Spare tire carrier question

matkal

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I just took my spare off and there are three dents in the tire where the contact the rubber bumpers on the tailgate. Are these dents permanent and or detrimental to the integrity of the tire? Is it ok to eliminate the rubber bumpers?

I can't speak to the tire condition, but the tire being pressed up tight to the rubber bumpers is what you want to keep the integrity of the tailgate.

When's the last time you checked the air pressure in the tire? Is the tire stock?

I wouldn't remove the rubber bumpers. They keep the extra weight of the tire from causing damage to the mount or your tailgate.

I just bought the Jeep Saturday the tire looks brand new it’s a goodyear. I didn’t check the pressure but it bounces. As for the bumpers, I figured they were for support. The reason I took it off is it’s a different size and I’m going to try to trade it and the wheel for the proper size. Wheel is different size too 8302983030

I just bought the Jeep Saturday the tire looks brand new it’s a goodyear. I didn’t check the pressure but it bounces. As for the bumpers, I figured they were for support. The reason I took it off is it’s a different size and I’m going to try to trade it and the wheel for the proper size. Wheel is different size too View attachment 83029View attachment 83030
You'll probably have to do some finagling with the rubber bumpers to get the new wheel and tire to rest on the bumpers properly. Lots of people do it. If the backspacing of the new wheel is different and tire size is different, everything changes. Just an FYI.

Reactions: matkal
I looked at the build date of the tire; 2903. It’s the original spare! Lol
I suppose the dents should be expected after 15yrs