Switching to a 4WD cable

TJW

1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I had the problem of the transfer case getting stuck in 4W High. The mechanic says the person (previous owner) should have installed a drop down bracket for the shifter to keep the linkage level. The mechanic tightened the linkage and it's working fine again, but he says eventually this will loosen up and get locked again. I noticed posts here that suggest getting a cable shifter is highly recommended. Before I order one, do I need to know any other specs like how much lift there was installed?

Thanks

The linkage shouldn't loosen up. if it works now it should be fine. If it does come loose again use thread locker. A body lift is the only thing that changes that linkage, a suspension lift wont do anything.

1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I had the problem of the transfer case getting stuck in 4W High. The mechanic says the person (previous owner) should have installed a drop down bracket for the shifter to keep the linkage level. The mechanic tightened the linkage and it's working fine again, but he says eventually this will loosen up and get locked again. I noticed posts here that suggest getting a cable shifter is highly recommended. Before I order one, do I need to know any other specs like how much lift there was installed?

Thanks
If you haven't already settled on on a cable kit, Savvy makes an excellent option.

Savvy Transfer Case Cable Shifter Kit for the 231 compatible with Wrangler TJ/LJ 1997-2006 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073L4L4R5/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Thanks Guys,
Looks like the cable shifter is a good solution ,, but it is currently unavailable from Amazon. I'll check some other sources here in Canada. I'll check out the shifter bracket too.

Reactions: SvtLdr
If you go with the cable shifter be sure and get the Savvy and not one of the copies made by Steinjager or other knockoff brands. Look closely and you will see the Savvy is a much better product.

If you go with the cable shifter be sure and get the Savvy and not one of the copies made by Steinjager or other knockoff brands. Look closely and you will see the Savvy is a much better product.
Technically, isn't Savvy a knock off of Novak... minus the minor alteration/improvement?

Reactions: TWiG01
Technically, isn't Savvy a knock off of Novak... minus the minor alteration/improvement?
Ha ha. I suppose that is true. It's too bad Novak didn't accept the design changes when they were offered to them.

I reread an old thread discussing the improvements. I did find it a little humorous that on top of the changes Savvy's other issue was Novak not keeping the product in stock and having longer delivery times.:unsure:

Ha ha. I suppose that is true. It's too bad Novak didn't accept the design changes when they were offered to them.

I reread an old thread discussing the improvements. I did find it a little humorous that on top of the changes Savvy's other issue was Novak not keeping the product in stock and having longer delivery times.:unsure:
Funny nuance..... when installing a savvy cable link.... most people reference the novak instructions.

Not cuz they are damn near identical...... but saavy couldn't be bothered to give any instructions! Lol.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

I'm under the impression that the 2 are not identical?

Just because something is cheaper doesn't mean it's inferior.
Who said anything about identical and quality? I posted prices and the definition of knockoff as listed in the dictionary and not my personal opinion on anything. You seemed critical of how @Sancho described it, I think it's okay, that's my opinion.