Snowblower Questions

What worked?

Getting the puller with as much tension as I could and pounding on the pulley. It finally started moving a little so I'd tighten it and smack it and repeat. It did not want to come off that shaft.

The adapter is longer than the pulley so I'm going to guess that I need it cut it to fit?

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Had to run into town for longer bolts to mount the new engine swap so I picked up new belts for the snowblower also.

20211214_115512.jpg

Damn stuff has gotten expensive 😕. $50 for two belts.....
That is just crazy.

Wait - I thought the Spyders and Mickey Stickies were for the Snow Blower. Those tires on there now are clearly all-terrains.

That would be pretty COOL... Don't know it could turn those big meats.

I ended up doing a little more than I'd planned to the snowblower. All the mounting bolts for the belly pan were stripped out and a couple of them had fallen out and been lost. So instead of just throwing it back together with the remaining bolts I went ahead and drilled them out and installed nutzerts. And old old pan bolts at 1/4-20 so I had more than enough to replace all the bolts.

20211214_152556.jpg

20211214_152604.jpg

And then I had to fab up something to hold the chute direction control rod a little further away from the engine. But it's all back together and it is running again.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
You'll love the power difference with the new engine, it transforms it into a different machine.

I'm looking forward to testing it out. Thought I had a old mud flap to so that mod to the 2nd stage but I must have thrown them out when I was cleaning. So I need to pick up a cheap pair so I can get that done. It might end up waiting until next spring/summer.

Reactions: jeepguy03
I'm looking forward to testing it out. Thought I had a old mud flap to so that mod to the 2nd stage but I must have thrown them out when I was cleaning. So I need to pick up a cheap pair so I can get that done. It might end up waiting until next spring/summer.
When I do the mod on snowblowers for myself/customers I buy a rubber paddle kit for a Toro S-620 snowblower. They are thicker than mud flaps with a threaded backing and are meant for this type of application. They hold up much better than the mud flaps which seem to rip or have chunks come off over time. No metal plate needed with these, just a washer with the bolt is all that is needed to keep them in place.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1533757917...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Reactions: Wildman
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
At least they had the belts in stock. How much did you end up putting into this blower so far?

About $225-250 for the whole repower. I didn't HAVE to replace the belts but I figured I should while I had it torn apart.

When I do the mod on snowblowers for myself/customers I buy a rubber paddle kit for a Toro S-620 snowblower. They are thicker than mud flaps with a threaded backing and are meant for this type of application. They hold up much better than the mud flaps which seem to rip or have chunks come off over time. No metal plate needed with these, just a washer with the bolt is all that is needed to keep them in place.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1533757917...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Thanks for that link. I'll order up the kit and do mine. Also do you know of a good place to get the roll pins for the axle? I keep braking the ones I got at NAPA.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
About $225-250 for the whole repower. I didn't HAVE to replace the belts but I figured I should while I had it torn apart.

Thanks for that link. I'll order up the kit and do mine. Also do you know of a good place to get the roll pins for the axle? I keep braking the ones I got at NAPA.
Nice, a whole lot better than getting new machine that is not as well built. I agree, replace the belts while you are in there and keep the old ones as an emergency back up.

Are they on the outside to lock the wheels or internal for the axle shaft itself? I believe the OEM Toro pins are hardened but I could be wrong. Do you have the Toro model number for the machine? A few years ago I had an Ariens that kept doing the same thing. There was wear inside causing the roll pin to shear easier. I ended up just drilling it out a size bigger and sticking a bolt in it. No issues since.

Are they on the outside to lock the wheels or internal for the axle shaft itself? I believe the OEM Toro pins are hardened but I could be wrong. Do you have the Toro model number for the machine? A few years ago I had an Ariens that kept doing the same thing. There was wear inside causing the roll pin to shear easier. I ended up just drilling it out a size bigger and sticking a bolt in it. No issues since.

It's the drive sprocket to axle shaft. I've put two roll pins in and then a bolt and they have all broken. The bolt wasn't a grade 5 or 8.

Here is the roll pin I'm talking about.

20201215_134219-jpg.jpg

And a short video if it helps any.

I don't know if this is the info you need?

20210113_185915.jpg

20210113_190850.jpg

Nice, a whole lot better than getting new machine that is not as well built. I agree, replace the belts while you are in there and keep the old ones as an emergency back up.

Yes it is, about 1/4 the price of a new one and they aren't as made as well anymore. Plus while this one is OLD and could use a few nice updates it's simple and for the small area I have it's really all I need.
Yes that is the plan. I'll hang the old belts on the wall for a "Just in Case".

Is that roll pin supposed to be a weak link? Maybe to keep something else from breaking if it gets bound up?

I'd guess so but the ones I've got from NAPA are breaking from just using it.

Can't get you a video of me using it yet since it hasn't snowed again since Monday. We're only supposed to get flurries today so it isn't going to be enough for me to use it.

BTW @jeepguy03 that engine fired off with the first pull this morning. I just set the choke and turned the fuel on and BOOM one pull and it fired right up.
So thank you for all of your help with this. I'm happy to not of had to spend $1k on a new unit. I would think this will last a long time.

I'd guess so but the ones I've got from NAPA are breaking from just using it.

Can't get you a video of me using it yet since it hasn't snowed again since Monday. We're only supposed to get flurries today so it isn't going to be enough for me to use it.

BTW @jeepguy03 that engine fired off with the first pull this morning. I just set the choke and turned the fuel on and BOOM one pull and it fired right up.
So thank you for all of your help with this. I'm happy to not of had to spend $1k on a new unit. I would think this will last a long time.
Anytime! I like reviving the old stuff, repowering it and fixing it up usually makes for a machine that works better than the flimsy stuff at the box store.

As for the pin I looked up that part number and seem to be getting shear bolts. My guess is there is some play in that shaft where the roll pin goes causing it to shear easier. If you rotate the wheels by hand while in neutral do you feel any binding?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2945929145...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1