yeah that's a 2 stage looking at the earlier photos in the thread. Try doing the impeller mod, it's super cheap and definitely increases the throwing distance on those machines. I had a 1978 Toro 826 for a while, which is an identical machine just with a bit larger engine, and the impeller mod helped a lot.

These vids will give you an idea on how to do it:

Reactions: alittleoff
My snowblower is ready to go. 36" cut, 12 hp. Single stage, but it throws the snow!
IMG_20201229_192153133.jpg
IMG_20201229_192225345.jpg

Two thing left to do. One is bend up some headlight brackets. Two is install my tire chains. Neither will keep me from removing snow

• Love
Reactions: qslim and Wildman
My snowblower is ready to go. 36" cut, 12 hp. Single stage, but it throws the snow!View attachment 214220View attachment 214221

Two thing left to do. One is bend up some headlight brackets. Two is install my tire chains. Neither will keep me from removing snow
The Simplicity setup is a nice solid platform, just found an older 9020 with a bucket I expect to pick up soon.

Reactions: Mike_H
Yeah that's a 2 stage looking at the earlier photos in the thread. Try doing the impeller mod, it's super cheap and definitely increases the throwing distance on those machines. I had a 1978 Toro 826 for a while, which is an identical machine just with a bit larger engine, and the impeller mod helped a lot.

These vids will give you an idea on how to do it:

I'd looked at that snowblower for 8 years and always thought it was a single stage blower. But you'd peaked my interest so I looked closely today. I stand corrected as by galle it's a 2 stage blower. So I'm going to try his trick for making it work better.

20201229_103037.jpg

I'd looked at that snowblower for 8 years and always thought it was a single stage blower. But you'd peaked my interest so I looked closely today. I stand corrected as by galle it's a 2 stage blower. So I'm going to try his trick for making it work better.

View attachment 214224
is that to add some rubber "paddles" to the second stage? I have read that will toss the snow way farther

Reactions: Wildman
is that to add some rubber "paddles" to the second stage? I have read that will toss the snow way farther

Yes jeepguy03 posted a video of how the guy does this so I am going to try and copy it. I have an old mud flap that I can use to make the rubber paddles with. I need to go to the hardware store and get some self tapping screws.

Reactions: cliffish
Yes jeepguy03 posted a video of how the guy does this so I am going to try and copy it. I have an old mud flap that I can use to make the rubber paddles with. I need to go to the hardware store and get some self tapping screws.
Well...if you want another forum to join go to https://www.snowblowerforum.com/ they are just as crazy about blowers as we are about TJ's. I joined to pick my next purchase, but they discuss every mod on any year blower.

My snowblower is ready to go. 36" cut, 12 hp. Single stage, but it throws the snow!View attachment 214220View attachment 214221

Your going to need a buncha weight in the back for that rig to work, gotta counterbalance the blower on the front.

i had 400lbs + wheel weights + chains on all fours (2wd) + heavy cab on my steel framed JD 425. Wasnt much it couldnt go thru, but there were a few days when i could have used more weight.

Your going to need a buncha weight in the back for that rig to work, gotta counterbalance the blower on the front.

i had 400lbs + wheel weights + chains on all fours (2wd) + heavy cab on my steel framed JD 425. Wasnt much it couldnt go thru, but there were a few days when i could have used more weight.
I might. I run the blower on the shoes and I'm driving on concrete. All the weight of the blower will be on the ground and it will "float" so it won't be trying to lift the rear of the tractor.

My last tractor was a bit bigger, but I never struggled with traction running chains and wheel weights.

I might. I run the blower on the shoes and I'm driving on concrete. All the weight of the blower will be on the ground and it will "float" so it won't be trying to lift the rear of the tractor.

My last tractor was a bit bigger, but I never struggled with traction running chains and wheel weights.
Sorry, didnt see any wheel weights in the pic.

IF I wasnt running as much weight as I did, my JD would have a tendency to ride up on top of the snow. When I stopped, it would sink and get stuck. The more weight I used, the less that would happen. Plus my 48" 2 stage was super heavy

IMG_6857.JPG

I also need to run heavier weight for the loader bucket

IMG_4010.JPG

Sorry, didnt see any wheel weights in the pic.

IF I wasnt running as much weight as I did, my JD would have a tendency to ride up on top of the snow. When I stopped, it would sink and get stuck. The more weight I used, the less that would happen. Plus my 48" 2 stage was super heavy

View attachment 214352

I also need to run heavier weight for the loader bucket

View attachment 214351
You didn't miss them. I don't have my chains or weights installed yet.

That JD 420 is a nice machine. Kinda wish I could find one of them around that someone didn't want their first born for...

My snowblower is ready to go. 36" cut, 12 hp. Single stage, but it throws the snow!

That's an awesome setup, love the Simplicity! Is it a Broadmoor? I used to have a few antique lawn tractors back in high school.

It should work well for you! Really makes a big difference on the older snowblowers especially with performance in slush. Another trick is painting and waxing the inside of the chute.
You didn't miss them. I don't have my chains or weights installed yet.

That JD 420 is a nice machine. Kinda wish I could find one of them around that someone didn't want their first born for...
They hold their value really well, and are built like tanks.

I use a couple of these little 2 stroke wonders for clearing sidewalks for my apartments, amazing what they can do

No more blowers for me, Mr Plow now

Jealous of the ATV with the plow, definitely the most fun option. I used an old 4x4 Suzuki with a plow back when I worked on a farm in high school, moved a decent amount of snow quickly.

The Toro 2-stroke single stages work awesome, I have a 4-stroke version, the 721R, and it's quite impressive. I often choose it over my garden tractor with the blower because with the rubber paddles it cleans down to the pavement, and it's easier to fit in tight spaces.

Reactions: Thatguy
That's an awesome setup, love the Simplicity! Is it a Broadmoor? I used to have a few antique lawn tractors back in high school.

It should work well for you! Really makes a big difference on the older snowblowers especially with performance in slush. Another trick is painting and waxing the inside of the chute.

They hold their value really well, and are built like tanks.
It is a Broadmoor, Good Eye! 1964. Started life as a 6 HP pull start. Its not that anymore...

Well my LIFE SUCKS SHIT right now.......

Out snowblowing the driveway and I make a pass up it and turn around to come back towards the end and I see something laying in the driveway. I'm thinking it's a rootball or something at first but as I get closer I see it's the starter for the snowblower...... WTF else can go wrong......

20201230_083635.jpg

20201230_083641.jpg

If you look you can see this red ring at the nose of the starter. I'm not sure yet what type of metal it's made of yet so I don't know if I can weld it back together or not. But I did find one on Ebay so it'll be here around the 10 Jan 21.

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
Well my LIFE SUCKS SHIT right now.......

Out snowblowing the driveway and I make a pass up it and turn around to come back towards the end and I see something laying in the driveway. I'm thinking it's a rootball or something at first but as I get closer I see it's the starter for the snowblower...... WTF else can go wrong......

View attachment 214424

View attachment 214425

If you look you can see this red ring at the nose of the starter. I'm not sure yet what type of metal it's made of yet so I don't know if I can weld it back together or not. But I did find one on Ebay so it'll be here around the 10 Jan 21.
That sucks. Did the gear come off, or the whole starter from the block?

That sucks. Did the gear come off, or the whole starter from the block?

The whole starter from the block

1609366301519.png

This is the bracket and it broke right at the bend.

Just to make life worse my daughters car is broke down again also.