Sold the TJ and picked up a new JLU

No, but I have been behind a TJ overheating, one rolled over as it popped out of gear in a really bad off-camber hill climb, and numerous other failures... That doesn't mean the TJ is not capable. All of these points aren't even arguments. Cause they're longer and take multipoint turns they're less capable? Thats a terrible rebuttal.

That'll be the last one I reply to. This is a TJ forum with enthusiasts that can't admit the newer models are more capable. Period. I wont change your minds and clearly, wont change mine.
Amen. One day most will agree. Tons of followers tho so most people won’t want to go against the grain.

No, but I have been behind a TJ overheating, one rolled over as it popped out of gear in a really bad off-camber hill climb, and numerous other failures... That doesn't mean the TJ is not capable. All of these points aren't even arguments. Cause they're longer and take multipoint turns they're less capable? Thats a terrible rebuttal.

That'll be the last one I reply to. This is a TJ forum with enthusiasts that can't admit the newer models are more capable. Period. I wont change your minds and clearly, wont change mine.

Last edited:
No vehicle can do everything well. Manufacturers are trying to do this and it's why we have a market full of identical CUVs with mediocre styling and zero personality. A true enthusiast acknowledges the advantages and disadvantages of every vehicle. I like my TJ because of it's simplicity, fun analog driving characteristics, and it's old school roots. If I had to drive across the country, there is no denying that something like a JL or JT would be more comfortable.

No vehicle can do everything well. Manufacturers are trying to do this and it's why we have a market full of identical CUVs with mediocre styling and zero personality. A true enthusiast acknowledges the advantages and disadvantages of every vehicle. I like my TJ because of it's simplicity, fun analog driving characteristics, and it's old school roots. If I had to drive across the country, there is no denying that something like a JL or JT would be more comfortable.
Now if people would realize the same thing about electronic/computational devices instead of insisting on using one device for everything that basically does nothing well. If I want to drive across the country, my first choice would be my Mercedes, not the Jeep. The former rides better and handles much better. On the other hand, driving on a trail, or even a dirt road I'd prefer the Jeep!

Reactions: jeepguy03
If I want to drive across the country, my first choice would be my Mercedes, not the Jeep.

I feel you there! I drove the TJ from Ft Lauderdale to Central Kansas in 2 days... that's enough to destroy your sanity! I would take my JT... it rides better and has more space to stretch out... Oh, and it's quiet...

Reactions: Tjrubicon
Now if people would realize the same thing about electronic/computational devices instead of insisting on using one device for everything that basically does nothing well. If I want to drive across the country, my first choice would be my Mercedes, not the Jeep. The former rides better and handles much better. On the other hand, driving on a trail, or even a dirt road I'd prefer the Jeep!

Friend of mine growing up in Australia had an old diesel Mercedes we pulled the back seats out of and gutted so he could carry hay bales and repair fences of his farm. That thing was great on dirt.

the shiny new Jeep that is more capable out of the box won’t get the credit.
It is capable; more capable? Wouldn't bet on it wheeling in a 6 foot wide slot. Now, there's no arguing the advantages a JLU gives a family of 4 for wheeling/camping..... far better than my '69 Mustang or '79 Subaru.

Reactions: Apparition
JL/JT is only 4 inches wider track than the TJ...
66.7 (w/o mirrors) to 73.9

1600372648872.jpeg

Reactions: downthepines
Artsifrtsi said:

My TJ, lifted with 33s and 4" offset had not the slightest difficulty going between these boulders from a recent rock fall. Not even close. Fortunately, the wide JLR could use his traction enhancement to get over the obstacle. Last time I had to point out obvious facts was arguing with a liberal (registered D.) that the bright reddish "star" rising in the east shortly after sunset was not Venus. He still insisted it was because it was the brightest object in the sky, and he knew for a fact that Venus was the brightest object in the night sky after the moon. He also added that he had a Masters degree and I did not.

JL.jpg

My "not for sale price" would pay off my mortgage.

