Someguys 04

suns shinin like a MFR today but not givin a bit of warmth....

We're finally out of our cold snap. I might try and paint the special tie rod this week! Might even take the TJ to work and blow the cobwebs out of it.
Screenshot_20220228-082545_Weather.jpg

We're finally out of our cold snap. I might try and paint the special tie rod this week! Might even take the TJ to work and blow the cobwebs out of it.
View attachment 312659
Hopefully it's headed this way. Bastards are trying to run out the salt on dry roads so they don't get next years budget cut. Sad mentality.

• Angry
  • Face Palm
Reactions: JMT and B00mb00m
finally gonna get to see some of that mild weather, the CO. guys have been enjoying all wk, they only sent 2 days worth but it's a start.
roads are still covered with salt and brine, so the jeep stays grounded to the yard for now, it'll take several days of rain to clean the mess away b4 she gets on the road. and we always get some last season snow, so it's not over just yet.

today i'm bustin the jeep out of the garage and gonna get to work on my axle collection (the 14bolt and trailer axles) some.

that's the next issue too.......................i don't have a 14 bolt, i have an AAM 10.5" axle.
"14 bolt". this name or reference is for the corporate GM axle they stopped making in 99-00. IIRC, these are all drum brake axles.
the 2001^ axle is an AAM 10.5" axle.
a few differences i have noticed are. it has a ribbed housing, huge disc brakes, metric bolts in the cover, and a large drain plug in the bottom. it has a different axle flanges, than the previous "corp" axles and different wheel hubs.
so if you wanna play with a 14B/AAM do some research, there is more support and upgrades for the older "corporate" axles than the newer AAM's.
ok so info is hard to find on the exact differences i have done a lot of searching to find crumbs.
the hubs are shorter......... they do not swap from 14B to AAM, the bearing gap is different. none of the aftermarket hub crap is made for the AAM axle, the "corp" can have lug conversions and wheel flange offset changes, none of this fits an AAM axle. nor do any ready made 14B brake packages,
some custom AAM hubs are available from a few small machining outfits. and brakes can be changed and made to work with weld on brackets.
as far as i can tell the master install kits differ a bit (a few pieces, not all), but the carriers/lockers and RnP are the same.

@NashvilleTJ , you used the ARB RD114 30 spline? that's the correct ARB # yes? any differences i'm missin here?
if i do try and play all this 205 doubler, cutting brakes stuff i need the ARB back there. thought about that grizzly to save a few $, but if it don't let that outside wheel loose straight away every time it's not gonna be right, can't have it catchin or needing to drag b4 it'll unlock, it'd have to be smooth as glass and i'm not sure it is that.

did a bit of cutting today, now just to grind off all the old crud and get some primer on it when the weather allows
there is a small lip on the bottom on each side that could be lessor so that'll happen too.

took the angle i expect it to sit close to and went level back to front.

274843727_374551970883042_902486681963772543_n.jpg

274833208_311463194209986_4557658799115330213_n.jpg

274821436_418165883443409_9079259056535753367_n.jpg

took almost 2wks of phone tag and FB messages but the 1st pieces for the axle are ordered, estimated a 3wks out. i get those the rest should be no trouble, it's the only "have to be made" pieces.

Reactions: Irun and Wildman
today and tomrw are pretty mild so i took a couple vaca days.

messed with the 205 a bit this morn and got the tail housing all put back together.

then i tore down the pinion assy. for the 14B/AAM. probably found the reason this axle was pulled, the large pinion bearing is smoked....scarred, pitted and super sloppy. my little homebrew press did the job pretty easily. i got to the crush sleeve that's all i wanted in case i decide to do the eliminator kit, it'd give me a start point.

then i got my "scrap bin" trailer frame laid out and started tacking things together. hoping it goes together pretty quick if the weather holds. using that old frame for a makeshift table/platform. at 4.5# per foot i'm at about 975# right now.

the only 220V lead i have to jump is the A/C line, since we don't run it often it's no issue, but i was tapped in in the basement and had to run a cord out...............so i removed that today and jumped it at the exterior service box..........no idea why i didn't do that from the rip. now i can get power to the welder anytime.

