So you want to run 35" tires on your TJ?

šŸ˜³

If you put $3k into those axles before all the other expenses youā€™ve spent too much money. Some people just have to have Dana 44 front and rear, but itā€™s not worth it if youā€™re going to regear. The Dana 30 is just as strong and shares many parts with the front Dana 44. They can both run a 35ā€ tire. Only real difference is the Dana 44 can be geared to 538 while the Dana 30 only to 513, the Dana 44 hangs down lower so it causes loss of clearance, and the stock Rubi lockers are weaker than an ARB or ELocker.

For the rear you can just do a Super35 and be totally set for 35ā€ tires. If I was in your shoes Iā€™d sell the Dana 44ā€™s and build the Dana 30 and Dana 35 the way they should be.

Also, why dump an extra $1k into compressor and installation for an ARB if you can just get an ELocker? Sure sounds extremely expensive way to run locked 35ā€™s.
You are right! My other option is to just do the axle swap and keep the 4.10 gear. I think it would still work for my initial needs but consider doing the re-gearing at a later time.

You are right! My other option is to just do the axle swap and keep the 4.10 gear. I think it would still work for my initial needs but consider doing the re-gearing at a later time.
You could always just do the swap and see how the gears are. Like I said before, I run 456's with the same setup and feel undergeared. I have to downshift on long hills. At any rate, you could do the SYE/ DC, axle swap, control arms. It's all doable. I was never into cars and working on them and I've learned how to do all these things over the past four years. None of it was too difficult.

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and still somewhat new to TJ ownership. I have a 2002 TJ Sport, 4.0L, Dana 30/Dana 44, 15in rims on 31's, all stock except for LED Headlights. My goal is to be able to run 35's. I've read through this thread and a few others and im looking to start purchasing parts and starting upgrades. My Jeep is my daily driver but I also like to take it offroading and camping and all of that. I don't do any super crazy rock crawling or insanely hard trails, but I have done Diablo's Drop off out here in SoCal once. I have about 10K saved up for upgrades. I'll be moving to Virginia at the end of the year so my terrain will shift a bit but i imagine that won't affect the upgrades too much.

All of this being said, I have a question:

1) What should be the order of things to upgrade? I want to avoid breaking things and also minimize cost (i.e. figuring out stuff i can do at the same time, rather than doing stuff like opening my diffs multiple times and having to buy seals and fluid all of that over and over.)

I've seen people somewhat answer this question but when I look into buying parts for an upgrade I keep running into situations where I can't do an upgrade without doing another upgrade 1st and then that upgrade requires another upgrade and then all of the parts are sold by different vendors and some of them aren't compatible, etc., etc., etc.

I figure the short answer is to just figure it out/ welcome to owning and upgrading a 20 year old vehicle, but I just thought I'd ask.

Thank you all for all of the time and effort y'all have put into this thread already! I look forward to anyone's input.

IMG_2847.jpg

IMG_2769.JPG

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and still somewhat new to TJ ownership. I have a 2002 TJ Sport, 4.0L, Dana 30/Dana 44, 15in rims on 31's, all stock except for LED Headlights. My goal is to be able to run 35's. I've read through this thread and a few others and im looking to start purchasing parts and starting upgrades. My Jeep is my daily driver but I also like to take it offroading and camping and all of that. I don't do any super crazy rock crawling or insanely hard trails, but I have done Diablo's Drop off out here in SoCal once. I have about 10K saved up for upgrades. I'll be moving to Virginia at the end of the year so my terrain will shift a bit but i imagine that won't affect the upgrades too much.

1) What should be the order of things to upgrade? I want to avoid breaking things and also minimize cost (i.e. figuring out stuff i can do at the same time, rather than doing stuff like opening my diffs multiple times and having to buy seals and fluid all of that over and over.)

I've seen people somewhat answer this question but when I look into buying parts for an upgrade I keep running into situations where I can't do an upgrade without doing another upgrade 1st and then that upgrade requires another upgrade and then all of the parts are sold by different vendors and some of them aren't compatible, etc., etc., etc.

I figure the short answer is to just figure it out/ welcome to owning and upgrading a 20 year old vehicle, but I just thought I'd ask.

Thank you all for all of the time and effort y'all have put into this thread already! I look forward to anyone's input.

View attachment 316949

View attachment 316950
Itā€™s pretty straightforward. Welcome to TJ ownership.

There are a number of ways it can be done. You have $10k, so just do it all together and go straight to 35ā€™s. Thatā€™s The cheapest way. Question answered unless youā€™re planning a slow build

Last edited:
Reactions: Serbonze
Itā€™s pretty straightforward. Welcome to TJ ownership.

There are a number of ways it can be done. You have $10k, so just do it all together and go straight to 35ā€™s. Thatā€™s The cheapest way. Question answered unless youā€™re planning a slow build
Fair enough, thanks for the input

Hello all,

View attachment 316949

View attachment 316950
Lift it, lock it, gear it. Wheels, tires, bumpers, rockers, winch. Thereā€™s your 10k.

