Soundbar Speaker Upgrade

Are those the M3 with 2.78" mounting depth, or the M6 with 3" mounting depth? Did you get any JLs to fit in the dash?
I have the M3’s! Did not put anything in the dash. I made a custom box in the truck with a second pair of the M3’s all powered off an amp

Slowly upgrading my system of my 2006 Rubi. Alpine Cde-123r head unit got put in a couple years ago with an Alpine KTP-445A amp for the main speakers.

Yesterday I swapped the dash speakers to the polks I have seen recommended here. My plan is to get the pod speakers installed this week with the 6.25" polks, and I currently have the driver side pod speaker out, and with just the front speakers and stock sub, it already sounds incredible, and with the top off doing 65 up the highway.
Kicker sub and amp are also waiting to be installed.

Reactions: CreepinDeth
I have a hard top. While I do want to upgrade my speakers eventually - I am trying to lower the noise level inside first. Finally got rid of my gear noise (lift was installed poorly, which killed some gears in my rear differential. I would say that was about 1/3 of my interior noise. I still have engine noise, wheel noise, road noise, and some exhaust noise. Of those, the exhaust noise might get addressed (think I probably have some holes in it - but the rest will just be soundproofing.

After that, maybe I will be able to tell just how bad my speakers are. I did upgrade the head unit already - it is working fine.

I have a hard top. While I do want to upgrade my speakers eventually - I am trying to lower the noise level inside first.

If you properly insulate the seals around the Jeep, and do some due diligence in sound deadening of the interior ~$50 it can be done. Now if you wanna do the wheel wells and rear gate, another $50 box will do it

We just discussed this in the Sound Deadener thread and I just finished mine. Jeeps (or cars in general) are TERRIBLE sound stages but can be improved very easily

I still have engine noise, wheel noise, road noise, and some exhaust noise.

I can't hear any of those things in mine. :unsure:

SPEAKER BOX (4).jpg

Reactions: CreepinDeth
The above advice is good, just keep one thing in mind when choosing your speakers... look for the Sensitivity rating in the specifications and MAKE SURE the Sensitivity rating is 90 dB or higher. The higher the dB (decibel) Sensitivity rating the less power the speaker requires to play at a given level.

To illustrate that, a speaker rated to 87 dB requires twice as much power from the amplifier to produce the same volume that one with a 90 dB Sensitivity rating does. Every 3 dB change is either doubling or halving the power required.

Jerry I appreciate the tip and have been comparing speakers on Crutchfield. They give two sensitivity ratings:

Specifications
Sensitivity (1W at 1 meter)88
Sensitivity at 2.83 volts91

Which one should I make sure is 90db or higher? Both or is one more important than the other?