Spare mounted trash / gear bag and Molle panel

jscherb

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I like the utility of a spare-mounted trash bag but most of the ones on the market are so dang ugly I don't want them on my Jeep. My latest shelter-in-place project: to design and sew one that actually looks good. One of the criticisms I hear about the most popular one on the market is that it isn't very UV resistant; I made this one from soft-top fabric, so it's very UV-resistant (unlike some on the market) and very strong. The fabric came from a used Bestop bikini top that I picked up for $15.

TrashHopperLJ1_zpslsoafzuz.jpg

TrashHopperLJ2_zps88g1tth0.jpg

TrashHopperLJ3_zpsgrbnnd5q.jpg

TrashHopperLJ5_zpsxiulrs3z.jpg

The bag is separate from the harness that straps to the spare and is held in place with 4 snap clips that can be seen in the photos. Removing the bag reveals a Molle grid made from webbing.

TrashHopperLJ5Molle1_zpsvdqkk52y.jpg

TrashHopperLJ5Molle2_zpsht9nlbrv.jpg

And it goes well with the Spice hardtop on my JKU...

TrashHopperJK1_zpstuk7j28n.jpg

Great idea, especially for a vehicle like the TJ which is already limited on interior space as it is (even the Unlimited models).

I like it!

Very clean! I'd buy one. The leather buckle straps give it a classy look.
Thanks. I'm tired of all the "style-free" vinyl products in the Jeep market so I wanted to design something with a little more class than what's out there.

The leather straps are for style and to provide some adjustment for the top flap. But you don't have to undo the buckles each time you want to open the bag, under each strap is a parachute buckle for quick access.

TrashHopperStraps_zpsohrib2qj.jpg

Sign me up for one. Is black a possibility?
After trying out the bag on both Jeeps today I started to think I ought to make a black one - since the Spice bag looks so good with the Spice JKU hardtop maybe I'll keep that one for the JKU and make a black one for the LJ. I've got plenty of black fabric from a full length used black bikini top I found on Craigslist a while back for $20.

I have an old black diamond soft top I could send you if you need materials. Just saying, lol!

I have an old black diamond soft top I could send you if you need materials. Just saying, lol!
I've actually got quite a bit of both black and Spice soft top fabric here. Whenever I find a used soft top or bikini top on Craigslist or eBay for a good price I buy it for the fabric. I picked up this black one a few months ago for $20, there's enough fabric in this one for several bags. I dug into the fabric collection this morning, I had forgotten I had this gray bikini as well. Gray might also look good on the LJ.

BlackAndGrayFabric_zpsllhlslrx.jpg

I've also got several complete factory soft tops here I picked up just for the fabric, and several more Spice bikinis.

There are many useful Jeep accessories and mods you can make with a used soft top and a sewing machine so I collect these whenever I can :).

Reactions: bobthetj03

I have one too.
Swap a used top for a new bag?

(At this rate, you'll never run out of material and never make a profit!)

• Haha
Reactions: TJ2