Lift it, lock it, gear it. Wheels, tires, bumpers, rockers, winch. Thereā€™s your 10k.
Any parts of it you'd recommend not doing it yourself? I know a little bit and i can learn quickly, but i wouldn't say im like super technical or anything. I'm thinking the gears and lockers i probably should leave up to a professional, but other than that, most of it isnt too bad, right?

Reactions: JMT
Any parts of it you'd recommend not doing it yourself? I know a little bit and i can learn quickly, but i wouldn't say im like super technical or anything. I'm thinking the gears and lockers i probably should leave up to a professional, but other than that, most of it isnt too bad, right?
Yeah i wouldnā€™t try to tackle the gears and lockers yourself, thatā€™s my personal opinion. Several people here will tell to its not hard, but itā€™s tedious and thereā€™s definitely a learning curve. Not to mention how many times do you expect to do that skill.

You may wanna think about chromoly axle shafts when you do gears. Post a pic of your rear axle. If itā€™s round(dana35) you may want to do the ā€œsuper 35 kitā€

Get a quality lift with adjustable control arms, do the body lift, slip yoke eliminator and tummy tuck as well. Iā€™d prob upgrade steering while youā€™re at it. Go play on Currie/rock jockā€™s website and build up a cart full of stuff. Iā€™d prob lean towards undercover fab for the tummy tuck/skid plate. Tom woods for the driveshaft. Donā€™t have a sye recommendation.

Iā€™d recommend motobilt or genright for bumpers, warn winch. I lot of people here will tell you savvy everything. Savvy doesnā€™t really stock many parts and has long lead times typically. Genright has better rocker guards than motobilt imo.

Where in Cali are you? Iā€™m sure someone here may be able to recommend a shop to do some of the work. If you have a small amount of tools and some jacks and jackstands, you can do a lot of it yourself.

Wheels and tires: go with 17ā€ wheels. Decide now if you think you may want beadlocks. Raceline, method, dirty life, Kmc all make great wheels. Iā€™d recommend nitto, maxxis or Mickey Thompson tires. BUY FIVE!!!

That should about cover it.

Yeah i wouldnā€™t try to tackle the gears and lockers yourself, thatā€™s my personal opinion. Several people here will tell to its not hard, but itā€™s tedious and thereā€™s definitely a learning curve. Not to mention how many times do you expect to do that skill.

You may wanna think about chromoly axle shafts when you do gears. Post a pic of your rear axle. If itā€™s round(dana35) you may want to do the ā€œsuper 35 kitā€

Get a quality lift with adjustable control arms, do the body lift, slip yoke eliminator and tummy tuck as well. Iā€™d prob upgrade steering while youā€™re at it. Go play on Currie/rock jockā€™s website and build up a cart full of stuff. Iā€™d prob lean towards undercover fab for the tummy tuck/skid plate. Tom woods for the driveshaft. Donā€™t have a sye recommendation.

Iā€™d recommend motobilt or genright for bumpers, warn winch. I lot of people here will tell you savvy everything. Savvy doesnā€™t really stock many parts and has long lead times typically. Genright has better rocker guards than motobilt imo.

Where in Cali are you? Iā€™m sure someone here may be able to recommend a shop to do some of the work. If you have a small amount of tools and some jacks and jackstands, you can do a lot of it yourself.

Wheels and tires: go with 17ā€ wheels. Decide now if you think you may want beadlocks. Raceline, method, dirty life, Kmc all make great wheels. Iā€™d recommend nitto, maxxis or Mickey Thompson tires. BUY FIVE!!!

That should about cover it.
I have a Dana 30 in the front and Dana 44 in the rear

I'm in San Diego. Definitely would love shop recommendations! I've worked in a mechanic shop before (Dealership. I was just the dude who moved cars.) so I know some of the BS that some mechanics will do to peoples cars and I've heard some rumors about a few shops around San Diego letting new people "learn" on customer's cars. I'm all for learning but not tryna have my damn differential get shredded because some kid forgot to put fluid back in it or something.

Why 17"? I was thinking 15 for the rims and from what I've read it doesnt seem like that'd be a problem. But if there's enough of a benefit to bigger rims, im all for it. Just don't care for the look of vehicles with too much rim and not enough tire.

And as far as brakes, that'll probably be the first thing i do before anything because it's super easy and my stock brakes have definitely seen better days out here driving down the super steep hills around san diego

Thank you for all the input btw!

I have a Dana 30 in the front and Dana 44 in the rear

I'm in San Diego. Definitely would love shop recommendations! I've worked in a mechanic shop before (Dealership. I was just the dude who moved cars.) so I know some of the BS that some mechanics will do to peoples cars and I've heard some rumors about a few shops around San Diego letting new people "learn" on customer's cars. I'm all for learning but not tryna have my damn differential get shredded because some kid forgot to put fluid back in it or something.