275224929_402317134939422_4575678853949755971_n.jpg

275420149_374652747611991_7140575319170714589_n.jpg

275515453_367983588537685_606264923862877829_n.jpg

Last edited:
bout to go get movin on that frame, but had to get few orders in 1st.

pinion nuts for the 205. i had ordered 1......... i need 3. shipping was more $ than the nuts from Denny's.
2 new sets of trailer wheels bearings and 4 new seals from Amazon.
and a 1350 CV yoke for the rear output on the 205 from BroncoGraveyard.

gave our resident T Wood rep Shawn a DM other day about 1350 vs 1410 he said the 1350 could run from a yoke but a 1410 would require a flange on the TC and cost a fair bit more.......so we'll do the 1350 until it proves it requires more.

need to order some axle parts here soon, sittin on the funds for the new locker and gears. just procrastinating until i'm out of the weeds on all these other messes i've made.

2" of snow and ice this morn........ohio sucks.

keep seeing posts lately about parts being hard to get, and mark-ups since the shortages have me in a better spot. i might be able to recoup a fair bit of spent funds of i can pry this stuff from my hands. i was set on keeping most for another jeep, so i didn't have to take a huge loss but things have changed now.

i'm sittin on a gently used, full MC 3.5' lift.
a currectlync steering linkage, maybe had 1000 miles on it,
a Savvy GTS, on the rig for a yr, maybe, never offroaded, just needs cleaned up.
Revo American made 27 spl Dana 30 front axle shafts, NIB.

this whole notion of another jeep is all good, but TBH with myself, i won't want that lift, i don't need the steering and i won't spend $ buildin up any Dana 30's. the GTS is the only item i could regret letting go of.

weather has been all over the place up n down, rain n snow warm then cold again. been tryin to tinker with things when i have the time or the weather. the trailers together i just need to do an assload of welding now.
that 205 is together and i'm lookin into a pinion brake for it.
jeeps good, weather is projected to be mild next few days so i got it ready for some miles, i put the cell cover in today and got the spare mounted as well. i didn't like the idea of fumbling with the heavy wheel trying to place it on a lugged wheel spacer so i rigged up a cone and T bar to lock it down.

i wanna feel the ride with that weight in the back end.

well i was still hangin onto the idea of making the Moab gathering, to the point of i'm about to buy a trailer so i could make it this yr. build mine out and sell 1 off in the fall to recoup what i can.

anyways some of you all might be aware my womans a drinker, been gettin worse for the last 7-8yrs. i should have been gone long ago.. she's a nasty mean drunk. and it's an all day thing for awhile now.
well last thurs we had a pretty good argument, then out of the blue fri she hits me with .........i'm gonna try and quit. she called a few friends in the AA program and went to a meeting.
now she can't just up and cold turkey this shit it'll hurt her bad, so she's hittin another meeting tomrw and has an appt booked to go in for detox thurs. she'll be away for 6-9 days depending how she does.

she a tough girl and i know she'll get through, and she's great when she's not pickled, i'm hopin for the best, i want my girl back.

this is all gonna take priority over any trip so, 2023. still wanna make a trial run and maybe get to CO. in a couple months.

ordered some parts for the axle project. new wheel bearings and seals. and i'm lookin into options for a pinion brake for that 205.

