Suspension help: Clunking noise and shifting feeling

BlackHawkTJ

Not quite sure where the noise is coming from, while taking corners sometimes there will be a clunk noise, also feels as if the Jeep shifts a bit to the side through the corner, that’s about the best I can describe what I am feeling. I know the U-Joint on the front driver side is bad, could this be causing the issue? Should I replace all the U-Joints and ball joints. New to this Jeep game as I’ve said before so any help is appreciated.

I would most definitely replace known bad parts before ordering anything else unless you find something that's demonstrably worn out/defective. You can chase your tail forever trying to "guess" what else might be wrong when there is a known bad part causing issues.

Reactions: BlackHawkTJ
Have you gotten under it to check all the common bolt points? Front shocks top and bottom, rear shocks top and bottom, front and rear track bars (frame and axle side), Control Arms, sway bars (or equivalent)?

The Ball Joints should be an easy check (lookup some YouTube videos on that process)

This is my first thought as well.

X3. Thats where most of my clunks have come from. Though, if you do know you have a bad ujoint get it replaced asap. A ujoint that seizes can wreak havoc on other parts (ball joints). If you dont know the history and your miles are high, replacing the hubs and ball joints make sense while you have everything apart already to replace the ujoints.

Reactions: Chris
Traced the clunk to the rear control arms, going to be replacing all.

Anyone have recommendations? Just need a solid product. Not going to be any serious off-roading. Not much of it to do down here in SWFL.

Traced the clunk to the rear control arms, going to be replacing all.

Anyone have recommendations? Just need a solid product. Not going to be any serious off-roading. Not much of it to do down here in SWFL.

If they’re rear uppers I can send you my OEM ones I just pulled off, they have 6k miles over one year on them and the bushings look solid.

I'm curious how your control arm replacement went. I've got to get mine swapped out and I'm dreading it. Sounds like a real bear.
Haven’t tackled it yet, not a lot of time for the build lately. Parts are in. Just have to find time to install them. From what I have read and watched online it’s pretty straight forward for the lower arms but the uppers seem to be a little more tricky. We’ll see how it goes.

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
Haven’t tackled it yet, not a lot of time for the build lately. Parts are in. Just have to find time to install them. From what I have read and watched online it’s pretty straight forward for the lower arms but the uppers seem to be a little more tricky. We’ll see how it goes.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I started mine this past weekend. The rear CA went smooth but the Front cam bolts are seized and need to be cut out. Seems pretty much standard. I had to order the bolts before I can move forward. Hope yours goes easier.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I started mine this past weekend. The rear CA went smooth but the Front cam bolts are seized and need to be cut out. Seems pretty much standard. I had to order the bolts before I can move forward. Hope yours goes easier.
I fear it will be the same. But I’ve only had an issue with one bolt so far on the project so maybe I’ll get lucky

Reactions: Don Ashcraft