Syked ECU Tuning Software (for 97-04 TJs)

I'm running bigger (24.7lb/[email protected]) injectors , plumbed in an adjustable regulator, and I played with the pressure until my trims were averaged around zero at cruise. Then I've been logging with an innovate LM-2, using RPM, MAP, O2 1&2 and LTFT 1&2. I'm adjusting my fuel map according to the LTFT at RPM vs MAP. You can't access the AFR in here. Since it has stock narrow band O2, it's always going to be seeing rich/lean around 14.7 and trying to give you stoich through the trims, so that's it's fixed target.
If you want varying AFR on your table you'd have to run it on open loop all the time, and tune by wide band. To do so, you can disable the closed loop in a few ways in the fixed values, like raise the minimum closed loop enable temp to 190 or similar.

Last edited:
By the way, the magic number on a data logger to scale your MAP sensor to the Torr units SET uses, is to change the scaling from 0-255 kpa to 0-1912 torr. In the LM2 software that's easily done in the configure channel window

Here's a shot of LogWorks 3 from this morning.
LT Fuel trims at the top.
Wideband O2 in the middle
RPM & MAP at the bottom.
This is an example of where I would lower pulse time on the cells nearby the marker.
I'm shooting for 0 to -5% overall. I'd rather default a little rich in uncharted cells than lean, so overall my injectors vs. fuel pressure is just a tad rich compared to stock. Open loop it runs just a little richer than normal.

Reactions: Alex0413
What is OD lockout cut off? Manual transmission thing?

Four low cut off?

Difference in Federal vs 50 state?

I miss Tuner Studio and being able to hover over terms and get explanation.

No email, just checked.

Have you tried adjusting fuel injector flow?

Fuel > Fuel injector > Injector flow > value

I may try moving the value by 5% and see what it does to fuel trims.

What is OD lockout cut off? Manual transmission thing?

Four low cut off?

Difference in Federal vs 50 state?

I miss Tuner Studio and being able to hover over terms and get explanation.
Resent email without attachment.
OD thing, no idea.
4 low, hoping it's the speed limiter for the lockers.
Federal emissions has less strict rules than 50 state ("California emissions") figured changing this couldn't hurt.
As for the injector setting, I think changing it will just drive your trims 5% in the opposite direction. No telling what it will modify, but might be used as a quick rescale if you went with different flow injectors.

Reactions: Brianj5600
What fuel pressure did you end up at?

47-ish with Bosch 0280155865 injectors.

I didn't need to go that big, long painful story.
I bought sets of "reconditioned" 155784's, 156161's and eventually 155855's, to try. Fuel trims on them all came back lean. I found out my original pump was putting out ~47 psi and fluctuating. A new aftermarket regulator and pump filter gave me 45. So, sick of dropping the tank I put in a whole new Delphi FG1221 pump module assy and had the foresight to install a new bypass regulator, external fuel filter, and return line to the tank. The new setup tested at 55 psi until I dialed it down! Figuring why not just replace it all, I went looking for which USCAR injectors you could still buy new and found the 865's.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for posting what you have done and what your trying. I am interested in Syked software had a 4.6 stroker in my 1999 sport had tuning problems engine is out original 4.0 back in. I am not a tuner I am a engine bulider ,machinist wanting to learn ECU tuning. Thanks again I am excited to see your results.

Reactions: twinjeeps
No email, just checked.

Have you tried adjusting fuel injector flow?

Fuel > Fuel injector > Injector flow > value

I may try moving the value by 5% and see what it does to fuel trims.
There is a way to modify your effective AFR in table format, sort of.
I've qcal'ed just the changes that apply to two things that I've modified (other changes omitted on this one):
Power Enrichment
If you change the PE settings as shown, you can essentially turn PE on all the time and use the part throttle PE table to set "extra" fuel in those cells.
This one comes on just over cruise throttle and blends from stoich to 12.5 at WOT [on my setup].
Decel Fuel Cut Off
The other thing I included was settings I changed for tuning the fuel surface using LTFT. I delayed decel fuel cutoff so it would run the fuel surface PW values on those hi-vacuum cells without it jumping out of the chart into enleanment. I liked it, so I left it that way, with a 5 second delay. You can feel when it kicks in after coasting a bit and adds extra slow-down. Besides, taking your motor straight to 20:1 AFR every time you let off the pedal can't be helping the head / valve temps but I'm thinking it helps the CATS cycle properly.

Attachments

• 56044419AD.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 259
Hello all, I joined this forum specifically because of this thread. My son and I are rebuilding a 1974 IH Scout. We came upon a 2004 YJ engine that we plan to use instead of the old 258. The engine didn't come with ECU so we were thinking Megasquirt. But I can't seem to find any base map info for the 4.0. So, then we looked around for a system we could use to program a stock ECU and came upon Syked and then this thread. We would like to do some performance/drivability tuning as well as disable a whole bunch of items that we do not need in the Scout. You guys are sharing some great info! It'll be a few more months before we are into the engine stuff, as we are still rebuilding the tub - but we will get there soon enough. Looking forward to learning what we can! Good day - Bob

Hello all, I joined this forum specifically because of this thread. My son and I are rebuilding a 1974 IH Scout. We came upon a 2004 YJ engine that we plan to use instead of the old 258. The engine didn't come with ECU so we were thinking Megasquirt. But I can't seem to find any base map info for the 4.0. So, then we looked around for a system we could use to program a stock ECU and came upon Syked and then this thread. We would like to do some performance/drivability tuning as well as disable a whole bunch of items that we do not need in the Scout. You guys are sharing some great info! It'll be a few more months before we are into the engine stuff, as we are still rebuilding the tub - but we will get there soon enough. Looking forward to learning what we can! Good day - Bob
Welcome Bob.
That sounds like an ambitious project.
You can't disable a lot of things with the software, but luckily it's a pretty simple system. I'd recommend when going the factory MPI route, find a parts donor for the ecm, full harness, exhaust manifold (O2's), and anything else you're missing. Way less headaches than workarounds. If you get any specific ?'s the software doesn't have any help, so you can seek it out here. A good fundamental tuning knowledge will help.

Welcome Bob.
That sounds like an ambitious project.
You can't disable a lot of things with the software, but luckily it's a pretty simple system. I'd recommend when going the factory MPI route, find a parts donor for the ecm, full harness, exhaust manifold (O2's), and anything else you're missing. Way less headaches than workarounds. If you get any specific ?'s the software doesn't have any help, so you can seek it out here. A good fundamental tuning knowledge will help.
Thanks TJ - our donor engine came with everything but the ECM: full intake and injection, coils, exhaust manifolds (with 4 O2 sensors and cats) and the harness. Like I said, were were thinking Megasquirt, because we really do not need much of the modern inputs but changed course when it became apparent that there isn't much in the way of base maps available for the 4.0. So, the plan would be to weed out the harness and to use the Syked application to pare down the ECM to just what is needed to run the engine - and eventually work the engine tune. Am I barking up the wrong tree here? I haven't invested anything yet - I could reverse and head down the megasquirt path again - it has been done plenty of times afterall. Thanks for any info! Good day - Bob

Thanks TJ - our donor engine came with everything but the ECM: full intake and injection, coils, exhaust manifolds (with 4 O2 sensors and cats) and the harness. Like I said, were were thinking Megasquirt, because we really do not need much of the modern inputs but changed course when it became apparent that there isn't much in the way of base maps available for the 4.0. So, the plan would be to weed out the harness and to use the Syked application to pare down the ECM to just what is needed to run the engine - and eventually work the engine tune. Am I barking up the wrong tree here? I haven't invested anything yet - I could reverse and head down the megasquirt path again - it has been done plenty of times afterall. Thanks for any info! Good day - Bob
I can think of a few roadblocks that would need to be overcome- you would definitely want a 5 speed ECM, a speed sensor would need to be input but that can be recreated with a Dakota digital SGI-5e and SEN-01-4160. That's it without looking at the schematics. Security and CanBus can be omitted so that's not an issue.
If you choose to go Mega, the 4.0 factory info can be mapped off my stock tables from Syked, but some of it is in different formats. Spark should be straightforward, but the fuel is in pulse width, so you'd have to reverse engineer a VE table from it. MAP is in Torr, which can be converted to kpa or inhg.

Reactions: Belltownbikes
Megasquirt is a lot easier than Syked in my opinion. The only thing that I know will be challenging is the crank position sensor. Software doesn't support the odd signal that jeep uses. It is not that hard to adapt a 36-1 wheel though.

Can you disable CELs or remove the programing for the rear o2 sensors?
There are a lot of options that you can edit, especially for emissions.
Some of them are binary checkboxes, while others might be impossible to know what to input because they're values.
I do not however see anything specific to CEL disabling. But you may be able to modify the parameters so that certain codes don't trigger.
Untitled.png

Reactions: derekmac
I joined this forum also because of this thread. I am reading a lot about the 4.0. I did something else. I have a bored and stroked 2.5L that is built pretty strong with a supercharger/intercooler feeding it. I had lots of issues with the build and the shop that helped me get to where I am. I am running the factory ECM with a modified tune and bigger injector. I have been looking for a different shop to help me work on my tune and ran across this thread. My first question is: Will the Syked Software allow tuning of the OEM program that was previously modified? I am way about my comfort level to even believe I can tune an engine but my understand was that very few people had the software to change the factory program for modified engines. It appears that might be incorrect. If this is possible it gives me a possible avenue to work on my tune. I have a SCT handheld tuner for loading custom tunes. Let me know please if I am reading this all correctly.