Solo wheeling vs clubs

We went on a snow run a couple years back and it was posted up on FB so we go a bunch of "new" Jeepers. We get to the trail and tell everyone to air down to 8 to 10psi, the snow is soft and DEEP. Well as you can guess most of the new ones didn't and once they got buried in the side ditches they climb out to dig out in thier Nike tennis shoes and jeans., and no shovels. Well that didn't go well for them. We never even made it half way over the top before we called "Bullshit" and canceled the rest of the trip, it took two more hours trying to turn them around before we had to spend the night on that mountian. Group rides? No thank you! :(

I'm usually solo, maybe a friend with me but he doesn't have an offroad vehicle. He's hoping to get one soon though. There are some others around here that I could go with, but I don't really care to be around them on a normal day and can't imagine spending a day, or days, on a trail with them. When by myself, I use caution in what I do, take more gear and supplies than probably necessary.

I just like being outdoors in nature and don't really mind being by myself. It's peaceful.

I've heard there was a club in my area, but I've never seen them.

Last edited:
I've always been kind of a loner type person. It's my quiet time away from the house. There's been a lot of good suggestions for what to bring and not. I need to work on setting up my jeep a little better incase I can't make it out for what ever reason. I do try to be careful out on the trails, it just seems that Murphy is always my copilot no matter what I'm doing.

I'm in MA and literally everything is off limits to passenger vehicles. There are some legal single track and ATV trails around but everything else is private property or owned by the state and "No Offroad Vehicles Allowed". Not to say people don't go wheeling but you'll be paying bigtime if you get caught. Same goes with the neighboring states...at least close enough to the MA border.

So I need to either know someone who allows wheeling on their property or have to join a club as they do trail runs. I have been hesitant to join a club only for the fact that there may be tons of people with varying abilities and you can literally wait for an hour before you get to move sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: matkal and RINC
To me wheeling in a group is the preferred way. However the individuals in that group can make or break a trip. The group needs to contain individuals with similar mindsets; otherwise, someone is having a bad time.

For the most part (and I am sure there is outliers); FB has ruined the clubs. Our local club went from a core group of wheelers to a social club on FB. Luckily for me I was able to meet some of that core group before the club went from planning wheeling trips to planning Jeep Nights.

I am enjoying the thang we got going here in the Phoenix area. Informal trips with peeps from this site. Makes it even better having out of towners go with us.

Thanks to @Chris for this site as we are able use it to organize trips. The social thang I do not get. Meet at a bar to bench race is not for me. We did once run a trail that ended at a bar. That was cool. Hung out a bit. I inhaled a couple PBR's.
blackcanyon006.jpg

I'd prefer wheeling in a group but I haven't really found anyone in my area...that and my trips tend to be spontaneous to fit around hectic schedules.

One solution I found... actually solved two problems...was buy a JK for my wife...one...she gets car sick if she doesn't drive, so I never got much seat time...and two...now we have seat space to invite friends and have a second recovery vehicle JIC.

-Mac

I'd prefer wheeling in a group but I haven't really found anyone in my area...that and my trips tend to be spontaneous to fit around hectic schedules.

One solution I found... actually solved two problems...was buy a JK for my wife...one...she gets car sick if she doesn't drive, so I never got much seat time...and two...now we have seat space to invite friends and have a second recovery vehicle JIC.

-Mac

Mrs App gets the old LJ and I'll get my new one so we don't wheel alone.

In the northeast, unless you're going to an off-road park, you're going no where. The clubs here all have access to private property. The clubs also belong to associations of clubs. Over the years, you find out the type of club they are and if they wheel the way you do. When you figure out who has similar likes and dislikes, you join. Then you get involved. Push to do the type of wheeling you like. There will be more people with the same like mindedness than you realize. There are times when we have runs that we state the type of wheeling that will be involved and we limit the number of rigs and the type. It's a first come first served type of event. Other events are more open.

