Stroker vs re-gear

As stated, both are very different modifications and neither one solves the problem the other solves. One more strongly drives the load, the other lessens the load. Combined, both could be fantastic.

Use an exaggerated example to think about it: two different sized people using different tools to remove lug nuts. Take a heavy dude with lots of strength and give him a 12” ratchet. Then give a medium guy with medium strength a 24” breaker bar. Hell, give a kid the breaker bar….the breaker bar will be more successful. Despite the guy with the ratchet being large and having lots of strength, he is going to work really hard to break those lugs loose. The breaker bar operator will barely exert any effort.

Now, imagine giving the strong guy the breaker bar….overall better situation.

All that said, gearing is more important. With gearing, you may decide you’re happy enough that you don’t want more power. When you go with more power, you will likely still want more gearing. Or, you may want both.

If you do think you’ll want both, you may adjust the gearing choice a bit, say by choosing 4.10 over 4.56, or whatever. That can be fine, but can also be a poor choice. If for some reason the stroker doesn’t pan out, then you may have paid a bunch of money for the wrong ratio. I’d gear for the 4.0 and then let the stroker just be icing on the cake if you do it. The stroker will still work well at any rpm the 4.0 works well at.

Reactions: Woodrow and wv_kid
Yep,bench racing can be fun

For 32s I'd run 3.73 axles from marketplace or craigslist. 4.10 would let you grow to 33s though and have an optimum ratio for the 32rh.

yeah i don't think i would mind being a little overgeared. driving a TJ is like driving a frickin' roller skate so I ain't ripping down the freeway for sure!!!

i did learn a little here, hadn't thought about the crawl speed much and also thought it was great to see those dyno charts and hear experiences with a stroker.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Woodrow and Rickyd
Ah well - thanks to those of you that chose to be helpful. I always like to play devil's advocate, helps flush out the good info from the BS. You can tell when someone knows their stuff, they respond in a calm manner and provide a rational technical explanation for their position. The dyno charts were especially useful.

Lol. You obviously have no idea who mrblaine is or his knowledge base. And you weren’t playing devils advocate you were being combative. If you wanted to play devils advocate your words would have been phrased differently.

And that kids, is a classic example of overthinking! Class dismissed.

Really though... OP didn't really come here to learn anything... just to peacock his 'knowledge' and debate. It did make for a fun, though mildly uncomfortable, read though!

Reactions: MikekiM