Suspension upgrade advice

TJK

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I'm looking to replace my suspension. I bought the jeep 2 years ago its a 97 (later year release) and pretty much stock. I don't think the suspension has ever been changed and it's in need of a refresh.

I've done some digging around and I'm thinking about going with the Rancho shocks and potentially installing H&R springs as well.

Currently the jeep has no lift. Last year I put on 30 inch BFG K02's (I wanted to go bigger but I have 3.07 gearing and a regear is not in the budget)

I'd like a minimal lift and the H&R springs look good for the 1 inch lift but I don't know if it will look off with the smaller 30 inch tires. I probably don't even need the lift since most of the driving I do is in the city and the occasional forest service road but it would be nice to have a little more than the stock height.

My questions are:
Does H&R make springs for stock height for the TJ? If not, which springs should I look at to replace the factory springs?
Should I go for the 1 inch lift? Will it look silly with 30 inch tires?
Would the Rancho shocks be the same length for the stock height and the 1 inch lift or are they different parts?

A body lift helps clear the tires, yet allows you to buy cheaper (stock) off the shelf suspension and steering parts.
Can also be beneficial to future projects.
You can measure your springs to see if they're sagging.

Reactions: TJK
I have been lowering my tires more and more - currently running about 8 in the desert/rocks in the Phoenix area and I have been thinking about a small body lift - 1" or 1.25". It's a whole lot cheaper than moving up to a higher suspension lift, and I like the look of my 4" lift on 35s. Besides, I'm running the 3 speed auto with 4.56 gears, so i'ts kinda perfect IMHO. I just want to get a bit more clearance back. I asked my installer who has done a lot to my TJ and I trust him very much - his website, But I'm reading different in this forum.

He is suggesting a 1" lift and recommending the Daystar kit (he says its the most complete kit on the market) w/ Brown dog motor mounts.

Daystar kit

Brown dog

Looks like the daystar kit is a "special blend" poly and the brown dogs can be either poly or "ultra-flex" rubber.

Anyone have experience with these products - think of any pros/cons? It seems the consensus here is that the body lift should be aluminum and the motor mounts should be rubber because that is factory?

Thanks for any advice!!!!

Last edited:
Another question, on the Rancho website looking at the part it mentions "NON-STANDARD QUALIFIER: Slight Grinding of Lower Control Arm is Required"

What does this mean exactly?