• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

So you want to run 35" tires on your TJ?

Leakey

I just got a 4.0 with automatic it has 4in lift with 35s but 3.05 gears it really hates the 35s and previous owner also welded the rear gears but he gave me 2 8.8 rears one with 4.11 gears drum brakes and one with 3.55 disc breaks to make a disc break 4.11 and kit to put the 8.8 in my thing is if i have to buy gears for the front are 4.11 really enough i was thinking 4.56 gears and just build the 30 and 35 it will be on highway and dirt roads hit some mud holes in it and hunt out of it no rock climbing but some slick ass red clay gumbo and post oak mud
So if i remember correctly with your automatic transmission (32RH by the way) 4.56 should be the correct gearing. If i was in your position I would do a gear swap on the disc brake equipped 8.8 and swap that in. I wouldnt bother building up the Dana 35 since you already have the 8.8. Sell the other two extra 8.8's off to help recoup some of your cash when its all said and done! Hope this help's.

Reactions: Cgcrock

Cgcrock

I just got a 4.0 with automatic (what year or transmission?) it has 4in lift with 35s. It has 3.05 gears and it really hates the 35s.

Previous owner didnt do any real research and welded the rear gears.
He gave me 2 Ford 8.8 rears, one with 4.11 gears and drum brakes, and one with 3.55 gearing and disc brakes. Disc kit is with 3.55 gearing for the 8.8.

If i have to buy 4.11 gears for the front to match possible 4.11 gesring in the 8.8 axle, i was thinking 4.56 gears instead front - rear, and just build the 30 and 35.

It will be on highway and dirt roads, hit some mud holes, and hunt. I will not be rock climbing, occasionally some slick ass red clay and post oak mud.

Instead of making a smart ass comment, I decided to see if anyone can help answer your question. Welcome to the board.
Thank you

Cgcrock

So if i remember correctly with your automatic transmission (32RH by the way) 4.56 should be the correct gearing. If i was in your position I would do a gear swap on the disc brake equipped 8.8 and swap that in. I wouldnt bother building up the Dana 35 since you already have the 8.8. Sell the other two extra 8.8's off to help recoup some of your cash when its all said and done! Hope this help's.
Thank you

BlueTJBoy

@Chris
Hi mate I've got a couple questions about 35s.
I can't legally drive them on road where I'm from, so I'll be running 31's daily and lugging my 35s with me to the off road parks and things. Also, can't exceed 4 inches of lift.
Considering I will only be using my 35s off-road, would you recommend i still re-gear, upgrade steering and brakes? I go off-road about once a month and love doing hard tracks and this will be the only time I have the 35s on my Jeep. Cheers mate

OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
@Chris
Hi mate I've got a couple questions about 35s.
I can't legally drive them on road where I'm from, so I'll be running 31's daily and lugging my 35s with me to the off road parks and things. Also, can't exceed 4 inches of lift.
Considering I will only be using my 35s off-road, would you recommend i still re-gear, upgrade steering and brakes? I go off-road about once a month and love doing hard tracks and this will be the only time I have the 35s on my Jeep. Cheers mate
The re-gear won't be as big of a deal since you'll only be using them temporarily off-road. However, upgrading the brakes is something I wouldn't skip on, even off-road. You'll find you really need the bigger brakes to stop, especially when going down hills in 4LO. The stock steering can get by on 35s as well, so you don't need to change it out, unless you start breaking things.

Vette403

Chris,

I am new to this group and fairly new to Jeep ownership. I've had my 2002 Wrangler X for a little over a year, when I bought it I looked at the frame and although it had some rust and scaling on the inside it sounded solid. Fast forward a year later and now the frame has two large holes in it where these all rust. Do you think it is worth getting a new frame or just fixing the current frame? Changing the frame is certainly a lot more work which I will do so it doesn't bother me but fixing the frame is much faster, less work but about the same price as the new frame.

I was planning to sell the Jeep but don't feel comfortable with doing so with the frame in it's current condition. I was looking for a project car to build and was looking at hot rods but now I'm thinking of rebuilding the Jeep from the ground up. I found a good frame with no rot and was thinking I would put a bigger lift on it and move from 31" tires to 35"s so your post is very helpful. Your detail confirmed that I can use the stock axle housings and just upgrade the axles, I already upgraded the steering to HD linkage and I have an adjustable track bar. I will definitely move to a SYE for sure, I do prefer to do things right the first time. I did not upgrade to a larger brake system but I did replace the rotors with drilled rotors, replaced the calipers, wheel cylinders, drums and brake pads/shoes all around as well as all new brake lines. Although I don't plan to off road with it frequently I do want the option on occasion.

