Still buying Chinese products?

Or when American cars were garbage until they weren't.
Sorry, but I think this is backwards !!! American cars were GREAT until they weren't...........
Now they are cheap garbage & just don't compare to the solid quality of the 60's & 70's unless you want a pick up truck sorry !!!

they were looking a buying the abrams main battle tank or the leopard main battle tank (British).
After many months of testing both tanks. They decided to just build their own. Funny enough, their tank looks like a mix of the abrams and leopard.

Shocker. Here's the F-35 next to the J-20. Looks like they lopped off the forward fuselage of the 35 and mounted it right up. Kidding they didn't do that, there was a massive contractor data breach in the mid 2000's so they probably got all the original blueprints.

1586388860671.png

..... but there is a huge, night & day quality difference from made in Japan vs made in China !!!!

This is one of my faves. It's a crash test of a Geely, something that looks to have the front end of a C-class and the ass end of a Civic. It scored a zero. I'm not even mad, that's impressive.

Most USA products for TJs are excellent, high end, quality fabricated items. But way too many guys want shittybilt parts for half price.

Currie, AEV, Savvy, .... lots of great choices. At some point marketing became more important than engineering and we all fell for it.

Of course lots of these high end parts are still built in Asia, but Currie, AEV and Savvy pay for higher quality.

Last edited:
I just ordered these this morning and they're made in the good ol' US of A! Been wanting some for a while, but I finally found some in bare aluminum which is hard to find for some reason.
American-Trail-Products-ATP-Front-Billet-Aluminum-Grab-Handles-Black-YJ-TJ-LJ-36870001K-Main.jpg

I try not to buy Chinese products because they are substandard for the most part. Been doing this long before this damn virus hit us.
The reason for so many substandard Chinese products is the folks who have them build stuff are picking price point, not quality. The most often noted comment by the folks in China for the US market is why we don't want them to build the good stuff. They can and do build to any quality level you are willing to pay for. We just don't want to pay for it.

That is a great reason to avoid anything. The whole substandard discussion reminds me of Japanese cars, they were garbage until they weren't.
Yep, lots of stuff from Japan was crap until it wasn't. They used the be the standard for cheap crap. Then almost overnight they became the standard for high quality stuff.

Sorry, but I think this is backwards !!! American cars were GREAT until they weren't...........
Now they are cheap garbage & just don't compare to the solid quality of the 60's & 70's unless you want a pick up truck sorry !!!
Always easy to spot the "more metal, and thicker metal is better" guy.

• Haha
Reactions: billiebob
15 years ago, Wal Mart wanted Dewalt products for Fathers Day. Dewalt said $80 each, Wal Mart said we want a SeaCan for every store, we'll pay $60. Dewalt traded some internal steel parts for plastic and filled the order. That was when Dewalt added a digit to the part number. A DW2403 ?? also came as a DW99025 ??
You get what you pay for.

Reactions: Phil Younger
Yep, lots of stuff from Japan was crap until it wasn't. They used the be the standard for cheap crap. Then almost overnight they became the standard for high quality stuff.

You can give a lot of credit to Edward Deming for teaching the Japanese the importance of quality. He tried to teach this concept to a lot of US manufacturers, but there wasn't much interest.

After we started loosing market share, Malcom Baldridge started teaching quality concepts to US companies. Unfortunately, some companies were so obsessed with tracking their quality scores, they lost focus on making a product that people actually wanted.

Now ISO 14001 seems to be the buzz word, although it is more environmentally focused.

Reactions: L J
You can give a lot of credit to Edward Deming for teaching the Japanese the importance of quality. He tried to teach this concept to a lot of US manufacturers, but there wasn't much interest. . . .

I remember Edward Deming. I haven't thought of him for decades.

I was fortunate to be a participant in a seminar where he spoke, sometime in the early 1970's. He was more interesting than the others on the panel as I recall. Unfortunately it was the 1970's and I don't recall much else.

Reactions: Blondie70
The reason for so many substandard Chinese products is the folks who have them build stuff are picking price point, not quality. The most often noted comment by the folks in China for the US market is why we don't want them to build the good stuff. They can and do build to any quality level you are willing to pay for. We just don't want to pay for it.
It’s hard to believe that, when they are still unable to make the bic pen. As simple of a device it may seem. The tip has very tight tolerances that the Chinese have been unable to copy.

Reactions: Blondie70
It’s hard to believe that, when they are still unable to make the bic pen. As simple of a device it may seem. The tip has very tight tolerances that the Chinese have been unable to copy.
What are the tolerances required to put folks in space?

While I prefer to buy American, I'm not opposed to buying foreign. There are SEVERAL problems with buying Chinese products.

1. The CCP is arguably the worst human rights violator in the entire world.
2. China artificially holds down the value of there currency to make Chinese products cheaper
3. The CCP has given certain industries in China tons of money in order to destroy other countries industries (wheels, electronics, steel production)
4. Intellectual property theft as others have mentoned

When you buy Chinese you vote with your dollars for more economic warfare. Buy foreign if you want, but don't buy Chinese products if you don't have to. I know this is not possible for many things, but it is for more than you think.