So you want to run 35" tires on your TJ?

What about the 5% offroad? That's more than enough to break a Dana 35 axle shaft with 35's. Few TJs spend even 5% offroad.

This is what happened to a friend trying to take it easy with her 35's wheeling on a Dana 35 with me 2 weeks ago. We had to strap a
Hi-Lift support across the tire to the frame hold it in to get her back to camp.

Good point! I was just assuming he meant really light off-roading, like possibly just forest service trails and such. But yes, you’re right!

The good news on that one Chris is a used replacement axle shaft was delivered by a friend that night and we got it installed in camp the next morning. She was freaking out at first since it's her only vehicle. :)

Reactions: JMT
The good news on that one Chris is a used replacement axle shaft was delivered by a friend that night and we got it installed in camp the next morning. She was freaking out at first since it's her only vehicle. :)

Oh yeah, that's pretty scary to have that happen to your only vehicle. Thank goodness the Jeep isn't our only vehicle!

If this happened on a grassy/rough trail or well established unpaved back road through a park/woods (no true hazards) I may need to reconsider what I need to upgrade.

Reactions: Chris
If this happened on a grassy/rough trail or well established unpaved back road through a park/woods (no true hazards) I may need to reconsider what I need to upgrade.
Hey, you never know what can happen on a grassy knoll.

Reactions: RangerRick
"Back and to the left........ Back and to the left...."

--For those of you who know your grassy knoll JFK trivia.

Reactions: JMT and Starrs
On a serious note,
I've seen a Dana 35 axle shaft break at the splines with 31" tires just pulling out of a gas station parking lot over a curb slow speed under 3 MPH on pavement! That was hardly a "difficult obstacle".......

On a serious note,
I've seen a Dana 35 axle shaft break at the splines with 31" tires just pulling out of a gas station parking lot over a curb slow speed under 3 MPH on pavement! That was hardly a "difficult obstacle".......
Agreed, and hardly a predictable occurrence on 31s

Well that Jeep that broke a Dana 35 shaft leaving the gas station has had a Currie 9" under it for almost 13 years now. I installed both F & R axles for him when he went from Dana 30/Dana 35 (both well built BTW), up to 35's. 35's are kinda needed for the large housing of a 9" axle for clearance. His other Jeep has 33's and the old built Dana 30 but the rear axle was replaced with a Ford Sterling 8.8 that has disc brakes and a Detroit in it. He and on a lesser extent, his wife still wheel both Jeeps frequently.

Good point! I was just assuming he meant really light off-roading, like possibly just forest service trails and such. But yes, you’re right!
Hey I’m new here and I’m not sure if this has been asked exactly. I’ve got a 4 inch lift and 32s and am wanting to get 35s. I’m pretty sure I’m running a 3.75 or something similar.(The tag on my Jeep has been ripped off) My Tj is my daily driver and I’m still in Highschool so I don’t have a lot of money. Should I save up and regear or would I be fine with my stock gears. Also, I do moderate off-roading ie. creek crossings, mudding, and the occasional rock crawl down here in Arkansas.

Hey I’m new here and I’m not sure if this has been asked exactly. I’ve got a 4 inch lift and 32s and am wanting to get 35s. I’m pretty sure I’m running a 3.75 or something similar.(The tag on my Jeep has been ripped off) My Tj is my daily driver and I’m still in Highschool so I don’t have a lot of money. Should I save up and regear or would I be fine with my stock gears. Also, I do moderate off-roading ie. creek crossings, mudding, and the occasional rock crawl down here in Arkansas.

You'll be fine with the gears for a while. It won't be great and you'll want to re-gear when you get the money, but if you don't have the money, you can live with it until you do get the money. It's just going to rob you of a lot of power in the meantime.

The main concern if you do any off-roading will be strengthening your axles. Assuming you have a Dana 30 front axle and a Dana 35 rear axle (the most common axles on TJs), you'll be fine with just adding chromoly axle shafts in the front (I recommend Revolution shafts), but the rear axle will be the weak point assuming it's a Dana 35. With 35s on a Dana 35 you'll want to install Super 35 conversion from either Alloy or Revolution (I recommend Revolution). You can read more about that in this thread:

Should I upgrade my Dana 35 axle?

Reactions: Zac Oswalt
Maybe a silly question but does this cost include both left and right rear axle shaft?

https://revolutiongear.com/shop/dc-...es/discovery-series-Dana 44-tj-lj-disk-brake/

What's the difference between these two, ones US made?
https://revolutiongear.com/shop/rak...eep-tj-lj-rubicon-non-wdisc-brakes-30-spline/

Last edited:
Maybe a silly question but does this cost include both left and right rear axle shaft?

https://revolutiongear.com/shop/dc-...es/discovery-series-Dana 44-tj-lj-disk-brake/

What's the difference between these two, ones US made?
https://revolutiongear.com/shop/rak...eep-tj-lj-rubicon-non-wdisc-brakes-30-spline/

First one says this:
Revolution Gear & Axle Dana 44, 4140 Chrome-Moly 30 Spline Rear Axle Kit for Disk TJ & LJ.

2nd one says this:
Revolution Gear & Axle Dana 44, 4340 Chrome-Moly US Made 30 Spline Rear Axle Kit for 87-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ /LJ Rucibon & Non Rubicon With Disc Brakes ,

There's your answer, The more expensive kit comes with 4340 Chromolly axle shafts vs. 4140 Chromolly shafts. The difference in strength is about 20% give or take on the upside for the 4340 formula shafts.

Again, this proves you get what you pay for so if you want the best they have, then get the more expensive kit with the 4340 shafts in it. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the 4140 shafts are probably India import blanks that are then finished here in the states. The 4340 shafts probably come from Foote Axle & Forge here in Los Angeles CA and are about the best you can get anywhere. Hence the big difference in price. I will also bet that the heat treating on the USA made shafts is better and the basic material is of overall a much higher quality.

I have run shafts from the Foote Forge & Foundry under the Superior brand when they existed and never broke one in my front Dana 44 Rubicon housing even with 37" tires so there is something to be said on the quality of the 4340 Chromolly USA made parts.

Here is the company that makes what I consider to be the best axle shafts money can buy next to some special gun drilled NASCAR or FORMULA race car stuff made of 300M or other exotic blends that are unobtainium to the rest of us:

http://www.footeaxle.com/

RR

Last edited:
Another note to see what quality parts you may have:

If you are looking at a used Chromolly shaft and want to know who made it look for a small Diamond mark with a capital "F" in it. Should you find this mark on the wheel flange edge of your shaft, you have a genuine Foote Forge & Foundry axle shaft and I would consider it a keeper. There are other shaft makers out there that were good too but one of the reasons Foote is known for is their technique of "Rolling the splines" instead of cutting or hobbed splines which requires a very large expensive machine that actually roll presses the splines into the shaft affecting the grain and stress risers differently than cut splines do. This process makes the strongest possible splines you can get on an axle shaft of any brand or manufacturer and is costly due to the dies and machines used in this process. Usually genuine Dana Spicer and Foote were the only two to "Roll their own"......

RR

Reactions: Chris
Another note to see what quality parts you may have:

If you are looking at a used Chromolly shaft and want to know who made it look for a small Diamond mark with a capital "F" in it. Should you find this mark on the wheel flange edge of your shaft, you have a genuine Foote Forge & Foundry axle shaft and I would consider it a keeper. There are other shaft makers out there that were good too but one of the reasons Foote is known for is their technique of "Rolling the splines" instead of cutting or hobbed splines which requires a very large expensive machine but makes the strongest possible splines you can get on an axle shaft of any brand or manufacturer. Usually genuine Dana Spicer and Foote were the only two to "Roll their own"......

RR

Useful information, I didn't even know that! I wonder how Revolution does their USA made axle shafts.

Reactions: RangerRick
Tha k
First one says this:
Revolution Gear & Axle Dana 44, 4140 Chrome-Moly 30 Spline Rear Axle Kit for Disk TJ & LJ.

2nd one says this:
Revolution Gear & Axle Dana 44, 4340 Chrome-Moly US Made 30 Spline Rear Axle Kit for 87-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ /LJ Rucibon & Non Rubicon With Disc Brakes ,

There's your answer, The more expensive kit comes with 4340 Chromolly axle shafts vs. 4140 Chromolly shafts. The difference in strength is about 20% give or take on the upside.
Thank you! Seems like it's worth it to go with the USA made ones.