Someguys 04

well my lady woke up early today. part of helping her stay on the wagon is to not let her sit around bored, so i took her out to a big old flea market the next county over. it was a nice mornin and we got some exercise.
i picked up a small drill vice for 7$, a small round file for 1$, and a couple small counter sink bits 2 for 5$. we saw some small rechargeable handheld zappers and got her 1 of those to carry and they had some cool lightweight hatchets w/sheath for 10$, dam things sharp enough to shave hair. it'll be a nice, easy and light to stow away in the rig. then we came across this old guy sellin hand made blades and who doesn't like some handmade damascus, i gave 20$ for it, wish he made hatchets too. it's a tad sharper than i wanna put to my arm, it'll shave hair if it shaves finger nails.

takin a break from welding now..........the worst thing about smaller home welders to me is the duty cycle. i'm spoiled with 100% at work.

286205374_574016744283669_2471007584748129090_n.jpg

got a fair bit of welding done to the trailer b4 temps forced me to turn the 220v leg back over to the A/C. temps are supposed to be back to normal Sat so i hope to get the suspension brackets and deck rails welded on. everything's laid out ready to go.

started drilling holes for lamp mounts and wire routing. got my junction box w/7 prong lead mounting location picked and the holes done. and started laying out wires and flexible conduit in estimated lamp locations. the 1st section (2ft) of trailer between cross members is planned to be under deck storage, i wasn't gonna plank this portion and make some type of hinged doors. the junction box will be inside this space.

not really any pics......... everything i mounted or fit i had to pull back off to paint all the raw metal. i'll probably mess with the break-away mounting tomrw eve if i have time..

wind finally laid down some this morn so i got those bracket bars mounted and the side rails spotted on. gonna try for more tomrw. if i get the rails done it's just some over head from below on the bottom side and it's ready for scuffing for a real coat of paint.

i'll probably just borrow a quart sprayer from work and get a gallon of something black from eastwoods.

got what i welded the other day primed and painted. picked up a weatherproof gang box and some conduit ends. haven't gotten around to the brake yet. i found and area up front i want to beef up some, just to be safe.

i opened some dumb ass thread about some fuel boycott my woman told me about...........dumbest thing i've done yet. i do not follow politics and it quickly escalated into something i did not expect and am not prepared to argue. i'll have to try to pay more attention to current events.

hopefully gonna be able to mount axles soon, i need this to be done. i'm not draggin my feet really other things have been forward of personal projects and works been makin my leg pretty numb by the time i get home and pour out of the truck. hopin i get another good push on it this wkend, but i'll dick with what i can for a couple hrs an eve when the leg allows.

my newest chore is starting to prep the house. if we plan to sell and move b4 winter we gotta start the ball rollin soon.

i managed to get out there after work and get the break-away brake charger/battery routed and mapped. that'll also fit into my covered section up front and only the small switch box and lanyard will be visible. i need to add a tab onto the side of my adjustable coupler mount for the lanyard to have a direct route, it won't reach clean from a rail.
i finished up a couple steps i'll be hanging. 1 on each side up front to help my old ass up on there. was to hot to weld this eve but tomrw is supposed to be cooler so i'ma try and get those rails finished. and i made up my addition to the tongue too, i should have carried the tongue support further, so i made up a couple slabs of some scrap 1/2 and coped it into the existing short support extending another 15" forward vertically. hard to explain i need to clean up the pieces a bit and i'll post a pic tomrw.

tomrw never came............ i didn't get a chance to run those bolsters across the big belt sander Fri. and forgot to load them to bring home. so i'll try to get that done tomrw.

i got the rails all welded on and painted up, then i got conduit run, the weatherproof gang box hung and my main bundle of wires pulled. except for it needing a full singular coat of paint, it's ready for a deck.

i ran out of welding gas so i'l have to pick some up this wk. i still need to do some work underneath.

Reactions: lBasket and Wildman
i finally got some time to grind those pieces and even remembered to bring them home. like i mentioned b4, i always tack things together or clamp them back to back when making pairs. this is 2, 1/2" slabs not yet split apart.

i didn't carry the 3" far enough and had planned to 86 it (thats why it wasn't protected and will need cleaned) but this will fix the issue i don't like. that span of 4" is plenty sturdy for the expected tongue weight while pulling. but may not be sufficient for spikes that might could be produced if hard braking is required.
anyways this slab of 1/2 will sit into the face of the 3" beam and then gusset the 4" beam.

