Spring Rate Effect On Ride Quality

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey everyone!

I've read in many threads that springs are there to set your ride height. Shocks, and tire pressure are responsible for your ride quality!

I would like to discuss how much a different spring rate would affect ride quality though.

Theoretically, wouldn't a spring with higher spring rate/ less length would give different ride characteristics than a spring with less spring rate /more length?

The fact that they would be compressed in different rates in the same bumps etc. doesn't mean that there will be a difference in ride quality?

*Of course, the same shocks will be used in both scenarios.
** I know shocks will affect the ride quality more.

Hey everyone!

I've read in many threads that springs are there to set your ride height. Shocks, and tire pressure are responsible for your ride quality!

I would like to discuss how much a different spring rate would affect ride quality though.

Theoretically, wouldn't a spring with higher spring rate/ less length would give different ride characteristics than a spring with less spring rate /more length?

The fact that they would be compressed in different rates in the same bumps etc. doesn't mean that there will be a difference in ride quality?

*Of course, the same shocks will be used in both scenarios.
** I know shocks will affect the ride quality more.

You have read the threads. Why do you think this one will go any differently?

You have read the threads. Why do you think this one will go any differently?
I am not sure. The more I think about it the more sense my thinking does IN MY MIND.

I would like to start a conversation so anyone who doesnt know a lot about springs/suspension (like me) can understand some things better with the help of the more experienced ones.

Plus, I am an over-thinker so knowing why something happens is more valuable to me that just facts.

Reactions: SSTJ
I am not sure. The more I think about it the more sense my thinking does IN MY MIND.

I would like to start a conversation so anyone who doesnt know a lot about springs/suspension (like me) can understand some things better with the help of the more experienced ones.

Plus, I am an over-thinker so knowing why something happens is more valuable to me that just facts.
The bottom line is that there is not a single available spring made for the TJ that will have any appreciable affect on the ride quality.

Shock valving will dramatically overshadow any insignificant difference someone might find in springs.

Anyone who believes otherwise needs to explain why a shock tuner does not ask about the spring rate when tuning shocks.

Reactions: Chris and rasband
The bottom line is that there is not a single available spring made for the TJ that will have any appreciable affect on the ride quality.

Shock valving will dramatically overshadow any insignificant difference someone might find in springs.

Anyone who believes otherwise needs to explain why a shock tuner does not ask about the spring rate when tuning shocks.
Exactly. Tim please don't be an over-thinker on this.
Cool. I get it.

But I guess for a different vehicle spring rate is a factor too?

BTW, have already installed my new springs. I didn’t start this thread so I can pick which springs to get.

Spring rates aren’t going to affect your ride quality on a TJ whatsoever. On a track car, sure, but you can and should forget about spring rate and ride quality when it comes to a TJ. Focus on shocks or ride quality is a concern.

Reactions: TJim
Cool. I get it.

BTW, have already installed my new springs. I didn’t start this thread so I can pick which springs to get.
You need to limit your comparisons to TJ like vehicles with no less than stock TJ amounts of suspension travel.

Reactions: D M and TJim
Let's summarize all the past discussions:

The gist is that of springs made for a TJ, the difference in rates is not substantial enough to meaningfully impact the ride quality. In the case they made some dump truck springs and cut them down, then yeah - you'd notice something. That is to say: springs can have an impact, but for what's actually available it's not enough to really matter.

Focus on the shocks that can be tailored toward your ride.

Then the conversation degrades into a shit show.

Fair! I get your points. My bad for starting this thread!

Something more: Whats the point of a progressive spring?
is there any reason to pick one for a TJ, since they usually are a more expensive choice?

Also, what makes a spring good or bad? Quality of materials, longevity etc?

Let's summarize all the past discussions:

The gist is that of springs made for a TJ, the difference in rates is not substantial enough to meaningfully impact the ride quality. In the case they made some dump truck springs and cut them down, then yeah - you'd notice something. That is to say: springs can have an impact, but for what's actually available it's not enough to really matter.

Focus on the shocks that can be tailored toward your ride.

Then the conversation degrades into a shit show.
Looking at the shock and spring spreadsheet, theres only ~100# difference in available front springs. There are people who have ass dynos finely tuned enough to notice that

• Haha
Reactions: RMETeeJay
Cool. I get it.

Where the waters get muddied past any point of identifiable clarity is the basic principle of the spring's rate as a percentage of the car's weight. If you take a 2500 lb track car with 2" of suspension travel and change the rate from 200 lbs per inch to 300 lbs per inch, you have a substantial increase in percentage of the vehicle weight while being constrained in a very narrow ride height window.

That is 4 percent of the car weight with a 50% increase in rate. You simply can't do that with off the shelf TJ springs. The front rates are all going to be within a few points of each other as will the back for the same ride height.

Even if you get carried away and go from 130 to 230 lb per inch springs on the front, which would be very hard to do, that is just a little over 2% of the vehicle weight. Closer would be a 1% change and you just aren't going to notice.
Don't lie.

is there any reason to pick one for a TJ, since they usually are a more expensive choice?

Most if not all aftermarket springs are progressively wound, not progressive rate. There is a difference. Progressive wound just means that a section is closer together than the rest and will go solid before the rest of the spring.

All you care about is the ride height, followed by the free length of you are going to start messing around with moving the the shock mounts to fit longer shocks.

I've not seen a progressive rate aftermarket spring yet, I see lots of progressively wound, no progressive rates. If someone knows of one, I'd like to see the dyno chart since I do not and will not trust the company to describe them correctly.

I've not seen a progressive rate aftermarket spring yet, I see lots of progressively wound, no progressive rates. If someone knows of one, I'd like to see the dyno chart since I do not and will not trust the company to describe them correctly.
Totally agree. But what I can't figure out is what advantage progressively wound springs offer? I can't write it off as completely a gimic because the new JLs and JTs have progressively wound springs, and the engineers wouldn't waste the effort for no reason.