I was told the Jeep had a 4" lift on it when I bought it but I'm not sure what the stock height of the Wrangler X actually is from the factory, I found some information that lead me to believe that the X is higher than other models from the factory. Since I would like to go higher to fit the 35"s I am not sure what size lift to go with. I was thinking of a small body lift and a 6" suspension lift but wonder if that would be too high. I was also thinking of going with 65" wide axle housings to widen the footprint for more stability but I'm not sure if that is needed. With the 31's on the jeep it barely keeps up the speed on the highways by me with small gradual hills. I am not sure how to determine the correct gear size to use with the 35's, I noticed someone mentioned running 4.88's with a 5 speed and 35's for both highway and off road. Also wondering if I should invest in a locker as well.

Currently in the planning stage trying to educate myself. I will search for some other threads too but any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Chris,

I am new to this group and fairly new to Jeep ownership. I've had my 2002 Wrangler X for a little over a year, when I bought it I looked at the frame and although it had some rust and scaling on the inside it sounded solid. Fast forward a year later and now the frame has two large holes in it where these all rust. Do you think it is worth getting a new frame or just fixing the current frame? Changing the frame is certainly a lot more work which I will do so it doesn't bother me but fixing the frame is much faster, less work but about the same price as the new frame.

I was planning to sell the Jeep but don't feel comfortable with doing so with the frame in it's current condition. I was looking for a project car to build and was looking at hot rods but now I'm thinking of rebuilding the Jeep from the ground up. I found a good frame with no rot and was thinking I would put a bigger lift on it and move from 31" tires to 35"s so your post is very helpful. Your detail confirmed that I can use the stock axle housings and just upgrade the axles, I already upgraded the steering to HD linkage and I have an adjustable track bar. I will definitely move to a SYE for sure, I do prefer to do things right the first time. I did not upgrade to a larger brake system but I did replace the rotors with drilled rotors, replaced the calipers, wheel cylinders, drums and brake pads/shoes all around as well as all new brake lines. Although I don't plan to off road with it frequently I do want the option on occasion.

I was told the Jeep had a 4" lift on it when I bought it but I'm not sure what the stock height of the Wrangler X actually is from the factory, I found some information that lead me to believe that the X is higher than other models from the factory. Since I would like to go higher to fit the 35"s I am not sure what size lift to go with. I was thinking of a small body lift and a 6" suspension lift but wonder if that would be too high. I was also thinking of going with 65" wide axle housings to widen the footprint for more stability but I'm not sure if that is needed. With the 31's on the jeep it barely keeps up the speed on the highways by me with small gradual hills. I am not sure how to determine the correct gear size to use with the 35's, I noticed someone mentioned running 4.88's with a 5 speed and 35's for both highway and off road. Also wondering if I should invest in a locker as well.

Currently in the planning stage trying to educate myself. I will search for some other threads too but any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
I would have to see photos of the frame to determine its overall condition. Often times you can cut a section out of the frame and replace it with a new section. However, in order to do that, you need good, rust free metal to weld the new section onto. If the frame is entirely rotted inside (which it very well may be), then buying a rust free frame and swapping it in would be the better option.

The drilled rotors don't do anything on a TJ, period. That's a common myth / misconception, but they don't provide any stopping power whatsoever. For running 35s you really want a Vanco big brake kit. Running 35s on stock brakes is dangerous, both on-road and off-road. You won't know it until you really need to use the brakes, then you'll understand what I mean.

6" suspension lift is too much. To run 35s you want 4" of suspension lift and 1.25" of body lift. That is the ideal recipe. Anymore than that and it's unnecessary. Switching to wider axle housings is also unnecessary unless you're going to be running 37s, coilovers, stretching the wheelbase, and have A LOT of money (no joke).

For determining what gears you should run, see this thread:

What gear ratio should I install in my Jeep Wrangler TJ / LJ? (and other re-gearing FAQs)

Lockers would be a wise investment at the same time as the re-gear / upgraded axle shaft install.

BlueTJBoy

The re-gear won't be as big of a deal since you'll only be using them temporarily off-road. However, upgrading the brakes is something I wouldn't skip on, even off-road. You'll find you really need the bigger brakes to stop, especially when going down hills in 4LO. The stock steering can get by on 35s as well, so you don't need to change it out, unless you start breaking things.
thanks for getting back to me mate. Will black magic brake pads suffice in this instance?

Reactions: Chris