Tailgate - Rear Body Mods

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Redoing the back end of the body / tailgate and would like some input.

I'm moving the spare tire mount to the right 4-1/2" (towards the hinges), out away from the tailgate 1" and adding a NATO gas can mount to the rear bumper on the left. (oh, and the body up 1") I need some input on a couple of parts.

1) Taillights - I'd like to go with a flatter taillight that doesn't stick out as far from the body. Something without the flanges turned out would be nice. What would you all recommend? Square, round, pretty flower shaped...whatever. As always performance over price, but my money tree is a little wilted. I do kind of like the square one's a little better.

2) License plate relocation bracket - Something that goes in the wheel and isn't a pain in the backsides to remove if you need to use the spare. Third brake light, license plate light and a decent license plate mount. What'cha got and how's it working out for you?

You are welcome to give me crap about putting a gas can on the outside of my rig, but I have my reasons. I'll have pictures of the prototype when the 1x2x16" aluminum flat bars comes back from the machine shop. If it works out reasonably well, I'll be doing beefed up hinges and flat bar to beef up the whole tailgate assembly up. Max design tire size is 32x11.50's. My 31x10.50's fit comfortably back there now.

Last edited:
1) Have you seen the Savvy LED taillights? Pricey, but flat, and damn good looking!

As for license plate relocation, I have it in the stock location, so I'm no help there.

Reactions: StG58
1) Have you seen the Savvy LED taillights? Pricey, but flat, and damn good looking!

As for license plate relocation, I have it in the stock location, so I'm no help there.
Thanks, @Chris, I've seen the Savvy taillights and they are sexy beasts. They are on the list. Do you run those? Any issues with them?

Thanks, @Chris, I've seen the Savvy taillights and they are sexy beasts. They are on the list. Do you run those? Any issues with them?

No, I don't run those, but I want to. I have these ones: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IQCBQ0M/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I've been running those for years and absolutely love the. They're so bright, and when you throw it in reverse, you'd swear you had flood lights in the back!

Those are the same units Savvy uses from what I am told, they just use a CNC aluminum bezel which makes it more shallow and not stick out as far as the stock taillights.

20170110_101634-576x1024.jpg

I like my flat round lights. Bright and effective

I'm running a set of the Savvy LED tail lights and I absolutely love how they look and work...my only complaint is that for the price Savvy charges for them, they should be plug and play, but you have to cut up your stock taillights to get the connector...I chopped up a couple of old trailer harnesses to get the connectors instead of cutting up the stock tail lights

I'm using the Ace gatekeeper to relocate my license plate to the middle of my tail gate..it has a LED plate light and third brake light included

No, I don't run those, but I want to. I have these ones: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IQCBQ0M/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I've been running those for years and absolutely love the. They're so bright, and when you throw it in reverse, you'd swear you had flood lights in the back!

Those are the same units Savvy uses from what I am told, they just use a CNC aluminum bezel which makes it more shallow and not stick out as far as the stock taillights.
Are those tail lights plug and play?

About how far from the body do those tail lights stick out?

Seen them allot on beach buggies and CJ's...I like them allot. as they sit flush with the body.But I'd need an amber turn signal in there somewhere.

Not going to accomplish what I'm looking for, unfortunately. I'd like something half as thick, or better yet, less. The search continues.

On the bright side, I don't need the tail lights to move stuff around. It just helps a bunch when tucking everything up to the body.

Hahaha I like what you did there..lol