SYE Confusion: Super Short and Mega Short?

Glenn Hodges

I am looking to add a SYE and CV drive shaft to my 2000 TJ 4.0L manual (all stock with 2.5" lift). I'm a bit confused with the "short shaft" and "mega short shaft" options. What should I look for in a standard SYE and standard CV dive shaft?

With a 2.5" lift all you want is a standard SYE, not the short or mega short options.

Those super short SYEs are good for TJs that are lifted very high.

Let's say for instance I throw on a 4" suspension lift, then do a belly-up skid that raises my transfer case about 3". That's going to put your rear driveline and pinion angle at a total of about 7" of lift, which is going to cause for a very, very steep rear pinion angle. This can cause a lot of vibrations which can sometimes be very tricky to dial out.

With that super short SYE, it lessens the steep degree of the driveshaft angle, which is going to be much better if you're dealing with vibration issues.

At 2.5" of lift though, this isn't even a concern at all. Heck, even at 4" it's nothing I would be concerned about personally.

I would vote for a super short off the bat. Sure the regular SYE will work, but a longer driveshaft surely wont hurt anything if you ever decide to go taller in the future.

I started with an advanced adapters SYE and it did everything I needed it to do. Threw on a tummy tuck and I absolutely needed to go to a supershort.

Yes, I should have mentioned that a longer driveshaft certainly isn't going to hurt anything. However, if you go with the super short driveshaft, it eliminates something, but I can't remember what. @tworley surely (didn't mean to rhyme that) knows?

Great info and thanks for the quick response. I don't know exactly what's going on with the TJ, but after the lift, I dropped the pan/tcase (about 1.5") and got a "screaching" noise, likely coming from the clutch area. So I'm paranoid about dropping the pan and without dropping it I get vibration and some bucking in 1st gear, so SYE seems like the solution??? Expensive solution.

Fun fact. War-lee. Lots of people pronounce it whirly. It should read t-worley. Cause Im not creative enough to come up with a witty screen name.

The supershort removes the gear driven speedo for a tone ring and hall sensor. Easy fix with the blue monkey speedo healer

That's what it was! If you go super short, you need one of this (which IMHO is better anyways): HealTech SpeedoHealer

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I would vote for a super short off the bat. Sure the regular SYE will work, but a longer driveshaft surely wont hurt anything if you ever decide to go taller in the future.

I started with an advanced adapters SYE and it did everything I needed it to do. Threw on a tummy tuck and I absolutely needed to go to a supershort.

I agree. I just dropped my Jeep off at the shop to get a bunch of work done and one of the things that is getting changed is my Advanced Adapters SYE. I'm going to the JB SS SYE so I don't have issues with my TT. I'd recommend going for the super short even if it means you need to fiddle around with the speedo a bit by installing a blue monkey speedohealer.

OK, so help me out here. What I'm getting is that with a short shaft I will have more drive shaft and I get that. So will I need a longer drive shaft or will any CV shaft accommodate the longer length?

You need to get a custom shaft made either way so it doesn't matter which one you get. You can't just buy an off the shelf driveshaft. You need to provide a length to a driveshaft maker. They can't make one for you without knowing what exact length you need.

Reactions: jjvw
The returns diminish the flatter the angles are, but a longer driveshaft is always a good thing.