Solved broken ignition thanks yall!

Justemptyeverypocket

Possible Maniac
Supporting Member
I was just stranded by my tj with no warning i was up feeding my horse and it ran fine on the way there but when i went to leave it cranked for a quarter second then died and won't crank anymore its throwing a code for a fuel pump relay but i can hear the pump prime any ideas on what this is?

Have you checked your battery? Dirty, corroded terminals/posts can cause some weird things to happen.

Have you checked your battery? Dirty, corroded terminals/posts can cause some weird things to happen.
I did indeed its perfectly clean and charged i checked all my fuzes and relays and theyre good too thats why in kinda confused its throwing a code p1282 had no codes prior to this and was running like top with good oil pressure

But wouldn't it still crank?
Yeah so the engine doesn't turn at all? Have you had a friend tap the starter while you try and start?

have you checked ALL grounds? It is usually a ground wire that funks everything up. Whenever I had cranking issues, it was the ground or a shitty connection on the battery like Tworley said

Yeah so the engine doesn't turn at all? Have you had a friend tap the starter while you try and start?

have you checked ALL grounds? It is usually a ground wire that funks everything up. Whenever I had cranking issues, it was the ground or a shitty connection on the battery like Tworley said
Yeah i tryed knocking the starter i haven't had a chance to look at as its at the boarding facility where i keep my horses

Yeah i tryed knocking the starter i haven't had a chance to look at as its at the boarding facility where i keep my horses
This doesn’t sound like your issue, but a no crank problem baffled me enough to where I did the starter, the ignition switch and the actuator. Still would occasionally get the no start problem.
I read up online it could be a neutral safety switch. I have an automatic, so I tried starting in park, no luck. Slipped it in neutral and it fired right up. Mine doesn’t throw a code for this, but it’s worth giving a shot before disassembling everything. No cranking at all doesn’t sound like a fuel issue to me, but I could be wrong.

This doesn’t sound like your issue, but a no crank problem baffled me enough to where I did the starter, the ignition switch and the actuator. Still would occasionally get the no start problem.
I read up online it could be a neutral safety switch. I have an automatic, so I tried starting in park, no luck. Slipped it in neutral and it fired right up. Mine doesn’t throw a code for this, but it’s worth giving a shot before disassembling everything. No cranking at all doesn’t sound like a fuel issue to me, but I could be wrong.
I tryed throwing it in neutral that didn't work ill check the ignition switch

Yeah, the ignition switch actuator is a cheap little pot metal pin that connects the ignition tumbler to the switch itself. When the actuator pin breaks the starter won't crank even if the key is turned. What I would do is leave the key in the on position, trans in neutral, pull the starter relay and then jump the power side of the relay receptacle with a little pair of needle noses. That should get the engine to crank and bypass the ignition switch all together.

Yeah, the ignition switch actuator is a cheap little pot metal pin that connects the ignition tumbler to the switch itself. When the actuator pin breaks the starter won't crank even if the key is turned. What I would do is leave the key in the on position, trans in neutral, pull the starter relay and then jump the power side of the relay receptacle with a little pair of needle noses. That should get the engine to crank and bypass the ignition switch all together.
Alright im gonna hop in the xj and go try it thank for the help!

Probably not this, but the ignition actuator can break.

DSC_0005.jpeg

If it is broken you can start it with a screwdriver once it is apart.
Just stick it in the black box on the left side behind the ignition key tumbler/actuator.

Jeep no longer sell the actuator you need to go aftermarket, Dorman or ??

DSC_0004.jpeg

Probably not this, but the ignition actuator can break.

View attachment 132859

If it is broken you can start it with a screwdriver once it is apart.
Just stick it in the black box on the left side behind the ignition key tumbler/actuator.

Jeep no longer sell the actuator you need to go aftermarket, Dorman or ??

View attachment 132861
my ignition is definitely broken as i could pull the key out when it was running

Here's a pic for reference, should be terminals 10 and 14 (this is out of my 99 manual). If you jump those with the relay removed and the key in the on position it should crank. If the actuator pin is your problem it'll also start so you can get it somewhere. I drove around having to do this little dance for a week before I got around to fixing it.

Starter.JPG