Speakers with good bass for front and rear of 2006 TJ

I am personally not a fan of self powered subs since the 6.75" Kicker replacement, with amp, is just as good as any self powered sub that would fit in the TJ. Plus you can now get a 5 channel amp to power the rest of the system, and still retain the stock head unit, if wanted. Or add a new head unit.
It’s quite a bit of work to modify a non-Rubicon center console into a 6.75” sub, which makes me a fan of the powered subs.

Only if someone is trying to retain stock look would I suggest the console conversion and maintenance of the stock head unit.

I had an 03’ Rubicon and I loved all the bells and whistles. The stock system was solid, but it doesn’t compete with my simple head unit, Polk’s and RF PS-8.

Last edited:
Reactions: pc1p and skrelnik
It’s quite a bit of work to modify a non-Rubicon center console into a 6.75” sub, which makes me a fan of the powered subs.

Only if someone is trying to retain stock look would I suggest the console conversion and maintenance of the stock head unit.

I had an 03’ Rubicon and I loved all the bells and whistles. The stock system was solid, but it doesn’t compete with my simple head unit, Polk’s and RF PS-8.

Yes, agreed, to modify that non-subwoofer center console insert is a PITA.

I still would avoid the self powered sub route, personally, but I understand the ease of install in that scenario where you do not have that subwoofer insert.

For me, I have an 8" shallow mount sub in there. German cars have these shallow mount 8" subs that work well in our TJ, so German car audio suppliers have lots of options.

I also have a dual 10" box with quick disconnect as I love my music, combined with a Jeep, and the tinkering never ends!

Reactions: bobthetj03 and JMT
I've been looking at these Kappa's recently. The sensitivity rating is 93. They look like they might be a good choice for a 5.25".

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108K53XF/Infinity-Kappa-53XF.html

I would push Kicker's 5.25" before the Infity since the Kicker comes with multiple ways to mount tweeter. The tweeter can be separately mounted one of three ways: flush, angled and pod. The pod method really increases the sound quality since the tweeter is now on axis with the driver. The tweeter is generally the star of the audio system, so for this reason I would push Kicker regardless of sensitivity. I fully understand sensitivity, but that metric is one of many variables to consider when buying/installing a speaker system.

I would push Kicker's 5.25" before the Infity since the Kicker comes with multiple ways to mount tweeter. The tweeter can be separately mounted one of three ways: flush, angled and pod. The pod method really increases the sound quality since the tweeter is now on axis with the driver. The tweeter is generally the star of the audio system, so for this reason I would push Kicker regardless of sensitivity. I fully understand sensitivity, but that metric is one of many variables to consider when buying/installing a speaker system.
You are the expert, so thanks!

You are the expert, so thanks!

I am average at best, but thanks! I like to look around for new products, and I was amazed that Kicker created this package. I would buy this all day long if I wanted to upgrade, considering I spent over $100 for my pods (no speakers). The sound is that much cleaner when the tweeter is on the dash. This is the set I was speaking about.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-2LX09x5pZ7c/p_20647KSS50/Kicker-47KSS504.html
As for sensitivity, the reason I throw that metric in the trash is because there is no standard measurement, each speaker manufacturer can measure in a different way. As an example one manufacturer could play music while another plays pink noise. A second would be where was the test performed, in a sound room or real-world environment, like a car. Car audio is tough with all these terms, and no standardization for the consumer to make an educated decision.

I have a 2004 stock radio with single CD player. My speakers are distorting from age I suppose and I already disconneted the woofer in the console because it was the worst offender. I'm not interested in a high volume...lots of bass speaker. Just something that does not distort at medium volume. Is Crutchfield a good source for stock type speakers?

I have a 2004 stock radio with single CD player. My speakers are distorting from age I suppose and I already disconneted the woofer in the console because it was the worst offender. I'm not interested in a high volume...lots of bass speaker. Just something that does not distort at medium volume. Is Crutchfield a good source for stock type speakers?

Yes, Crutchfield also include pigtails and mounting brackets, if needed. For just an inexpensive plug and play option I would recommend the Kicker D or C series - 5.25" up front and 5.25" in the overhead pods; 6.5" will work with some minor mods, but if you want to avoid mods then stick with the 5.25" all around, and also a Kicker 6.75" subwoofer in the center console.

D Series: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DSC504/Kicker-43DSC504.html?tp=105

C Series: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CC54/Kicker-46CSC54.html?tp=105

Subwoofer: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20648CT672/Kicker-48CWRT672.html

Thank you for the info and links. All this talk about the higher end systems clouds what is left of my gray matter. I just want to hear the music without the muffled distortions. Would you or anyone know if the 04 Unlimited LJ radio had the Sirius link built in? My 04.5 Dodge Ram diesel truck has almost the identical radio except it is 6 CD and has the puck on the roof for Sirius. Had to replace a door speaker on that one too. Bought the LJ used so no build sheet.

