Forty

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I think the only option I have left to get rid of driveline vibration is a SS SYE. With a 4" lift and the Savvy under armor tummy tuck I am out of room for adjustments. I was looking at the JB, anyone had luck, no luck, etc. ?

Personally, I would only go with a super-short SYE if I had an extremely tall lift. For most lifts, and I have had up to 5.5" of lift when I had my previous RE lift, a standard SYE works fine. Why go with a standard SYE over a SS SYE? Because a standard SYE still uses the speedometer gear housing and speedometer gears so you don't have to also purchase and install an electronic speedometer calibrator.

So far as a good source for a SYE and CV driveshaft goes, I have been trusting Tom Wood at www.4xshaft.com for 15+ years now. He carries good quality SYE and CV driveshaft kits, and his pre and post sales support is unsurpassed. Plus Tom is just a super nice guy, I finally had the chance to meet him several years ago at a 4x4 show. If you call them, ask for Tom personally and tell them I sent you directly to Tom. :)

Last edited:
Personally, I would only go with a super-short SYE if I had an extremely tall lift. For most lifts, and I have had up to 5.5" of lift when I had my previous RE lift, a standard SYE works fine. Why go with a standard SYE over a SS SYE? Because a standard SYE still uses the speedometer gear housing and speedometer gears so you don't have to also purchase and install an electronic speedometer calibrator.

Personally, I have been trusting Tom Wood at www.4xshaft.com for about 15 years now. He carries good quality SYE and CV driveshaft kits, and his pre and post sales support is unsurpassed. Plus Tom is just a super nice guy, I finally had the chance to meet him several years ago at a 4x4 show. If you call them, ask for Tom personally and tell them I sent you directly to Tom. :)
I do have a Tom Woods DS. But between the Savvy under armor and gas tank skid plate my DS angle is still too much. I talked to the guys at Tom Woods and my trans guy and they both agree on way too much angle for my set up. Every thinks I'm crazy because it's a 4" lift and am still having vibration issues with all the right parts but I do.
At this point my options are get rid of the Savvy UA, get rid of the gas tank skid, get a shorter lift, or explore other components such as the super short SYE to give me more room for adjustments.

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

With all that I'd go for a SSSYE and replace your existing straight trackbar relocation bracket with an angled track bar relocation bracket. Look at the minimal clearance you have between the gas tank and track bar bracket, replacing it with an angled bracket will increase its clearance.

It's a JKS adjustable track bar and does have the bend in it. The guys at Savvy did recommend the angled track bar mount and the SSSYE. I was going to see if I could also get different mounting brackets for the gas tank so I could push it back a little further.

IMG_0654.JPG

@Kevin E runs one of these JB super short SYEs and has said he's never had an issue with it.

I'll wait for him to chime in.

Reactions: Forty
@Kevin E runs one of these JB super short SYEs and has said he's never had an issue with it.

I'll wait for him to chime in.
Yes a very good sye. The speedometer isn't an issue either. JB sssye uses a speed sensor that plugs into your existing wiring and a tone ring behind the yoke. It is only off 2 MPH with 33s. I researched a lot before buying this one but after looking at all it offers I thought it was a good fit. I have a 4 inch suspension lift btw. Smoooth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forty and Chris
Yes a very good sye. The speedometer isn't an issue either. JB sssye uses a speed sensor that plugs into your existing wiring and a tone ring behind the yoke. It is only off 2 MPH with 33s. I researched a lot before buying this one but after looking at all it offers I thought it was a good fit. I have a 4 inch suspension lift btw. Smoooth. You might have other issues other than
Other issues other than what?
I tried calling them today to ask about the speedo but they are only ther Monday-Thursday. I'm hoping a sssye, different track bar mount and seeing if I can get my gas tank back any further will give them room I need. The JB looks solid as ever too. Thanks for chiming in!

Other issues other than what?
I tried calling them today to ask about the speedo but they are only ther Monday-Thursday. I'm hoping a sssye, different track bar mount and seeing if I can get my gas tank back any further will give them room I need. The JB looks solid as ever too. Thanks for chiming in!
Sorry about that thought I deleted that.

Sorry about that thought I deleted that.
Hahaha I get it. So did you go sssye because of similar issues I'm having or just to try it out?

If it doesn't work for me it's either get rid of the skid which I really don't want to or go to 3" springs and shocks.... which I also don't really want to lol

Hahaha I get it. So did you go sssye because of similar issues I'm having or just to try it out?

If it doesn't work for me it's either get rid of the skid which I really don't want to or go to 3" springs and shocks.... which I also don't really want to lol
Most of my vibrations were tire related. When I bought my Jeep it had a transfer case drop with stock driveline. I thought why not get the shortest sye to have as long as driveshaft as possible. Now my skid is where it belongs. so far so good with ride quality. I do have the JKS rear adjustable trackbar and angled bracket. If you get your parts and gas tank situated you should be good.