Good looking JL, the green is nice, but I really love the "Sting Grey"
At least your started with us so you can move forward with tasteful mods and knowledge which will set you apart from the rest of the 4dr owners out there (y)

I'm not a "big" fan of the newer jeeps, but damn the JL's look so much better than the JK's

I’m not a JL fan, i think the JKs look better than the JLs. JLs are so wide/ bulky and so much flimsy plastic. I can’t stand the Euro turn signals..look so car/ SUV ish..

TJs look best of course. So much plastics/ electronics on new Jeeps. It kills the fun.

Reactions: HardSell
Artsifrtsi said:

My TJ, lifted with 33s and 4" offset had not the slightest difficulty going between these boulders from a recent rock fall. Not even close. Fortunately, the wide JLR could use his traction enhancement to get over the obstacle. Last time I had to point out obvious facts was arguing with a liberal (registered D.) that the bright reddish "star" rising in the east shortly after sunset was not Venus. He still insisted it was because it was the brightest object in the sky, and he knew for a fact that Venus was the brightest object in the night sky after the moon. He also added that he had a Masters degree and I did not.

So, I just can’t leave well enough alone... I just measures both my TJ and JT rear tire bulge to rear tire bulge. TJ (has 31x10.5x15) measures ~69 inches. JT (Overland all stock) measures 73 inches.

I’m not a genius, but I’m pretty sure the difference is ~4 inches.

Now I’ll get off your lawn...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Starrs and Zorba
So, I just can’t leave well enough alone..
It's forgivable. Go up Schofield past Chrystal. If the outside boulder is still there on the edge, above the punchbowl, have fun. The inside one, though, is the recent fall. If you're locked, you can manage the thrill. Flat fender guys and us pre 2007s want it left the way it is, but it is a county route and I imagine for safety purposes, it'll get cleared. I like driving the JLRs, and I fully appreciate the purpose of a 4 door. If I was raising a family, had two jobs and my wife and kids were all working, I'd get one.

Not sure I will make it to NM anytime soon. Beginning of 2021 I’m going to start building the JT for a trip through KS, CO, UT, NV, and CA. Long bucket list Rubicon Trail is calling... I’ve been toying with building the TJ to flat tow and take through the trails too... that brings in how I know about the widths... been toying with getting JTR axles under my JTO, and swapping my JTO axles into the TJ...

It kills the fun.
It's the $5000 (no choice but buy) electronic garbage that kills the fun for me. One minor $10 IC electronic glitch and you're shut down .... stranded ..... screwed. Happened to me in a rental in a parking lot. Have read a lot of, "Jeep Just Died" blogs over in the JL forum. That crap doesn't belong on a 4WD only trail. Who never had a computer fail, using it in an air conditioned office? You think computers hold up better beating around mud, snow, rocks, sand, etc., 40 miles from the next running vehicle? Enough time logged on that stuff and there will be grief. Gotta have a chance to get up and running with basic tools and straight forward engine electrical, Just Enough Essential Parts. Crankshaft Position Sensors were bad enough, but small enough to keep in your pocket and not too expensive or hard to get at.

If you worry about all that, then you’ve already lost the desire to go out, and feel that running trails is a burden...

It's the $5000 (no choice but buy) electronic garbage that kills the fun for me. One minor $10 IC electronic glitch and you're shut down .... stranded ..... screwed. Happened to me in a rental in a parking lot. Have read a lot of, "Jeep Just Died" blogs over in the JL forum. That crap doesn't belong on a 4WD only trail. Who never had a computer fail, using it in an air conditioned office? You think computers hold up better beating around mud, snow, rocks, sand, etc., 40 miles from the next running vehicle? Enough time logged on that stuff and there will be grief. Gotta have a chance to get up and running with basic tools and straight forward engine electrical, Just Enough Essential Parts. Crankshaft Position Sensors were bad enough, but small enough to keep in your pocket and not too expensive or hard to get at.
amen.jpg