Why 17"? I was thinking 15 for the rims and from what I've read it doesnt seem like that'd be a problem. But if there's enough of a benefit to bigger rims, im all for it. Just don't care for the look of vehicles with too much rim and not enough tire.

And as far as brakes, that'll probably be the first thing i do before anything because it's super easy and my stock brakes have definitely seen better days out here driving down the super steep hills around san diego

Thank you for all the input btw!
15s are slowly getting phased out and you are much more limited on your tire selection and itā€™s only going to get more limited. With that said I went 15s because I wanted a little more sidewall flex with beadlocks.

You should fine with the Dana 44, you may want to think about chromolys for the front though, otherwise itā€™ll be not if they break, itā€™s when they break. Ask me how I know.

Black magic brakes is his website. Heā€™s also a forum regular here.

I would look for a shop that focuses on Jeeps, not just any mechanic shop. Search around, get a couple quotes, shake a few hands, get a feel for whatā€™s around you.

Hello all,

View attachment 316949

View attachment 316950
Welcome, some good suggestions from @TRE3TOP to add to it. Pick a lift height and tire size and stick to that build this will save you money in the long run. Consider weight when adding item to you Jeep. (It makes a difference in the performance).I second the suggestion on getting someone to do your gears. Make a plan to get where you want to go. With the current supply chain issues you might be waiting for parts for a while. I have been waiting 2 months for cromoly axles for the front axle for 3 months now. I would also look into joining a club to go on some runs and be able to see other Jeepā€™s in action. You have ā€œterra del solā€ off-road club down by you they are one of the largest clubs around.

Hello all,

View attachment 316949

View attachment 316950

Yeah, you can do most of it. I had never worked on cars and Iā€™ve done everything except my gears and the rear e-locker. If youā€™re planning a lunchbox locker up front you can do that.

...I have about 10K saved up for upgrades...
I would suggest creating a quick list of all the things you need / want to do to the Jeep and put a rough cost next to each one. There are plenty of things you don't need to do to get to 35" tires, but you may want to do them e.g. protecting your rockers.

This is intended as no criticism of the collective wisdom here, I get lots of superb advice from those more experienced than me (i.e. almost everyone), but you are likely to be pointed in the direction of the absolute best product for every mod you plan on doing. Just be aware, the same list of modifications and associated parts can have very different costs depending on which specific parts you choose.

Reactions: RINC
Minimal you need and moderate prices.

35ā€™s
4ā€ Springs ($350)
4ā€ Shocks ($250)
1ā€ Body Lift ($175)
1ā€ Motor Mount Lift ($50)
Adjustable front TB ($225)
Adjustable rear TB ($200)
Extended front brake lines ($30)
Extended rear sway bar links ($40)
Front sway bar disconnects ($80)
Bumpstops front and rear ($20)
Transfer Case shifter cable ($170)
Adjustable control arms ($1000)
SYE ($350)
DC ($350)
BMB Pads ($300)
35x 12.5r15 ($900)
15x8ā€ wheels ($450)
Dana 30 4340 shafts ($550)
Dana 44 4340 shafts ($500)
Regear and lockers
Rock Sliders
AntRock or SwayLOC

Have fun!

Minimal you need and moderate prices.

35ā€™s
4ā€ Springs ($350)
4ā€ Shocks ($250)
1ā€ Body Lift ($175)
1ā€ Motor Mount Lift ($50)
Adjustable front TB ($225)
Adjustable rear TB ($200)
Extended front brake lines ($30)
Extended rear sway bar links ($40)
Front sway bar disconnects ($80)
Bumpstops front and rear ($20)
Transfer Case shifter cable ($170)
Adjustable control arms ($1000)
SYE ($350)
DC ($350)
BMB Pads ($300)
35x 12.5r15 ($900)
15x8ā€ wheels ($450)
Dana 30 4340 shafts ($550)
Dana 44 4340 shafts ($500)
Regear and lockers
Rock Sliders
AntRock or SwayLOC

Have fun!
Now that's going the extra mile. What a guy. (y)

Reactions: JMT
I would suggest creating a quick list of all the things you need / want to do to the Jeep and put a rough cost next to each one. There are plenty of things you don't need to do to get to 35" tires, but you may want to do them e.g. protecting your rockers.

This is intended as no criticism of the collective wisdom here, I get lots of superb advice from those more experienced than me (i.e. almost everyone), but you are likely to be pointed in the direction of the absolute best product for every mod you plan on doing. Just be aware, the same list of modifications and associated parts can have very different costs depending on which specific parts you choose.
The superb advice from those with more experience than you is typically trying to arrive at something that behaves decently on pavement where most off-road vehicles spend their time. That costs some money. A lot of corners can be cut on a trailer queen that doesn't get pushed very hard on rough fire roads.

Thank you all for all of the input! I know y'all definitely are going the extra mile to help a newbie and I really appreciate it!