Syked ECU Tuning Software (for 97-04 TJs)

Are you using Hp Tuners or Syked? I've not giving up yet on activation of a knock sensor on my factory PCM. The software is there in Syked. I also have had good luck looking at plugs to determine if I am getting close to detonation. I've had a few motors with nitrous and a turbo V8 making good power. None had a knock sensor and tuned by heat in the sparkplug.

Syked has 3 spark tables, warm up, egr off and egr on. The tables are egr off. Just watching timing while driving I'm not sure it ever uses egr on table. That table has greatly reduced advance.

I'm on HP tuners. the software itself shows Knock Retard but the channels providing the sensor feedback from the pcm are not being polled or supported. I don't know if there is a workaround for this or not. If HP tuners had better tech support, Id ask the question. If you do get this working let me know! I find reading plugs can be difficult with pump gas,(and Im not too good at it to begin with), and I know for a fact I wont hear any knocking over the hum of my worn MTR's on the street!

I'm not familiar with the terminology of Syked, but if your watching and its using EGR Off during normal drive than maybe EGR Off is the equivilant of the Part Throttle spark table in HP tuners. Under WOT does it use EGR On?

I just looked at my table and the lower advance values are found on the part throttle tables, so I guess that's the equivalent of the EGR on table on your 04 and Sykes software. If that's the case it's odd that you're not seeing it use the egr on table during normal driving. Also interesting is your stock spark table has considerably more advance in areas than my stock 05 table. For instance the max advance on my table is 46* whereas you and LJ's show 52*?! I'm wondering if the 04 has different adders so the final delivered spark advance is similar between 04 and 05 model years even though the base table shows more. Have either of you logged the spark while driving and seen actual reported values as high as 50*?

I have tracked down that 4.7 ho uses pin 25 in the black connector is for knock sensors. I haven't spent a lot of time researching though. Here is a screen shot of knock sensor configuration.

I looked up a 2001 WJ 4.7 which appears to also use the JTEC, and they use a twin knock sensor assembly.
They were using C3 - 7&18 (see attached)
I have compared some of the PCM pin numbers and they match our 4.0's.
While I can't guarantee it, we aren't using C3 7 & 19, and that's where the WJ put them, so that looks promising. It's worth a try. I suppose finding a donor for parts/sensor harness would be first.

On the EGR, the 04 TJ doesn't have a valve, and to me it appears they have disabled EGR in the PCM by some of those settings. My entire TP voltage table is set to 5.0, which it never gets to. The whole MAP table is set to 1.0. RPM to disable EGR is 128 which is odd, etc.

I've got a spare 04 Rubicon PCM I bought off Ebay to experiment with, and in case I somehow brick mine I've got a backup. Can't program it yet, assuming I'll have to pay to get the VIN changed on it first. But I can confirm that it didn't have SKIM, and works in mine with the SKIM still connected. Going to try the SKIM delete through the software and see if my original will work with the SKIM module disconnected.

Attachments

• WJ knock sensor.pdf
    119.8 KB · Views: 413
Reactions: Brianj5600
I don't know if it's just me, but I'm seeing no help text box info, no description popups like they had in some of their demo videos. Running Win 10 x64.
So, despite knowing Dynojet tuning fundamentals, a lot of this is a guess in this software for me. Hoping to see a knowledgebase (or build my own) of what all this stuff means, and which apply and which don't to our JTECs.

I can confirm that unchecking the "SKIM_VEHICLE", and unplugging the SKIM module, the Jeep runs without it.

Starting trials on the Accelerator Enrichment and spark tables, will post values & findings as I get some verifiable results. My goal is to find a workable stroker tune to share for those that went that route.

I'm in the same boat. Poor definitions, no product support, and not even plain old tuning FAQs for the jeep/Chrysler/ Dodge version of the software. Some of the basic practices are transferable, but there's a lot of trial and error to figure out the layout of the tables and the relationships behind them.I was glad to find these posts and see other people doing the same. Hopefully we can continue to exchange info and learn the programming behind these 4.0's.

I wanted to share a positive point for all the 05-06 42rle owners out there.

The pcm with integrated tcm gets a lot of bad press but there is a benefit regarding HP Tuners software. I asked HPTuners before purchasing and now confirmed with my own first hand experience over the past few weeks that the software allows you to edit the shift points. I want to thoroughly test first hand before going to press and posting this, but now after 9 trans tunes, I can confirm you can modify all shift points including the 3-4 (overdrive) shift point. Although the .69 overdrive still dramatically reduces the engine rpm, you can raise the shift point so that it enters overdrive much later so that the engine at least has more rpm to help pull through the deep overdrive reduction. I've currently settled on 3000-3100rpm shift point which allows it to be approximately 2100rpm once in OD. That's at relatively light throttle. If I put my foot in it, I've set it so the shift point becomes proportionally higher with the more throttle I give it. It's not a replacement for proper axle gears but it is a very significant improvement.

Update...In case anybody with SET software wants to see what I've been messing with.
I don't know if this will open for them, or if there will be VIN locking involved, but worth a try.

Attachments

• TEST TUNE.zip
    200.7 KB · Views: 352
I posted on Syked Facebook and it appears you can import tunes through Email. I tried unzipping and importing with out success. Do you mind Emailing me or PM your Email and I can test from mine. To send go to Tools > Quick Calibrations > Export to send and Tools > Quick Calibrations > Import to receive.

Last edited:
So, we determined that, at least if you have identical ECM #'s, you can share qcal files between each other. Basically you export your changes as a qcal file, the other person opens a copy of their stock tune, imports your qcal, and it modifies their tune as if it were yours. Then you can save it as a modification of your own.
The email full export does nothing, and sharing your whole tune as a .syk or zip does not work either.

So, I've got quite a bit of the basics figured out on this. But there's a lot of mysteries in there too. I'm certainly no expert but knowledge of tuning concepts and good ol' fashioned trial and error have helped.
Maybe some day I'll do what they haven't and write a help guide or something.
But for now, happy to answer anybody else's questions if I can.

Here's some of what I've been working on, to share. Keep in mind this is a heavily modded 4.5 with a 4250 cam.

Stock timing graph, looking like the Rockies; way advanced right in the highway cruise range (and emissions testing range...)
Due to the lack of knock sensors and a high quench height, they conservatively detuned it mid throttle to stay away from detonation issues, so you see some valleys and a dropoff in the higher MAP ranges.

My timing graph, modified and smoothed. I don't feel dramatic changes from one cell to another are productive; smooth tables are easier to street tune when you're datalogging and correcting cell by cell, listening for knock. It sure would be nice to be able to add Knock sensors my LM2...

My timing table: Blue for less than stock, red for more.
I tried adding timing across the board and instantly started getting detonation in the higher MAP ranges due to my raised compression, so I left that area alone. I lowered the idle range to more closely match the idle spark setting.

Instead of modding the running spark table, I added some advance in the WOT table, and added some retard to the IAT and ECT tables at higher ranges in case of hot days or hot engine/intake.

Fuel table, modified by datalogging Long Term Fuel Trims and adjusting up or down as needed.
Values are injector pulse width, in microseconds. I'm used to VE and AFR tables, but this works too.
Unfortunately the "display as AFR" feature doesn't work anywhere in this software.
It looks like I accomplished my goal of more efficiency at cruise range (needing less fuel) and more power/airflow at higher throttle ranges.

There's lots of other experimental tweaks in the works, but these are the most important ones for now.

Thanks for posting all this. I have some experience in Mega Squirt and I'm struggling with some of the of the equivalent settings in Syked. A major setting I have not identified in all the software is target A/F ratio, Lamda or O2 voltage.

Are you running stock injectors?

Are you using an LM2 for data logging?

If you want to adjust fuel in closed loop wouldn't you have to alter the target?

Does changing the fuel table have any affect on actual A/F in closed loop or just lower the trim?