For just getting together and BSing about Jeeps, that's what the monthly meetings are for. We usually have our meetings at a restaurant/bar so people can gather together. Once business is completed, many people stay and BS at the bar or go out in the parking lot.

Our club has a monthly meeting and at least one monthly run. We try to keep the runs varied. Because we belong to an association, I also have the ability to tag along with another club that may be going to a different location at a different date if I can't go on one of ours. I have come to know quite a number of people from all over the Northeast over the years. I know who I like to wheel with and who I don't. I pick the runs I like and with the people I like. I am very involved to keep our club moving forward.

A couple of quotes I live by:

1. Things get done by those who show up

2. There Are Three Types of People: Those Who Make Things Happen, Those Who Watch Things Happen, and Those Who Wonder What Happened.

I would encourage you to start your own club with like minded people. They're out there.

Andy-WhiteTJ, I like your comments. We've found a couple of decent places to ride but you're right about parks being the primary options to ride. We're on the Delaware in Easton, PA, area and looking for the kind of clubs you mentioned. FB is not best way to connect with many like-minded Jeepers. We are a little far from you. If you know of clubs that cover our area we'd like to connect if you'd care to pass along some ideas. Thanks.

Reactions: reddvltj
In the northeast, unless you're going to an off-road park, you're going no where. The clubs here all have access to private property. The clubs also belong to associations of clubs. Over the years, you find out the type of club they are and if they wheel the way you do. When you figure out who has similar likes and dislikes, you join. Then you get involved. Push to do the type of wheeling you like. There will be more people with the same like mindedness than you realize. There are times when we have runs that we state the type of wheeling that will be involved and we limit the number of rigs and the type. It's a first come first served type of event. Other events are more open.

For just getting together and BSing about Jeeps, that's what the monthly meetings are for. We usually have our meetings at a restaurant/bar so people can gather together. Once business is completed, many people stay and BS at the bar or go out in the parking lot.

Our club has a monthly meeting and at least one monthly run. We try to keep the runs varied. Because we belong to an association, I also have the ability to tag along with another club that may be going to a different location at a different date if I can't go on one of ours. I have come to know quite a number of people from all over the Northeast over the years. I know who I like to wheel with and who I don't. I pick the runs I like and with the people I like. I am very involved to keep our club moving forward.

A couple of quotes I live by:

1. Things get done by those who show up

2. There Are Three Types of People: Those Who Make Things Happen, Those Who Watch Things Happen, and Those Who Wonder What Happened.

I would encourage you to start your own club with like minded people. They're out there.

Well said and that has been my experience so far, as well. I actually have a good group of buddies who like to wheel, so finding a club hasn't been too high on my list, but a couple of them are changing their priorities, so I had to find more people to go with.

Like most people east of the Mississippi, any rock crawling needs to be done in private parks. I’m sorta fortunate in Michigan though as we do still have public access land, though you have to travel a bit. As our population increases on this side of the state, they are closing trails in the state game areas. I used to be able to run two tracks about 5 miles from home, but alas, those are no more. Still public access, but walking only.

• Sad
Reactions: reddvltj and RINC
I have been solo riding a ton over the years. 50-60 miles away from anything on four wheelers or my jeep. I usually do not push the limits though when I'm by myself. I find it very relaxing to just drive without a plan by myself on a trail. I've enjoyed the little bit of group riding I've done, as we hit harder stuff Than I would have done myself. I always have plenty of water, multiple people know the general area I will be in and an estimated time that I should be back. I have carried a SPOT 2 way messenger for a long time and now I wouldn't go anywhere without it. Basic tools to address small issues if they come up. It's impossible anyone to get lost though where I'm at. I'm very rural, and have to drive over an hour to meet up with any of the "local" jeep clubs which is also a pain.

