Someguys 04

i wanna go west, south west but she wants south florida. maybe me and @Jerry Bransford can go gator wheelin. i don't mind it'll be a lot flatter ride to the west for trips than from ohio.
i'll be able to tinker yr round and i like to fish more than hunt since i'm an old bastard now and plenty of that to do down there.

i got a haul to go wheelin now so runnin out of state for long wkends is just fine by me.
Fishing, now you're talking. The fishing season is just about to start rolling here on the Oregon Coast starting with halibut in two weeks, followed by salmon, bottom fishing and of course crabbing for dundeoness crab. We fish until Thanksgiving here. My buddies are huge tuna fisherman but you have to go 35 to 100 miles offshore to find the warm blue water where the tuna run. I do like hunting too, especially for elk.
I hope you find a good spot that you both can work with!
i got downgraded when i moved in with her. i had a 2.5 car with lofted ceiling and 8" door......she's got a 1957 car shed and i almost scrape the sport bars on the door with 33's....... the 35's gotta be almost empty to fit in.
I'm sure you could frame out a garage in no time if you had the space.

took my lady out for a steak dinner last night, she's doin good, back to work fulltime doin 3 AA meetings a wk and that deserves a bit of reward.
and i ended up with @Wildman toothache this morn. been doin salt water and it's startin to calm down.

made up a pinion rotor for that 205. thats posted over on the doubler thread. needs finished up but the 1st fit is acceptable.

made myself several 1/8" NPT bungs gonna try and braze 1 into the trans pan and i got the trailer hubs spic-n-span, all bearing are good and ready to be repacked fresh found 3 kinds of grease in 2 of the hubs and only 2 types in the other 2 hubs all 3 different greases, i cleaned every bit of that out.

i tested those brakes 1 is no good 1 is iffy and 2 checked ok problem is the screw ups are not on the same axle and i'm not doin 1 side of each axle. pads magnets and springs cost more that new assemblies so i'm going with 4 new brake assemblies.

texas is supposed to be sendin us some warm temps this wk with no forecast of rain, as long as the wind stays down i'm hopin to finish up the welding and priming of the trailer frame. and book some miles on the jeep in the evenings i hope.

279433085_1258871584520638_404754779719089892_n.jpg

279665888_324388729803901_3379052561837188364_n.jpg

took my lady out for a steak dinner last night, she's doin good, back to work fulltime doin 3 AA meetings a wk and that deserves a bit of reward.
and i ended up with @Wildman toothache this morn. been doin salt water and it's startin to calm down.

made up a pinion rotor for that 205. thats posted over on the doubler thread. needs finished up but the 1st fit is acceptable.

made myself several 1/8" NPT bungs gonna try and braze 1 into the trans pan and i got the trailer hubs spic-n-span, all bearing are good and ready to be repacked fresh found 3 kinds of grease in 2 of the hubs and only 2 types in the other 2 hubs all 3 different greases, i cleaned every bit of that out.

i tested those brakes 1 is no good 1 is iffy and 2 checked ok problem is the screw ups are not on the same axle and i'm not doin 1 side of each axle. pads magnets and springs cost more that new assemblies so i'm going with 4 new brake assemblies.

texas is supposed to be sendin us some warm temps this wk with no forecast of rain, as long as the wind stays down i'm hopin to finish up the welding and priming of the trailer frame. and book some miles on the jeep in the evenings i hope.

View attachment 329080

View attachment 329081
What's the benefit of brazing in those bungs as compared to welding?

i wanna go west, south west but she wants south florida. maybe me and @Jerry Bransford can go gator wheelin. i don't mind it'll be a lot flatter ride to the west for trips than from ohio.
i'll be able to tinker yr round and i like to fish more than hunt since i'm an old bastard now and plenty of that to do down there.

i got a haul to go wheelin now so runnin out of state for long wkends is just fine by me. but tennessee and s carolina are not out of the option range so maybe i won't get stuck to deep.
Come on down south, we’ll show you a good time in the woods!

Reactions: someguysjeep
the trans pan seems thin as crap and i'd rather not arc through it, am i wrong? seems like pot metal to me not near as thick as the oil pan even.
if i pull it off and it seems like it's thicker than i feel it is i'll go ahead and weld......but i'm prepared to braze if required.

the trans pan seems thin as crap and i'd rather not arc through it, am i wrong? seems like pot metal to me not near as thick as the oil pan even.
if i pull it off and it seems like it's thicker than i feel it is i'll go ahead and weld......but i'm prepared to braze if required.
I’ve welded bungs into a few trans pans, never had a problem. I’ve never brazed, that’s why I was asking.

