Sold the TJ and picked up a new JLU

Never when paying cash.

Id argue that, any day. Even with the current economy my investment account is returning at 36% this year. My auto loans, including the LJ which is a small note, is 2.5%. Thats a deal Ill take any day of the week.

Its foolish to buy new ANYTHING until the old one is good and worn out - and I expect things to LAST. Which is why I probably will never again buy a new car - too expensive, too unreliable, and far too much planned obsolescence. Hopefully, I won't even have to buy another *used* car, but if I do, it certainly won't be anything newer than 2017, and probably not newer than 2012 or so and carefully selected models at that. I actually do have some sox that are probably 10 years old - but I don't wear sox every day anymore here in Fl.

The TelCos have everyone conditioned to "upgrade" their silly overpriced gadgets every two years - and the CarCos want in on that action. Hell, a washing machine used to last 20 years or more, now they've junked those out too. Next one will be a Speed Queen - still made the right way...

I was just being an ass on the sox. I agree on the a slightly used vehicle, for depreciation purposes, but we will agree to disagree on buying new cars before one wears out. Thats personal preference. I would argue that personal opinion doesn't mean Im foolish for buying a 2015 911, or 2019 Q5 for my wife and daughter to be in. I prefer something modern, safe and generally speaking more reliable than an aged vehicle. Again, my main word there is prefer.

my investment account is returning at 36% this year
Until you put it in your pocket, your return is only on paper. Net worth is current assets minus debt. Speculation has no bearing on net worth. When getting ready to purchase a JL last January, I was urged by dealership to borrow at 0% for three years, then 3% thereafter. So, 2.5% seems rather uncompetitive to me. I simply pay cash for all consumer items, even real estate. Dealerships today do not want cash buyers. Strange doesn't it seem? I'm not bad off. No regrets....lots of peace of mind. Moot point anyway since I couldn't get exactly what I wanted cash or not.:)Imagine an old guy with a little money preferring to drive a beater.

Last edited:
HardSell - Your picture that you posted on page 70 shows something that I have never understood about Jeeps that are suposed to be quality. Notice that the front door side panel is not even flat. All the JK's and JL's that I see are poorly made like that on both sides. For anywhere near that kind of money I would require the body panels be correct. When I say cheep Jeep I am not talking about price.
Who ever said Jeeps were supposed to be about quality? They used to be about economical durability and simplicity; able to be field assembled with basic tools then go to war. The '87 XJ I ordered also had little factory dents just below the pin striping on all four doors. You'll see that on a lot of XJs. Just occurred to me that's probably why the JLs come with a big dent just in front of each door....won't notice the others. On the other hand, my TJ is perfectly straight. Living in New Mexico, we pay little attention to minor flaws on production stuff. The low riders, however, are a different matter altogether. If Jeeps are morphing into something intended to be perceived as quality, luxury and state of art, why then does production persist in making something that looks like a 1940s war box?

Last edited:
I was just being an ass on the sox. I agree on the a slightly used vehicle, for depreciation purposes, but we will agree to disagree on buying new cars before one wears out. That's personal preference. I would argue that personal opinion doesn't mean I'm foolish for buying a 2015 911, or 2019 Q5 for my wife and daughter to be in. I prefer something modern, safe and generally speaking more reliable than an aged vehicle. Again, my main word there is prefer.
I understand. Everybody's preferences/priorities are different. I DD a 35 - soon to be 36 year old car. I consider it to be far more reliable long term than anything made in the last 10-15 years or so, and many considerably older. A brand new car is generally going to have better short term reliability, but with the unreliable electronics in new(er) cars, that goes down sharply as time goes on. The bulk of the problems I've had with my old car is indeed the "technology" of the day - I really wish it didn't have "even that".

But if you're going to keep buying new cars, yea - you probably will never see problems. You'll also pay for that privilege! I'm way too cheap to want to ever buy anything I just don't have to.

That's a good looking Jeep I hope it does exactly what you want it to do.

On the other hand, this forced me to have to clean some soda off my monitor and out of my keyboard. I think it was caused by current technology.

