(SOLVED) Weird symptoms with automatic PCM in manual TJ (2.5, AX-5)

thedustyboot

A drug habit would be cheaper
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Starting a thread to discuss/investigate some intermittent engine stumbling/staggering issues I've noticed after I bought this TJ with regards to possible compatibility issues with having a PCM from a TJ with an Automatic

As per @RMETeeJay 's suggestion I've started a new thread here to post what my current issues/symptoms are and later what my findings will be when I start looking at wiring and any other possibilities such as bad sensors or grounds.

Here's what I've noticed so far along with the conditions under which they've happened:

High idle - When the jeep is running and not in gear, if the jeep rolls forwards (or even backwards) over a certain speed my RPM's will jump from the normal 750-ish to around 1100 rpm. Once I stop rolling, and after about 2-3 seconds, the RPM's will drop back down to about 750RPM again. The only other movement related action the jeep does is activate the daytime running lights once I start moving after starting the vehicle. These two events also happen almost simultaneously.

Hard stumbling/stuttering at low RPM - I've had a couple instances where I've driven up a steep section of trail or steep rough section of logging road that required using 1st gear and have had the engine bog down from lack of torque. During this relatively quick decrease in RPM the engine will start to misfire and stall. This starts happening around 600-650 RPM. I plan on re-gearing axles to eliminate this issue altogether in the future so that I'm not forced to use 4LO 😅

Stutter/misfire with too much throttle input - We've all been there, you're in an underpowered vehicle driving up a hill and you have your foot to the floor hoping to coax a couple more miles per hour out of your rig... Except for my TJ apparently. Too much throttle input causes stuttering.

Hitting potholes to hard/fast - It happens to the best of us from time to time. This one will most likely make all the skilled and knowledgeable folk on here (not me) think that I definitely have a wiring issue. Whether it's a bad ground that rattled loose, a short in the harness where it might be rubbing against the valve cover, or a poor connection to a sensor such as the IAC. These are ALL valid points and I will be checking them at a later date when home from shift.

The last thing worth mentioning is the constant check engine light. I was told by the PO who installed the PCM that it is "due to the PCM being from an automatic and not having a sensor from an automatic trans hooked up"

I also have no idea what year of jeep this PCM came out of.

I will add info on my findings when I get home. In the meantime, any and all information is greatly appreciated. The more people I can get to help get to the bottom of this the better. On top of that, if anyone knows if a re-flash or programming is needed when buying a PCM designated for a manual trans that would be sweet.

Before I did my manual to auto swap, I installed the auto pcm with the manual trans and had similar issues.

Get the right pcm.

Start by talking to Mark, @Wranglerfix. He is the PCM expert here and can help you both identify what you have and get what you need.

Reactions: Chris
@mrblaine @Lou @Irun @freedom_in_4low @Chris

Huge thanks for the quick reply gentlemen. I'm currently on the Wranglerfix website right meow. I work away from home so wrenching and research are somewhat detached from each other.

The fact the @Lou has experienced similar issues with having a mismatched PCM no longer makes me feel like I'm all alone with this conundrum.

I will start the process of ordering the right PCM when I get home this coming weekend.

Chris, I've learned so much since joining this forum. I appreciate all the work that you and any other team members do to keep this site going.

Again, thank you all for the help and support.

Why wouldn't one start with the correct PCM and eliminate any PCM related issues?
well, obviously, but I'm curious what the codes are, as well as the purpose of all the funny things it's doing. And if there are codes that have nothing to do whatsoever with the transmission it might give him something to do while he waits for a new one.

I noticed my 99 5 speed would die at stop signs when it wasn't getting a speed signal. So even the manual trans PCM seems to do something based on the vehicle being in motion or not, but less pronounced with the auto.

well, obviously, but I'm curious what the codes are, as well as the purpose of all the funny things it's doing. And if there are codes that have nothing to do whatsoever with the transmission it might give him something to do while he waits for a new one.

I noticed my 99 5 speed would die at stop signs when it wasn't getting a speed signal. So even the manual trans PCM seems to do something based on the vehicle being in motion or not, but less pronounced with the auto.
I will do as much diagnostics as I can with the time I have this upcoming weekend and will report my findings 😄

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
My 2.5 manual will increase the idle when moving faster than a few mph. Then when I come to a stop it drops back to normal. Similar rpm’s to what you describe. Not sure why it does it but it is controlled by the pcm.

Reactions: Sj's TJ
My 2.5 manual will increase the idle when moving faster than a few mph. Then when I come to a stop it drops back to normal. Similar rpm’s to what you describe. Not sure why it does it but it is controlled by the pcm.
Mine does the exact same. As soon as I'm completely stopped, the idle is lower and smooth.

See if you can correlate that to not doing any steering while moving. There is a pressure switch on the steering pressure line that is supposed to let the PCM know when to bump up the idle when the steering is being used. Or maybe sit still and turn the steering wheel to see if it does the idle bump then.

See if you can correlate that to not doing any steering while moving. There is a pressure switch on the steering pressure line that is supposed to let the PCM know when to bump up the idle when the steering is being used. Or maybe sit still and turn the steering wheel to see if it does the idle bump then.
Seems like I played with that once before. I know I have replaced the pressure switch once due to it was leaking. The issue never changed. It has always done that since I bought it. Tomorrow I will mess with it again and see just to find out for sure.

Last edited:
Wow more people with the mysterious RPM jump. I will do the steering test when I'm home and see what happens.

I'll also try getting some video of the rpm jump. When the jeep is idling at it's normal 750-ish rpm I can just barely tickle the throttle and it will jump right up to 1100 rpm for a few seconds before coming back down again.

Wow more people with the mysterious RPM jump. I will do the steering test when I'm home and see what happens.

I'll also try getting some video of the rpm jump. When the jeep is idling at it's normal 750-ish rpm I can just barely tickle the throttle and it will jump right up to 1100 rpm for a few seconds before coming back down again.
That’s a bit different than mine. Mine idles and returns to idle properly. However, if I am moving faster than a couple miles per hour then it idles at 1100rpm. As soon as I come to almost a complete stop, the idle drops down to normal. Very weird, Maybe it’s in the PCM tune? I dunno.

That’s a bit different than mine. Mine idles and returns to idle properly. However, if I am moving faster than a couple miles per hour then it idles at 1100rpm. As soon as I come to almost a complete stop, the idle drops down to normal. Very weird, Maybe it’s in the PCM tune? I dunno.
@Gollywomper I have the same issues. In addition to what I described in your last reply, if I roll faster than "X" amount of MPH I'll get the rpm jump