So far not impressed with Johnny Joints

Who made your arms? I'm trying to figure out why there are two versions of the Johnny Joint.

i made my arms.
and i bought joints from Currie.

and to take this even 1 step further the opposite end is MC's Duroflex joint, i have willingly negated the warranty if i confess to this fact, but it should give a side by side comparison (sort of).

and to take this even 1 step further the opposite end is MC's Duroflex joint, i have willingly negated the warranty if i confess to this fact, but it should give a side by side comparison (sort of).

All that will really happen is that the JJ will move around more than the DF bushing. It won't be too much different than putting a rubber bushing opposite a JJ.

All you negated was some bullshit.

that's how i'd define a warranty i never expected to use, as the joints are re-build-able. and almost look like identical construction, the materials may vary bit the basic pieces are not totally different.

that's how i'd define a warranty i never expected to use, as the joints are re-build-able. and almost look like identical construction, the materials may vary bit the basic pieces are not totally different.

Not totally different between what and what?

All that will really happen is that the JJ will move around more than the DF bushing. It won't be too much different than putting a rubber bushing opposite a JJ.

this is another aspect of this equation for me.
i'll be taking the CA into work and placing both ends into a fixed jig. and see what pressures it takes to move the joint X amount, and if they will move equal distances at equal pressures.

Not totally different between what and what?

bushing/race may be diff materials but the center section is a balled tube trapped the same way between 2 cups. all held in with a snap ring.

there's enough difference to not infringe on possible patent and copied as close as legally could be.
kinda how it looks to me.

this is another aspect of this equation for me.
i'll be taking the CA into work and placing both ends into a fixed jig. and see what pressures it takes to move the joint X amount, and if they will move equal distances at equal pressures.

Get the JJ greased as described here and it will move around with very little force. The MC won't do the same. All your doing with the mixed setup is making the JJ do more of the work. Not that it matters much on the surface since one of either can handle all the movement one generate from all but the most ridiculous amounts travel squeezed out of a TJ.

bushing/race may be diff materials but the center section is a balled tube trapped the same way between 2 cups. all held in with a snap ring.

there's enough difference to not infringe on possible patent and copied as close as legally could be.
kinda how it looks to me.

Different between what and what? A Johnny Joint and Duraflex bushing?

yah i anticipated how that statement would be met.
i'll let yall know what i can prove if you like........... if not i'm happy with my own personal test

yah i anticipated how that statement would be met.
i'll let yall know what i can prove if you like........... if not i'm happy with my own personal test

All I will say is that the two components are fundamentally different from each other. It's far easier to confuse a JJ with something like a Teraflex joint.

ok......... but if i set them side by side bet you couldn't tell which is which, they are externally identical to the T.

the material around that ball is the only difference.

ok......... but if i set them side by side bet you couldn't tell which is which, they are externally identical to the T.

the material around that ball is the only difference.

Dig deeper. They aren't at all same. And the reasons they aren't the same is the cause of much discord at the Holiday dinner table.

yes i apologize sincerely. i was mistaken about the 2 piece bushing, MC uses a single isolator. vs the jj 2 part.

but for me the test has worth........ i want to know if they can indeed perform = or close enough to =, or if they definitely will not.

again i apologize for the misinformation.

yes i apologize sincerely. i was mistaken about the 2 piece bushing, MC uses a single isolator. vs the jj 2 part.

but for me the test has worth........ i want to know if they can indeed perform = or close enough to =, or if they definitely will not.

again i apologize for the misinformation.
Contrary to what anyone would say if asked, all you are doing it letting the JJ do what it does well and that is move freely with control. The other end is just along for the ride.

^ would that statement ring true, with a jj on both ends?

plz, again forgive me for my mis-statement. this last yr and a half of this build has been like cramming for exams, and sometimes my retention is lacking. i'll be the 1st 1 to admit i don't have the time vested like some of you.

i know the respect for the product you stand behind, and i've been sold solely on recommendations from others i find knowledgeable.
hence the switch to the JJ.
for me personally, i retained the joints from a kit i find a bit to much of a compromise for my taste (i'm trying to dance here, not defame).

i'm very sorry i even raised the issue and mentioned something outside this threads direction.
i can be pigheaded, and have to put my hand into the flame to get it through my thick skull sometimes.

if i can prove to myself, the joints will deflect similarly with similar force, the next thing is lifespan with = maintenance.
if they do not share very close characteristics they will become spare parts or maybe onto a project designated to be sold. not on my rig.

this is in no way a challenge to see who's product is better. this test is to see if my older joint can help and not hinder my new joints capabilities.

Last edited:
We can tell you right off that only one of the two will deflect.

i'm trying to follow the trail.
that statement leads me to believe that 100% of the expected deflection during articulation will come from a singular end and no force will be shared through the arm to the other joint.