You could Tig, Braze or Mig.
Tig would be first choice because of the ability to control the heat, be leak free with a small bead with very minimal distortion. Followed by brazing because the brazing material will flow into the void assuring a leak free joint and a high strength fusion weld isn't necessary. Lastly Mig isn't out of the question but since you don't need a high strength fusion weld and the possibility of burning a hole in the thin pan then I'd use this option last. Just my opinion

home today with a toothache, i hate that crap. got into the dentist and same story...... they wanna take the tooth. but every time this happens i manage to get another yr or so from it so i;m not givin in until it won't. got some antibiotics, you'd think i was askin for some coke the way they look at you it's F'n penicillin and i promise i won't try and snort or shoot it.

ordered up those new trailer brakes, all 4. then got on Summit and snagged a Derale trans temp sensor w/sender and my rotors for my project axle.
to dam windy to weld today but i'm spraying paint where i can block the wind back/off between spots that still need welding.

for the decking i have a fair bit of 3/16 steel diamond plate. and it's fairly heavy and i need more. wondering if wood runners would be lighter enough to go that way. had actually hoped to find a couple cargo van ramps, those 30" wide 14' aluminum pull out ramps. those would be sweet runners but there is nothin local right now and i fear those would also be fairly heavy. gotta price lumber, i know its not cheap anymore.

now i mentioned that project axle, i spent a bit of coin and managed to pull over 100# off the axle. 64# of that is weight is/was cranked weight, meaning weight the diff has to spin. it's all untested and it's not close to assembly yet, so that's all you get for now.

Reactions: Wildman
home today with a toothache, i hate that crap. got into the dentist and same story...... they wanna take the tooth. but every time this happens i manage to get another yr or so from it so i;m not givin in until it won't. got some antibiotics, you'd think i was askin for some coke the way they look at you it's F'n penicillin and i promise i won't try and snort or shoot it.

ordered up those new trailer brakes, all 4. then got on Summit and snagged a Derale trans temp sensor w/sender and my rotors for my project axle.
to dam windy to weld today but i'm spraying paint where i can block the wind back/off between spots that still need welding.

for the decking i have a fair bit of 3/16 steel diamond plate. and it's fairly heavy and i need more. wondering if wood runners would be lighter enough to go that way. had actually hoped to find a couple cargo van ramps, those 30" wide 14' aluminum pull out ramps. those would be sweet runners but there is nothin local right now and i fear those would also be fairly heavy. gotta price lumber, i know its not cheap anymore.

now i mentioned that project axle, i spent a bit of coin and managed to pull over 100# off the axle. 64# of that is weight is/was cranked weight, meaning weight the diff has to spin. it's all untested and it's not close to assembly yet, so that's all you get for now.
Is this axle for the trailer or jeep? Quit being coy!

Is this axle for the trailer or jeep? Quit being coy!
the axle isn't a secret it's a 2001 AAM 10.5 or what used to be known as a 14 bolt a few yrs prior. i did a short shave, 13 bolt cover and i'm toying with options to cut some weight if i can do it where it'll count. and that was by reducing the stock brake package and a few other tid bits.

274833208_311463194209986_4557658799115330213_n.jpg

once i get all the parts together i can mock stuff up, i still need to make up a caliper brackets, these rotors will allow that. i have some 3/8 aluminum plate and i'm hoping i can adapt it from the OE axle flange.........once i get it all mocked up i'll post pics and open it up for scrutiny.

Last edited:
Hehehe, is the suspense killing ya? He's using super secret lite weight gears and axle shafts. Their blue tooth.... :ROFLMAO:
not funny if the pocket were real deep we could add in some gun drilled axle shafts. but then id have more work cause i'd go balls deep and do 40 splines if the financing backed it.

3D printed ARB all the new tech.

not funny if the pocket were real deep we could add in some gun drilled axle shafts. but then id have more work cause i'd go balls deep and do 40 splines if the financing backed it.

3D rpinted ARB all the new tech.
Then the rear axle would be worth more than the rest of the Jeep...

Then the rear axle would be worth more than the rest of the Jeep...
right now the suspension holds the title to most expensive, the weight trimming is right around 10-11# for every 100$ spent. most of that is turning mass, so i'm not feeling ill about it yet......but the allure of the axle to begin with was you can run big wheels in stock form the rest really isn't needed for now.......maybe i toss in some better axle shafts but i'ma break a stock 1 b4 i consider them. the ARB is the last big piece, gears and a master kit are minor compared.

Last edited:
My buddy Chris broke an AAM 10.5 axle shaft on Rock Pile in Moab. Funny, the night before while swapping an axle seal, he was saying he had never heard of someone breaking one.

Lesson learned - keep your mouth shut…
oh i'ma have some spares on the trailer and i'm not against an upgrade if it's warranted. but you're right and i'm knockin on wood.

well it's time to dig out the hammer.
last night about 10:30 the dogs went out the door like gangbusters and got off to barkin at somethin. we got lots of rabbits , some possums and a few skunks + any number of stray cats. so i don't pay much attention. anyways this morn i'm tossin the ball for um and i see this shiny thing in the lawn..............it's a flashlight, dropped by whoever was in my yard behind my garage that my dogs were goin off about. i'm pretty careful about keepin the jeep and tools locked up and not leavin it all out to been seen by everyone, but somebody is snoopin.

i keep the 32 S&W featherlight in the drawer, but i think i need somthin that'll make it through some of the garage if needed now.