Spring Rate Effect On Ride Quality

@Chris maybe you can create a software routine that looks for 'spring rate affects ride quality' and various iterations of that and trap it out like it does spammers. :ROFLMAO:
I'm enjoying this conversation and am learning isn't that the entire premise of a forum? I know you will say "do a search" and maybe that would be beneficial..

I'm enjoying this conversation and am learning isn't that the entire premise of a forum? I know you will say "do a search" and maybe that would be beneficial..
I don't know that I have ever said 'do a search' when I can answer the question.

but yet you have added nothing of value to this particular conversation
For the most part this whole thread had nothing of value. The fact remains, choosing a spring for a TJ based on ride quality is a moot point. I get the popcorn out every time this comes up.
I learned this lesson years ago when I built linked suspension on my Samurai. We used coil over springs. I think in the 175# weight. The thing was terrible on road. Others suggested heavier springs. So I bought and installed either 200# or 250#. There was no perceivable improvement in body roll or ride. I was only able to help with shocks.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
For the most part this whole thread had nothing of value. The fact remains, choosing a spring for a TJ based on ride quality is a moot point. I get the popcorn out every time this comes up.
I learned this lesson years ago when I built linked suspension on my Samurai. We used coil over springs. I think in the 175# weight. The thing was terrible on road. Others suggested heavier springs. So I bought and installed either 200# or 250#. There was no perceivable improvement in body roll or ride. I was only able to help with shocks.
You might think that this thread has nothing of value. Also, many more knowledgeable Jeepers than me might feel like some things are repeated over and over again, BUT don't forget some people are young, new to this world and enjoy learning.

I, personally, learned some things by this thread (believe it or not). Also, I value the fact that I can back my every decision building my TJ with facts (learned mostly by the most experienced ones of this forum), and not just by following instructions.

OME makes a variety of spring rates. To be fair there isn't a lot of difference between them, but they have different springs for geared up rigs vs bone stock.

I got the HD springs, for heavy rigs, because of my planned mods. But for now my TJ is stock. The ride is rough, unless I put a bunch of extra weight in it. It's still a TJ, but the added weight calms the suspension down a lot. Once I put armor, aftermarket bumpers, winch, and 33s with a full size spare it will be fine.

Shocks are Rancho RS-5000X. Adequate is probably the best way to describe them.

For the OP, yes, on other cars spring rates are very much taken into account depending on what kind of ride you want. For sport cars especially there is a wide range of springs available.

Reactions: TJim