2020-09-11.png

Until you put it in your pocket, your return is only on paper. Net worth is current assets minus debt. Speculation has no bearing on net worth. When getting ready to purchase a JL last January, I was urged by dealership to borrow at 0% for three years, then 3% thereafter. So, 2.5% seems rather uncompetitive to me. I simply pay cash for all consumer items, even real estate. Dealerships today do not want cash buyers. Strange doesn't it seem? I'm not bad off. No regrets....lots of peace of mind. Moot point anyway since I couldn't get exactly what I wanted cash or not.:)Imagine an old guy with a little money preferring to drive a beater.

The new car rate is always lower than used cars. Regardless it’s semantics. I could pull every dollar out today and have netted 36%, can’t say that with cash car purchase. And investment accounts are definitely counted in assets. However, moot point. We are different people with different preferences. As long as I can get a better return elsewhere I’ll never pay cash. Even if you don’t count it as an asset, I can do more with that money in my pocket then tied into a vehicle which is a depreciating asset.

I understand. Everybody's preferences/priorities are different. I DD a 35 - soon to be 36 year old car. I consider it to be far more reliable long term than anything made in the last 10-15 years or so, and many considerably older. A brand new car is generally going to have better short term reliability, but with the unreliable electronics in new(er) cars, that goes down sharply as time goes on. The bulk of the problems I've had with my old car is indeed the "technology" of the day - I really wish it didn't have "even that".

But if you're going to keep buying new cars, yea - you probably will never see problems. You'll also pay for that privilege! I'm way too cheap to want to ever buy anything I just don't have to.

I also believe it depends on ones tax situation. I’m self employed so can get “away” with more than a W2 person on my vehicles. I don’t believe I’d be so freely minded to buy newer vehicles all the time if I wasn’t. Grateful to be in my financial place to enjoy such privileges. Years of hard work to get here, I’m going to enjoy it

Reactions: HardSell
I sold the TJ I didn't want to sell for the price I didn't want to sell it for to get the vehicle you guys don't want me to get.

Ok then.

I'm not the biggest fan of the JL, but I still think the JL and JT are some of the coolest vehicles you can buy new today. Obviously I prefer older vehicles because of nostalgia and simplicity, but almost nothing new excites me enough for the price tag they command. Everything looks the same these days, and has the same electrically assisted numb feeling ride. In a world full of cookie cutter CUVs the JL and JT are pretty sweet in comparison. I think your Jeep is cool and I like the color. Drive it in good health. :)

Here’s a good deal.
If the electronic excesses foisted by FCA begin to go south in the next few years, this price will become a steal. I love the ease of maintaining, upgrading and repairing my TJR; I thought the XJ was easy to work on. Recent local news has been covering a theft ring stealing upscale bicycles, one valued at 13 grand. Paid that for my used Rubicon. I loved bikes....when I was 11.

Man y'all a tough crowd! I love the JLUR and JT's. They're bigger, much more comfortable, more capable, more reliable and the list goes on. Not saying I like them more the my LJ but damn hahahaha.
Ever been stuck behind a JKU/JLU or a Gladiator on a tight trail? Pretty annoying watching them complete 5-point turns in areas the TJ easily maneuvers without difficulties. Don’t mind watching them smash hardtops on trees though.

Reactions: HardSell and 5632
Ever been stuck behind a JKU/JLU or a Gladiator on a tight trail? Pretty annoying watching them complete 5-point turns in areas the TJ easily maneuvers without difficulties. Don’t mind watching them smash hardtops on trees though.
But they are more capable, I heard it here

Reactions: Zorba

No, but I have been behind a TJ overheating, one rolled over as it popped out of gear in a really bad off-camber hill climb, and numerous other failures... That doesn't mean the TJ is not capable. All of these points aren't even arguments. Cause they're longer and take multipoint turns they're less capable? Thats a terrible rebuttal.

That'll be the last one I reply to. This is a TJ forum with enthusiasts that can't admit the newer models are more capable. Period. I wont change your minds and clearly, wont change mine.