Last edited:
Most of my vibrations were tire related. When I bought my Jeep it had a transfer case drop with stock driveline. I thought why not get the shortest sye to have as long as driveshaft as possible. Now my skid is where it belongs a day so far so good with ride quality. I do have the JKS rear adjustable trackbar and angled bracket. If you get your parts and gas tank situated you should be good.
I sure as heck hope so. If it doesn't I'm going to see if I can find someone to fab the frame brackets for the Savvy crossmember. If it's not too expensive I'll go that route and then space the skid plate as needed.

Ive been looking into adding the SSSYE and double cardon drive shaft and adjustable rear upper control arms, because im working on having a Ford 8.8 installed into my 97 tj. I do have a 4" lift and 33s , but i have no drive line vibrations at the present time. i guess When ya change one thing it effects everything else.

08/05/21 Boy have things changed for me now. The Teraflex Extreme Short sye kit and Adams CV drive shaft and Savvy adjustable control arms and a ford 8.8 with Yukon super 88 kit and c clip eliminator kit with Chromoly axles and 4.88 gears and OX locker on 35 and a recent RH32 automatic transmission swap i have zero vibs. and i have a 4" suspensin and 1.25" body lift , and and also a savvy gas tank skid plate

Last edited:
So very true! Sounds like you're about to take on some serious stuff!? If you're not having any issues why not just get a normal sssye?
I have a felling most of my issues come from the under armor gas tank skid.

I just figured ( and for no other reason ) the longer the drive shaft the better. So ya got to ask yourself why an sye anyway, I guess the #1 reason is to be able to use a double cardon universal joint system. There are several advantages to a SYE, I just figure thats #1. I think the SS is even 3" shorter than the standard SYE. I have 33s on so I dont think the speed meter will be an issue. I talked to Tom Woods and one of his last statements was the quote, if you have no issues now, try your 8.8 swap with your current setup and see if you get vibrations. " if its not broken, dont fix it" Now this came after a long conversation about SYEs and types of drive shafts, and how the geometry works with angles and double cardon universal joints and how they offset each other and angles of pinions ....... So in my unprofessional, and average joe opinion, you are on the right track to eliminating your vibration. I guess there are so many things that can effect vibrations and ya just have to go through them one at a time.

I do have a Tom Woods DS. But between the Savvy under armor and gas tank skid plate my DS angle is still too much. I talked to the guys at Tom Woods and my trans guy and they both agree on way too much angle for my set up. Every thinks I'm crazy because it's a 4" lift and am still having vibration issues with all the right parts but I do.
At this point my options are get rid of the Savvy UA, get rid of the gas tank skid, get a shorter lift, or explore other components such as the super short SYE to give me more room for adjustments.
I don't believe the 4" lift number is accurate. Could be, but I doubt it.

Get me a dimension from the bottom of the front spring on the driver's side front to the bottom of the isolator. 4" of lift puts that number right at 16".

Get the angled trackbar mount before you move anything. It makes a big difference. No need to move the tank at all. Simply drop the trackbar and add some forward bend to it where it rubs. I just did a JKS bar a couple of days ago that was set up the same way as yours. The bend over the exhaust was hitting on full stuff, we added some bend past it so when the axle was all the way up, the bend over the exhaust didn't go up as high. It was hitting on the crossmember where the bolts are for the gas tank skid. We added some bend and moved that section of the bar forward and then bent it back closer to the mount. The main reason the Currie bar clears as well as it does is I bent one up and sent it over to them to help with the design.

So very true! Sounds like you're about to take on some serious stuff!? If you're not having any issues why not just get a normal sssye?
I have a felling most of my issues come from the under armor gas tank skid.
No, your issues are from combining a lot of things and not making sure ahead of time that they all work together. I designed the Under Armor around the Currie Trackbar, angled mount and the GST is the same. That and there is always a limitation on lift height when it comes to drive shaft angle.

I don't believe the 4" lift number is accurate. Could be, but I doubt it.

Get me a dimension from the bottom of the front spring on the driver's side front to the bottom of the isolator. 4" of lift puts that number right at 16".

Get the angled trackbar mount before you move anything. It makes a big difference. No need to move the tank at all. Simply drop the trackbar and add some forward bend to it where it rubs. I just did a JKS bar a couple of days ago that was set up the same way as yours. The bend over the exhaust was hitting on full stuff, we added some bend past it so when the axle was all the way up, the bend over the exhaust didn't go up as high. It was hitting on the crossmember where the bolts are for the gas tank skid. We added some bend and moved that section of the bar forward and then bent it back closer to the mount. The main reason the Currie bar clears as well as it does is I bent one up and sent it over to them to help with the design.
How did you bend it? And yes I am absolutely going to try just the track bar mount before moving into any other options. Mostly the problem is I bought this jeep with everything that's currently on it, therefore I am the new engineer to someone else's re-engineered cluster F lol.
In all honesty I have no problems wrenching and can pretty much figure out most things, but brand-new to the jeep world, driveline angles, skid plates, track bars, etc.
I ordered the JKS angle track bar mount and it should be in this week. Do you mind if I reference you for what I got going on?