Last edited:
well i was still hangin onto the idea of making the Moab gathering, to the point of i'm about to buy a trailer so i could make it this yr. build mine out and sell 1 off in the fall to recoup what i can.

anyways some of you all might be aware my womans a drinker, been gettin worse for the last 7-8yrs. i should have been gone long ago.. she's a nasty mean drunk. and it's an all day thing for awhile now.
well last thurs we had a pretty good argument, then out of the blue fri she hits me with .........i'm gonna try and quit. she called a few friends in the AA program and went to a meeting. now she can't just up and cold turkey this shit it'll hurt her bad, so she hittin another meeting tomrw and has an appt booked to go in for detox thurs. she'll be away for 6-9 days depending how she does.

she a tough girl and i know she'll get through, and she's great when she's not pickled, i'm hopin for the best, i want my girl back.

this is all gonna take priority over any trip so, 2023. still wanna make a trial run and maybe get to CO. in a couple months.

ordered some parts for the axle project. new wheel bearings and seals. and i'm lookin into options for a pinion brake for that 205.
I truly hope she can kick that monkey off her back. Alcohol is a tough one to beat. Her wanting to stop is huge step and she can do it!
Good on you for making it priority one to support her when she needs it the most. Best Wishes!

I truly hope she can kick that monkey off her back. Alcohol is a tough one to beat. Her wanting to stop is huge step and she can do it!
Good on you for making it priority one to support her when she needs it the most. Best Wishes!
i'm no hero. i was gonna be down to the wire for the trip, if i even got that lucky...........this just keeps me from trying.

***** but if the dam weather holds i'll have 6-9 days to get stuff done.

Last edited:
Enjoy the break in the weather.
You must have sent some Ohio snow this way because overnight we got nearly 3" of snow here on the Oregon Coast! Getting snow at the beach is rare, getting snow in mid April is a first.

Been married to a few and I wish the best for both of you.

Enjoy the break in the weather.
You must have sent some Ohio snow this way because overnight we got nearly 3" of snow here on the Oregon Coast! Getting snow at the beach is rare, getting snow in mid April is a first.
this is normal for us 60* 1 day 23* the next then 5dys of rain, nothin stabilizes tottaly until mid to late may.

well last thurs we had a pretty good argument, then out of the blue fri she hits me with .........i'm gonna try and quit. she called a few friends in the AA program and went to a meeting.
now she can't just up and cold turkey this shit it'll hurt her bad, so she's hittin another meeting tomrw and has an appt booked to go in for detox thurs. she'll be away for 6-9 days depending how she does.

That’s a huge step. Hopefully, she has the mental toughness as you say to follow through with this. It will be hard for both of you but will be worth all the effort in the end. Good luck brother.

well she's went in, how she does over the next 4-5dys will determine when she gets out.
trying to clean up the house a bit and tinker with jeep stuff, i figure the house should be rearranged from when she left it, new beginning and all....... maybe keep her from returning to the rut she was in.

got my new wheel bearings for the project axle. tried workin on the trailer but winds gustin to 40 made it pretty tuff so i moved onto the driver seat. it leans a bit........it's supposed to, but so does the OE floor bracket, so i tried a 1" lift under the back of the mount and wasn't comfortable with the head room and proximity to the bars. so then i tried a 1/2' and that's titties and bacon, not feelin to close to the bars and have a better view of the edge of the hood.

was kinda mild today besides windy as hell, after some chores i busted the jeep out and ran around the block a few times. i wanna change the exhaust, not diggin the tone really and i'm hearin a hissy leak. i didn't get somthin sealed when i deleted the big converter.

i like the ride better with the weight of the tire in the back end, those struts were feelin stiff and the big wheel tamed some of that. if temps hold i'm gonna try and book some miles early tomrw.

got my girlie home today. they gave her a sedative b4 release so she'll be lazy the rest of today. they say she never got real sick so thats a positive but she is a bit shaky and weak. she's a tiny thing and they been pumpin her full of Boost for the last few days to start gettin weight back on her.
now to keep her occupied enough to not think about what she thinks she's missin.

gonna try and knock out some welding on the trailer.
maybe play with the exhaust, but i really need to dump the struts so i can cycle stuff ......it's tight, dealing with uppers that go within a couple inches of the tub to a back 1/2 framework that provides less space to work between.

Last edited: