SYE plus rear driveshaft or new rear control arms?

Liro

Hi y'all, first time post here and long time lurker,

I purchased a real beat up '97 Jeep from the local takuaches last May and I have been fixing it ever since. I've been looking to eliminate vibrations that happen when getting on the freeway starting at 55mph. I recently removed the rear driveshaft and tested the jeep in 4wd so that the front two wheels are used and those vibrations are not present anymore. I've tried it this way for at least 30 miles and that vibration is finally gone.
I've been reading on SYE and driveshaft kits and how they also need control arms for proper pinion angle but I don't want to guess anymore since I have spent too much on diagnosing. I want the next part I get to resolve the vibrations at highway speeds.

As far as I can tell, PO installed the transmission 1" drop to it from this kit but I believe the rear control arms are still stock.
Will purchasing adjustable rear control arms be enough to relieve vibrations or would I have to at least get something like this kit that has an SYE and driveshaft? Here is a picture of what the rear looks like, let me know if I should upload more...

image0 (3).jpeg

Adjustable arms might help, vibrations occur from many sources. Other folks in here are way more knowledgeable than I 😂

How much lift do you have?

Your drive line looks way out of wack. Looks like you have after market RC control arms but not adjustable. I pretty much had the same setup when I got my Tj with a RC 1" transfer case drop. (Vibration was terrible) I installed an Advance Adapters SYE kit & Adams drive shaft. Put on some Core 4x4 adjustable control arms (upper & lower) Nice and smooth now. The guys at "Adams Driveshaft" will help you out . (You will need adjustable control arms with the SYE kit).

Last edited:
Reactions: GPK03X
You need an SYE, driveshaft, and at minimum adjustable rear upper control arms. Adjustable control arms without an SYE and driveshaft will not solve your problems.

Reactions: GPK03X and gosborne
With a regular drive shaft the Differential Pinion Shaft and Slip Yoke Shaft should be parallel. Looks like the Pinion Shaft is parallel to the horizon while the Slip Yoke shaft is pointing down. Would take adjustable control arms to see if paralleling two shafts would cure the vibration. Probably still take an SYE and Double Cardan drive shaft to fix the vibration but getting upper or lower adjustable arms could be a cheaper fix.

With a regular drive shaft the Differential Pinion Shaft and Slip Yoke Shaft should be parallel. Looks like the Pinion Shaft is parallel to the horizon while the Slip Yoke shaft is pointing down. Would take adjustable control arms to see if paralleling two shafts would cure the vibration. Probably still take an SYE and Double Cardan drive shaft to fix the vibration but getting upper or lower adjustable arms could be a cheaper fix.
I could try that first I’ll have to find the angle of the current setup with the tool I gotta get. Thanks