t

that looks as close to the AEV look as you can get...love that...although I guess you would have to run rockrails on the body to cover the gap in the front fender...mmm interesting
It’s pretty awesome - 3” of additional tire uptravel/clearance with a factory look. I have genright sliders that go full width so when I do it, should be pretty clean

• Love
Reactions: YourWorstEnemy
This really is a nice build. I'm going to have to dig into understanding the Dana 50 front axle a little more. Because it sits between a 44 and 60, is the limit for tires 37 - 38"?

This really is a nice build. I'm going to have to dig into understanding the Dana 50 front axle a little more. Because it sits between a 44 and 60, is the limit for tires 37 - 38"?
That's what I am thinking 37-38s...I would go 60 if I was building for 40s but I like the way it sits with 37s or 38s....40s would be a bit much unless I chopped it up...the Dana 50 is unique yeah its heavy but its interesting :p...It has a Dana 44 pinion shaft size (only con to me but the 5.38 gearing takes as much strain off that shaft as possible), a 9 inch ring gear (Dana 44 is 8.5), 30 spline shafts that have a neck down to dana 44 size at the differential but are Dana 60 size to the stubs, Dana 60 Ujoints and stub shafts, massive Dana 60 C's and knuckles and balljoints...there are some rare write ups (pirate?) on the added strength in the shaft over a Dana 44 shaft the way the torque is transferred through the neck down section...its good reading...I like the fact it can be shaved quite a bit as well which has helped a lot...they are cheap as well which is nice...fun to be unique and the artec brackets work on these as well

Reactions: Irun
Link to Chris Durham hoods as well...they have a nice look too...

https://cdmracing.com/tj-rockcrawler-hood-standard-width/
1582738018202.png

I like the fact it can be shaved quite a bit as well which has helped a lot...they are cheap as well which is nice...fun to be unique and the artec brackets work on these as well

Since I've decided not to sell my LJ, I'm starting to think about the next evolution of it. This would involve moving to 37" tires. I honestly don't ever see myself going beyond a 37" or 38" tire. If I did, I'd just consider a buggy of some sort. The fact that you can shave a 50 significantly means ground clearance at the differential can be maintained. However, since I'm just digging into this, I need to get smarter on what the options are.

At this point I'm considering:
- JK Dana 44 (only considering this one up to a max 37" tire)
- Dynatrac ProRock 44/60 Hybrid
- Dana 50
- Dana 60

I'll likely end up putting together a spreadsheet outlining cost, as well as pros and cons. Also, my preference is to keep my current 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Reactions: Ephry73
Since I've decided not to sell my LJ, I'm starting to think about the next evolution of it. This would involve moving to 37" tires. I honestly don't ever see myself going beyond a 37" or 38" tire. If I did, I'd just consider a buggy of some sort. The fact that you can shave a 50 significantly means ground clearance at the differential can be maintained. However, since I'm just digging into this, I need to get smarter on what the options are.

At this point I'm considering:
- JK Dana 44 (only considering this one up to a max 37" tire)
- Dynatrac ProRock 44/60 Hybrid
- Dana 50
- Dana 60

I'll likely end up putting together a spreadsheet outlining cost, as well as pros and cons. Also, my preference is to keep my current 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, but I'm not sure if that's possible.
Yep if you want to keep your 5 on 5 and cost is not an issue the 44/60 or ProRock 44 etc. would be perfect for 37s no issues...if you don't mind the 69.25 inch width and getting some high backspacing wheels and want to save 50% go with a shaved 50 and you get the strength of a built 44 (little stronger with the 9 inch ring gear) with the balljoint longevity of a Dana 60...also the outer shaft diameter and ujoint where most guys break is Dana 60 beef...your Jeep will be incredible with whatever you choose...I love your build..classic

As I hate drilling into my body I went with some beefy sliders from White Knuckle Off Road...and yes I am removing the huge white sticker hah. Also got the limiting straps installed. I had to slightly modify the sliders mounting plates due to the skid being in the way on one section. Welded all the way down...I like the way it turned out subtle but will protect the jeep when needed...

A1D6E269-8151-4397-BA75-AE84CC5C88C1.JPEG

Looking into some inner beadlocks...any experience? If I do not do inner beadlocks I will go with some Hutchison or Trail creepers....really like my current wheels though and want to save some $$