Steering wheel shake

Mgrizwald42

So I have a shake in the wheel of my 2000 Tj and have no clue what the issue is I replaced bushings, tie rods power steering pump and steering damper so kinda stuck at this point lmk what you think

is it a progressive shake getting stronger the faster you go or a speed dependant shake like only between certain speeds? have you tried putting the front tires on the rear and transferred the rears to the front? when was the last time the tires were balanced? just asking because im sure others might have a better idea with a little more detail.

i did a lot of replacement parts trying to track down a front end shake and steering wheel shake within a speed range of 50ish to 58ish mph. ultimately i believe it went away when i dropped my tire psi from 31 to 26. not entirely sure but that was the last thing i did and i ridded the shakes.

That can be a wide variety of issues for any 4 wheeler. Start with the basics by checking and testing all the steering components and ball joints. Even wheel bearings. All you need for that is a jack, a pry bar and two good arms. From there, tire check for balance and integrity. More info is required. Shake when braking? At what speed? While turning & or driving straight? Etc. Still no reason not to start with the basics. Did you align it after changing the tie rods?

Reactions: Mgrizwald42
is it a progressive shake getting stronger the faster you go or a speed dependant shake like only between certain speeds? have you tried putting the front tires on the rear and transferred the rears to the front? when was the last time the tires were balanced? just asking because im sure others might have a better idea with a little more detail.

i did a lot of replacement parts trying to track down a front end shake and steering wheel shake within a speed range of 50ish to 58ish mph. ultimately i believe it went away when i dropped my tire psi from 31 to 26. not entirely sure but that was the last thing i did and i ridded the shakes.
It’s not either of those it’s only when I would hit a bad bump or take a left turn when I’d hit a bump it would keep going till I went down to like 5 mph then on lefts the wheel shakes back and forth but will then stop after the turn, I believe the problem is a U-joint in my front passenger side tire dropped it off at the mechanic today hopefully that’s the issue and they fix it fairly fast thanks for the reply tho it’s appreciated

That can be a wide variety of issues for any 4 wheeler. Start with the basics by checking and testing all the steering components and ball joints. Even wheel bearings. All you need for that is a jack, a pry bar and two good arms. From there, tire check for balance and integrity. More info is required. Shake when braking? At what speed? While turning & or driving straight? Etc. Still no reason not to start with the basics. Did you align it after changing the tie rods?
Thanks for the reply I’ve brought it to a mechanic today and I believe it’s a U-joint on the front passenger side my father had the same issue with his truck and that’s what we believe it is

You need to dry test the steering and watch the track bar .

The u joint is certainly a potential problem as well, they will usually pop.