I have been solo riding a ton over the years. 50-60 miles away from anything on four wheelers or my jeep. I usually do not push the limits though when I'm by myself. I find it very relaxing to just drive without a plan by myself on a trail. I've enjoyed the little bit of group riding I've done, as we hit harder stuff Than I would have done myself. I always have plenty of water, multiple people know the general area I will be in and an estimated time that I should be back. I have carried a SPOT 2 way messenger for a long time and now I wouldn't go anywhere without it. Basic tools to address small issues if they come up. It's impossible anyone to get lost though where I'm at. I'm very rural, and have to drive over an hour to meet up with any of the "local" jeep clubs which is also a pain.

Some of my favorite 4 wheeling was barely even that...just enough that I wouldn't take a Subaru, but it was a good 45 miles through national forest where I didn't see another soul for hours. I had no cell reception but I had plenty of water and backpacking gear so I could have walked to help if needed.

Some of my favorite 4 wheeling was barely even that...just enough that I wouldn't take a Subaru, but it was a good 45 miles through national forest where I didn't see another soul for hours. I had no cell reception but I had plenty of water and backpacking gear so I could have walked to help if needed.

Ya I do this all the time in my area. Not really challenging trails, other then wash out damage. But 5 minutes of out town, and I might not see anyone else all day.

That's how it is here in South East Arizona. Lots of NF's, BLM, and State trust land. The permit for State trust land is $25. Most the time you can count on one hand the people you (might) see in one day. Usually it's going to be a Border Agent. Lots of dispersed camping here also.

It depends on if where they are headed has really good ice cream or beer.

Otherwise. I went to Moab with a group of guys that owned the local 4x4 shop and my mechanic brother.

He said it was the first time he's ever gone out where the people around him didn't expect him to fix broken shit.

To me wheeling in a group is the preferred way. However the individuals in that group can make or break a trip. The group needs to contain individuals with similar mindsets; otherwise, someone is having a bad time.
THIS !!!!
Many years ago my brother and a few friends wheeled with , —— , ( rhymes with 5280 ) High Jeep Club. This experience made me never want to wheel with a club again. we were on medium bare trails with snow fields and some drifts . We like to crawl or bang hard into the snow depending on the conditions.
The "club" were pissed that we didn't have CB radios to endlessly ratchet jaw with. "How do you 4-wheel without communicating with the CB ?" Then as I followed a nice early Bronco on the trail we get to a 25 foot long
snow field 2-3 feet deep with bare ground before and after, I thought " go for it " I got your back for recovery. We were shocked that the EB stopped on dry ground and stung out winch cable to drag him self entirely through the snow to dry ground on the other side. WTF, if I had a winch on my daily driver Chevette I could have gone anywhere with these clubbers . Maybe we weren't "in" because we wheeled a Blazer , K-10 , and F-250 highboy but REAL 4 wheeling dudes don't give a crap about what you run.
Small groups of 4-6 rigs of like minded guys works for me.

THIS !!!!
Many years ago my brother and a few friends wheeled with , —— , ( rhymes with 5280 ) High Jeep Club. This experience made me never want to wheel with a club again. we were on medium bare trails with snow fields and some drifts . We like to crawl or bang hard into the snow depending on the conditions.
The "club" were pissed that we didn't have CB radios to endlessly ratchet jaw with. "How do you 4-wheel without communicating with the CB ?" Then as I followed a nice early Bronco on the trail we get to a 25 foot long
snow field 2-3 feet deep with bare ground before and after, I thought " go for it " I got your back for recovery. We were shocked that the EB stopped on dry ground and stung out winch cable to drag him self entirely through the snow to dry ground on the other side. WTF, if I had a winch on my daily driver Chevette I could have gone anywhere with these clubbers . Maybe we weren't "in" because we wheeled a Blazer , K-10 , and F-250 highboy but REAL 4 wheeling dudes don't give a crap about what you run.
Small groups of 4-6 rigs of like minded guys works for me.

This is the kind of thing that happened to me in the early 90's. Went to the Rubicon with a jeep club from Santa Rosa,Ca. To many rules and to many stuck up know it alls. Funny part is, I hardly remember the trip because it wasn't any fun with them.