290877735_455782049695675_1412136782944432670_n.jpg

289758149_1155685698556782_486689317431924125_n.jpg

my foreman told me to disappear and look busy Fri, so i made up a rear drop bumper. since the trailer deck is right around the 24" mark and anything 24" and above requires a drop down bar so a smaller vehicle cannot get under the back end. i just went ahead and made 1 up. all 3" channels, 2 drop legs and a beam, 3/8" gussets from it back onto the main trailer beams. for a total drop of 9" by 90" wide. this addition will make it easier to incorporate/hang my ramps too i believe.

i got the battery box for the disco brake mounted along with the main junction box, started making my front compartment floor since they had been tossing some galvanized sheet metal. but i really need the welding done on that rear end so i can pull wires through that end tube, so that'll be tomrw's task.

well hells bells ............the neighbor caught me opening up the garage this morn and said they are having guests and asked if i could avoid welding or grinding and/or painting today.

so i started messin with hanging the axles. everything is hung loosely. still need to get the second tube dressed with brakes and hubs but it's all ready to go and just pretty much bolt it on.
they shorted me, or i lost 1 nut so that needs replaced. i went ahead and put wheels onto the finished axle and i should be able to move it around gently if needed now. draggin the welder around it is a PITA.

and dig this shit............my woman confronted me this morn with 1 of her sober confessions. she's not been or wasn't paying the property taxes i've been giving her $ for for the last few yrs. after digging her out of 3k hole when i got here. says she paid some of it but now it's up to almost 5k.
so i had to bust out my rainy day shovel to start fillin this hole.........in this case my shovel was my fund for the 14B ARB and the Frog fab kit for the NP205 money. she's crippled me for the next several months and almost killed our shot at selling the house this yr........that's why she finally confessed, knowing i'd soon find out. so about every spare penny i get for the next few months will go to getting this squared to get back on track to sell and get out b4 snow flies.

and now top that BS with i made a mistake on wheel clearance space and need to mod the frame in close proximity to them to give them room. so i may end up with some sort of drive over fender now but it'll be just a few inches above deck height from the looks of it.
i don't go into most things with a design. i'm more rough idea and wing it, and every now and then you get tagged for it.

You're still breathing. It's a challenge but it could be much worse. Fix it and move on.

right, it ain't about the $, it's the delay of being able to get it up for sale that bugs me more right now, the markets not gonna hang forever, now's the time.

got the other axle put together tonight. i need to clean up a few things and should have 4 wheels mounted tomrw. i have to see what i'm dealin with once tires hit the ground and then i'll deal with the wheel clearance.

Reactions: UKTJ and Apparition
wheels are all on and she's sittin on her own suspension. wheels clearance (over) is no better than b4 so i'l be addressing that soon. until then it's good enough i can tug it around some and make working on it easier. the balance is such that i can lift the front end by hand, i'd estimate a 50-70# ballpark but i have things to add up front yet so that'll change.

291357162_711827093221774_4182171307865731029_n.jpg

alright so it's been several days a racking my brain trying to figure out what went wrong here.

i was kinda guessin a bit not knowing if i was gonna run 15" or 16" wheels. it's been buggin me, i planned on having more than enough tire space to the outside......then it hits me i was originally planning a 102" width, that won't fit through the gate next to the house. it's like 101" and i cut the width back to 96". just willy nilly with no other thought about it. if i was 102" it'd just be some fairly simple drive over fenders. which it still can be, but it'll be a bit more of a PITA because that portion of angle needs to go up 3".

held over from yesterday^

today i stared making the pieces to rise up over those wheels about 3.5". same angle as exists just making 2 riser sections i can cut and weld in. then i can add a riser on the gusset already present between the wheels and then add a couple more to catch the front and rear of the drive over humps.
by the time i add 2x deck lumber it'll only be about a 2. riser to get over, the emergent crown will span roughly 57" and that easily fits between wheels. i'm thinkin i'll do the humps with the 3/16" diamond plate i have and that'll keep it a fair bit thinner and lower than 2x planking.

i did get that bumper bar welded on solid, so now it can be painted tomrw and wires can be pulled through, i was gonna weld caps on the tail tube but i might look at some knock in black plastic caps to keep it accessible.
gonna try to work on that tongue tomrw too.

Reactions: taylormade73
That is going to be a nice trailer and not a lot of money spent on it!
i hope.......tryin to get it together.

the axles are used and were very reasonably priced, new brakes, suspension and wheels, just lights and lumber to go yet. all the steel was from the scrap bin..........kinda my johnny cash one piece at a time trailer.

it was more i wanted 5200# brake axles and not a lot of extra length with some extra width, no dovetail and not have to finance 5-7k.

Reactions: SoCalGlide
wind was blowin hard today all day, no welding or painting. so i worked on gettin all the wiring done, everything's run to where it's needed. both axles have new wires through the tubes. even ran a wire to hook up reverse lamps.
i had 2 front marker lamps, so i mounted those. then i ordered some tail lamps, 2 pair of bearing buddies and those plastic caps for the 3x3 tube. maybe tomrw will be calmer and i'll try and do what i wanted to today.

Last edited: