Syked ECU Tuning Software (for 97-04 TJs)

Brianj5600

TJ Expert
Ever since I bought my 2004 Rubicon in July 2018, I have been disappointed in power production. It was not an issue around town, 2 lane highways or on the trail, but found myself trying to keep up with traffic on the interstate with even the smallest hill. It got better when the heat and humidity gave way to much cooler air.

I hooked up a scan tool to see if anything was odd. I noticed that timing was low at cruise on level ground and went lower as the accelerator pedal was pressed further the timing continued to drop. When the skinny pedal was pinned the timing dropped as low as 16* btdc. I could tell little difference on the interstate between half and full throttle. It seemed like power dropped beyond 3/4 throttle. Any more power that could be made by more air going in was negated by reduced ignition timing. That 16* btdc above is roughly half of what I would think the motor needed.

After seeing this I started shopping for ways to tune the stock ECU. Most handheld tuners are not worth the cost for negligible at best gains. I will likely end up turbocharging my 4.0 before my trip out west this summer. I don't have a lot of EFI tuning experience but have tuned several cars, both N/A and power adders. B&G tuning software was the first I saw that supported my 2004 TJ. After more than 2 months of not being able to contact B&G I gave up. In the meantime, I saw another option, Syked.

I received my Syked hardware 2 days ago and installed my first modified tune today. Basically, I added 5* to the bottom right corner of the timing table. With the modded tune, on a road I have traveled many times, I can say it has no trouble accelerating on hills that it struggled to maintain 70mph before. There is more in it and I have started the next round of changes. More to come as I get familiar with it.

It is a cheap Harbor Freight scan tool. The tps reads funny on it though. Closed throttle reads around 12.5% and wot about 72%.

An interesting thing I had not considered is that adding 5* to the bottom right of the table actually resulted in an increase on the road of 10-12 degrees. I attribute that to the fact that now it it takes a smaller throttle opening at a given speed which move it left to cells with higher values.

Syked it hands down the best tuning software for 97-04 JTEC PCM's. You'd be surprised how much timing the 4.0 can take, especially if you're using 93 Octane. FRP Tuning recently posted a dyno graph of their canned tune, using Syked, on a TJ with 35's on 87 octane that picked up 25RWTQ!!!!

Consider yourself lucky you didn't let B&G mess with your tune. I had them spend months attempting tune my supercharged 4.0, they are complete garbage and could never get it to run right. I wasted a lot of time and money! I had FRP remotely tune mine over 3 days for my supercharger, runs incredible! Boost your 4.0, you'll love it!

Reactions: Brianj5600
Very cool! I'm glad someone is testing out the Syked software (which works for the 97-04 models).

The HPTuner software I use is identical pretty much, it just only works on the 05-06 models.

I suspect if people really start getting into this, they'll actually be able to get some extra power out of their TJs.

If you guys want to know of a good remote tuner who is familiar with turning our 4.0s, check out Josh Pearl at http://performance-dyno.com/index.html

He came highly recommend by Charles Warner of Magnum Power Superchargers and David Kishpaugh (MUDB8).

It should also be worth noting that the handheld tuners such as the Superchips and Diablo Tuners can not access the PCM on our TJs. That being said, those things are literally a gigantic waste of money.

I spoke in depth with a number of tuners about this (Josh Pearl being one of them), and he mentioned that those things work on the JKs and newer Jeeps, but they do not work as advertised on our TJs, and this is why people who buy them are constantly disappointed with the results, because they don't actually work.

The only tuners out there that work (that I know of at least) are as follows:
  • HPTuners (05-06 only)
  • Syked ECU Tuning (97-04 only)
  • B&G Performance (all years)

Reactions: Alex0413
Brianj5600
I have a Syked Tuner Software and hardware also , like to compare notes on what you have tried to compare results if you don't mind.

I don't have my laptop with me so I am not able to get too specific. I really have not done much more than add more timing on the EGR off timing table. It seems to help I haven't got to do any interstate driving since the last changes which were 3-5 degrees in the 1700-2200 in the last 3 columns. I'm not sure if those cells are ever really used though. I did bump timing again in the cells around 70 mph cruise at 2800ish. I'll try to post some tables tomorrow afternoon.

I need figure out AFRs. I need to get used to the numbers on the aldl and convert them to A/F ratios until the data makes sense, same thing with torrs. Coming from megasquirt it is like learning a new language.

I have not figured out the fuel adjustments either. I'm used to A/F tables and need to research more how to alter fuelling changes. I may look in neon forums or something to get some clues. I will likely add a small turbo to help when pulling a trailer, especially at higher altitude.

How about you? Have you changed much with the software? What gears are you running? Do you like them? I have 5.38s on order.

All I did with mine was disable the evap system so I could remove it, and disable the post-cat O2 sensors so I could remove them and the 2 pre-cats without triggering check engine lights.

I didn't want to venture to far into the tuning myself (especially messing with timing and AFRs, as I was going to leave that up to one of the pros like Josh Pearl, who does this sort of stuff for a living.

Of course if you have experience with Megasquirt, then you have way more of a grasp on this stuff than I do.

Mine has 5.38 gears.

My first change was to disable the post cats and now I'm looking at the timing adjustments, also fuel changes due to larger injectors and BBK 62mm throttle body. I plan on super charger or possibly a turbo here shortly. I plan on adding my AFR gauge and Fuel pressure gage next week.
I am running 4.88 with my setup

Reactions: KCsTJ
LJL, how do you like the 4.88s with 35s? Does OD work ok with that setup?

Chris and LJL, don't be afraid to try adding timing. It is easy and reversible. The stock timing is pretty good in the column with the highest values, but drop off way too fast as you open the throttle more. That will be the cells to the right of those middle columns on the table. At WOT, the last column, from 3000 rpm down enter 33 to the bottom. Then blend back to the left. Play with it some and post what you come up with.

Chris, you also have Syked tuning software? Do you know if it is able to calibrate a Rubicon speedo?

No, I have the HPTuner software (which is very similar) as it's for 05-06 models.

It won't recalibrate the speedo, none of them will to my knowledge.

My bad, I thought you had an 04 too.

Nope, I'm just following this thread since I think it's nice that someone is actually reporting about the Syked software. More people need to be aware that you CAN tune these things. The rumors are still rampant that it's not possible.

Yes I can post the egr off spark table later tonight when I get home from work,
I like the 4.88 with 35's good off line grunt and not reving the heck out of it at 75 on interstate
plus with a power adder it will be even more of a joy to drive .
I plan on 1.65 rocker or 1.7 yet this coming week also .

I just got my internet working after a car hit a pole and sent power surge that flipped 2 breakers and killed my modem. This is my current spark table vs the stock. I still need to do some smoothing, but It is pretty close...I think. Anyone watching feel free to question or recommend.

This was my first change where I only changed the bottom right. I noticed a decent improvement. With the tune above I noticed less throttle is needed around town and on the interstate, also OD was semi-useful even with 4.10s and 35s. In the next few days I'll try to do some 0-60 times with stock and modified timing tables.

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac