Steinjager transfer case cable shifter adjustment

luby

Hello. I've installed this cable shifter because my OEM linkage was badly rusted.
But it did not come with instructions and the YouTube videos weren't all that helful.
Before removing old linkage I made sure transfer case was in 2H then installed cable shifter.
Then test drive....I start out in 2H works okay....then shift to 4H seems to be okay not sure though.
Then shift back to 2H...but doesn't actually go back to 2H til I've traveled about 50 yards....
and then I hear a loud clunk....then it feels like it's actually back in 2H.

I am thinking the cable needs adjustment somehow but not sure which way to adjust.
Is there a way that I can verify all shift positions before I drive again????
Am afraid will do damage if I try to drive more.

It needs adjusting, and it’s not hard, just fine time consuming. Play around with it and you’ll figure it out pretty easily, I promise.

Pretty much all work the same way. Any cable shifter vid will help you get the adjustment right. Try Savvy. I'm pretty sure they designed the original and all the knockoffs are the same.

Thats how my 231 operated the entire time i owned it on dry pavement.

Pretty much all work the same way. Any cable shifter vid will help you get the adjustment right. Try Savvy. I'm pretty sure they designed the original and all the knockoffs are the same.
Thanks! I will try to find savvy instructions

It needs adjusting, and it’s not hard, just fine time consuming. Play around with it and you’ll figure it out pretty easily, I promise.
Yep. I'll most likely tinker with it til it works or I break it. Lol Thanks for reply!

Reactions: Chris
If i was driving and shifted from 4hi to 2hi, it definitely took a little time for the mode hub to fully disengage and i usually heard a slight clunk. If i was offroad it was never a problem.

Try adjusting it in 4L and see how it goes.
Yes I would much like to try adjust in 4L. But don't know how to determine
when I am actually in 4L. That's the problem for me. I've never actually used 4L so I don't know how it should behave. Can you tell me how to verify that I am in 4L?

NP231 I presume (non-rubicon)?

image.png

image.png

Reactions: The shuggs
Yes I would much like to try adjust in 4L. But don't know how to determine
when I am actually in 4L. That's the problem for me. I've never actually used 4L so I don't know how it should behave. Can you tell me how to verify that I am in 4L?
Drive slowly on a gravel road, after shifting into 4L, your RPMs will be a lot higher.

That brand usually isn’t on the top list here, but I’ve never installed, savvy and one other are more common

Hello. I've installed this cable shifter because my OEM linkage was badly rusted.
But it did not come with instructions and the YouTube videos weren't all that helful.
Before removing old linkage I made sure transfer case was in 2H then installed cable shifter.
Then test drive....I start out in 2H works okay....then shift to 4H seems to be okay not sure though.
Then shift back to 2H...but doesn't actually go back to 2H til I've traveled about 50 yards....
and then I hear a loud clunk....then it feels like it's actually back in 2H.

I am thinking the cable needs adjustment somehow but not sure which way to adjust.
Is there a way that I can verify all shift positions before I drive again????
Am afraid will do damage if I try to drive more.
You need to have someone move the t-case shifter while you watch that pile of poo from underneath. Once you see how much it flexes and moves around, you'll remove it and get a real cable shifter.

I'm not too familiar with the brand, but I wouldn't worry about it. Design wise there isn't much difference between the different cable shifters out there.
Huge difference. They didn't cut costs on that thing by being efficient, they cut cost by not making it a sound design with proper bracing.