So you want to run 35" tires on your TJ?

Nice clean looking TJ Jim! If you have the 5-speed manual, I'd go with nothing other than 4.88 for your 35's. If you have the 6-speed, you could get away with 4.56 but I personally would still go with 4.88. I ran the 35"/5-speed/4.0L /4.88 combination for years and it couldn't have been better for both highway and offroading.
x2 on the 4.88. I have the 6 speed and my 4.88 gears are great 1st gear in 4 low gives me a great low speed crawl.

When I decided to go with an axle upgrade I decided on the Dana 44 with 35 spline axle chromoly shafts. 35 splines are probably overkill but I did not want to snap anymore axle shafts since I had already snapped 2 sets of Dana 35 shafts LOL

Reactions: Chris
Ya think? :applaudit:

Lol
My though process back then was bulletproof axle and also to be able to handle 38s but since then I have decided 35s are the largest tires I will ever go with.

35 splines... Damn!
Lol yea the axle shaft diameter is almost too big for the axle tube.

Reactions: Chris
Nicely done writeup Chris. One suggestion, not even Dana 44 axle shafts can be said to be "completely up to the task of running 35's". When the axle is locked on a tough trail, 35" tires can exert enough force on the OE Dana 44 shafts to twist them at the splines where they can break.

That's what happened to my previous TJ's rear Dana 44 driver's side OE shaft which is when I upgraded them to alloy shafts. Mine didn't actually break where its splines twisted but the steel at the splines had actually begun to shear all the way around. Luckily that shaft's seal started leaking which is what prompted me to pull the shaft out when the twisted splines were discovered. I have no doubt that shaft would have completely sheared there the next time offroad.

Hey Jerry, 04 rubicon with auto tranny. Currently have stock axles, 35's and 5.13 gears. I'm looking to keep building up for better assurance while running the 35's. Future plans are the currie currectlync, and chromoly shafts from revolution gear and axle, front and rear 30 spline. and evently a vanco brake kit. Do you have any other suggestions on things to upgrade or should I be good after than to be confident wheeling the 35's. Currently have had no issues. I guess the last thing I can think of would be to upgrade the factory lockers, but thata would only be after the malfunction or break. Thanks

Hey Jerry, 04 rubicon with auto tranny. Currently have stock axles, 35's and 5.13 gears. I'm looking to keep building up for better assurance while running the 35's. Future plans are the currie currectlync, and chromoly shafts from revolution gear and axle, front and rear 30 spline. and evently a vanco brake kit. Do you have any other suggestions on things to upgrade or should I be good after than to be confident wheeling the 35's. Currently have had no issues. I guess the last thing I can think of would be to upgrade the factory lockers, but thata would only be after the malfunction or break. Thanks

You should be just fine on that setup with 35” tires. A large part of it is going to be how you drive. Even a built Dana 60 could be busted on the trail if you had an idiot behind the wheel who had no throttle control. So as long as you’re a decent driver and don’t think that more throttle is the only way out, then you should be just fine.

Plan looks good. Factory lockers should be good to go too. No worries there

Reactions: Tjaggie
Honestly, I am on pavement 95% of the time and mild trails/service roads in the Carolinas the other 5%. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I just love the look of 35s and with only a 2" OME BB and adding proper gearing and Metalcloak fenders I think I could manage 35s. Have 32s now.
I have no interest in rock-crawling or mudding, but respect and enjoy reading about those who do.
I suspect there are far more Jeep folks like me than not.
Any helpful advice?

Reactions: Starrs