Reactions: skrelnik
Thank you for the info and links. All this talk about the higher end systems clouds what is left of my gray matter. I just want to hear the music without the muffled distortions. Would you or anyone know if the 04 Unlimited LJ radio had the Sirius link built in? My 04.5 Dodge Ram diesel truck has almost the identical radio except it is 6 CD and has the puck on the roof for Sirius. Had to replace a door speaker on that one too. Bought the LJ used so no build sheet.

I think it may have, but you would need to know what options you have. You can add an aftermarket Bluetooth Kit that hooks into your stock radio, then stream Sirius from your phone. Or a new head unit could handle that.

BT Kit: https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_ada...2004-bluetooth-adapter-car-kit-interface.html

Just spoke to a Crutchfield rep who confirmed the numbers you sent are correct for my Jeep but for a direct fit on the front speakers a pod kit is needed. Otherwise you have to do a little cutting and use brackets. The pods are only $20 bucks more so not a deal breaker there. But he also mentioned the subwoofer might have some buzzing distortion if cranked up loud when listening to music with a lot of base. The music we listen to usually does not have that rap sound I hear from some cars going down the road so it is probably okay. But I am curious if you or anyone else has used this speaker without adding more power. The input is compatible and I figure the sub is at least equal to what Jeep put in the car back in 2004.

Just spoke to a Crutchfield rep who confirmed the numbers you sent are correct for my Jeep but for a direct fit on the front speakers a pod kit is needed. Otherwise you have to do a little cutting and use brackets. The pods are only $20 bucks more so not a deal breaker there. But he also mentioned the subwoofer might have some buzzing distortion if cranked up loud when listening to music with a lot of base. The music we listen to usually does not have that rap sound I hear from some cars going down the road so it is probably okay. But I am curious if you or anyone else has used this speaker without adding more power. The input is compatible and I figure the sub is at least equal to what Jeep put in the car back in 2004.

I am curious to know what pods the rep was talking about? @TheBoogieman - any idea what Crutchfield was talking about here, $20 pods to fit a 5.25" in the front?

Most people use the Metra brackets that are sent for free, only from Crutchfield, with the speakers. I use them in my 2005 LJ, and never had a cut a thing. Top mount depth on these Kicker's are 1.75" (45mm) and my current 5.25" speakers have a 2.25" mounting depth.

Do you have a link to the recommended pods you were told to purchase?

As for the Kicker 6.75" subwoofer, it does want to be amplified, but it can still work okay with the stock amplifier, especially if you play with the bass settings on the head unit.

The man I spoke to set up my cart incorrectly and without the pods included so I don't have the part number yet. He told me the brackets were free but they would require minor cutting. He showed me a picture of the pods and they look a little like a cup. I have a call in for him and will update this when I get more info.

Just spoke to a different rep and we cleared up the bracket situation. I do NOT need the pods but he says it improves the sound a little. The modification using the brackets is they might (will) require me to drill new screw holes to match the different pattern of the speaker. He also suggested a kit with connectors, wire and tape and reduced the price on that from 15 to 5 bucks. Looks like a good kit so I don't have to scrounge thru my spare parts. The sub will require modification of the console. As I have read about that before I'm up to that challenge and can refer back to this forum if I need to. Good experience dealing with them so far. First time using them but if all goes well I will use them again. Speakers in my 2004 pickup are starting to go.

Just spoke to a different rep and we cleared up the bracket situation. I do NOT need the pods but he says it improves the sound a little. The modification using the brackets is they might (will) require me to drill new screw holes to match the different pattern of the speaker. He also suggested a kit with connectors, wire and tape and reduced the price on that from 15 to 5 bucks. Looks like a good kit so I don't have to scrounge thru my spare parts. The sub will require modification of the console. As I have read about that before I'm up to that challenge and can refer back to this forum if I need to. Good experience dealing with them so far. First time using them but if all goes well I will use them again. Speakers in my 2004 pickup are starting to go.

This forum has loads of help so once you get all the equipment, if you need any help, just look it up right here. This forum is the best car forum I have been a part of!

To get bass in a bucket like a TJ you will need a powered Sub. The physics of bass and the location/size of the stock speaker positions limit what can be done there. The center console sub can be upgraded to give a little thump with a new amp but if you want real bass then you need a larger sub and a place where you can put it.

To get bass in a bucket like a TJ you will need a powered Sub. The physics of bass and the location/size of the stock speaker positions limit what can be done there. The center console sub can be upgraded to give a little thump with a new amp but if you want real bass then you need a larger sub and a place where you can put it.

Hey Rooscooter - How is your setup going?

One like me always wants more and more...I put an 8" in the center console and a dual 10" box in the back, it has quick disconnects for when I need the space, which is every Saturday going to the dump.