Tailgate - Rear Body Mods

Oh man, I'd love to get my hands on a dead LED tail light to see just how thick that light assembly is. Maybe it would be possible to fab up a thin housing for it out of aluminum. CNC Mills love aluminum.
I checked out the ones Kevin has, only 1/2" thick per the description. Look like they surface mount which would be great on mine since it has the charcoal evap can behind the passenger light. Most have to relocate it forward to do the flush mount lights.

Reactions: StG58
Reverse lights
20171018_061544-576x1024.jpg

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and tman66
Redoing the back end of the body / tailgate and would like some input.

I'm moving the spare tire mount to the right 4-1/2" (towards the hinges), out away from the tailgate 1" and adding a NATO gas can mount to the rear bumper on the left. (oh, and the body up 1") I need some input on a couple of parts.

1) Taillights - I'd like to go with a flatter taillight that doesn't stick out as far from the body. Something without the flanges turned out would be nice. What would you all recommend? Square, round, pretty flower shaped...whatever. As always performance over price, but my money tree is a little wilted. I do kind of like the square one's a little better.

This *may* help if you want something other than Savvy or a knock-off.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical/led2/led-1.htm

Reactions: StG58
How did you mount them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The previous owner had installed flush mount tailights that were round and same size. Used existing screw holes that seemed to match. Got lucky. Spliced wires together and that was it.

Assuming you were talking to me. Lol

The previous owner had installed flush mount tailights that were round and same size. Used existing screw holes that seemed to match. Got lucky. Spliced wires together and that was it.

Assuming you were talking to me. Lol

Yes sir I was. I have 4” round installed by P.O. with just the rubber grommet. Hoping they will fit in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here the rear end shot after the move:
Back - Moved.jpg

I can get another 3/4" to the right, give or take (more if I cheat a little), but I will have to fabricate new hinges that incorporate the mounting holes for the spare tire carrier. I will also need to go with low profile tail lights. I need to do that anyway, and it was in the plan. This iteration moved the tire to the right 4", which is the center to center distance between the mounting holes on the upper part of the spare tire bracket. The NATO gas can lacks 1-3/4" from clearing the left tail light completely. Nothing was irretrievably modified. It's a prototype, and I'm still fiddling with it. This is solid as all get out, but there are no tire bumpers on it yet. Going out this weekend for a little Elk scouting, so we'll see how it does in the real world. So far, qualified success. Next up, custom machined hinges and tailgate support bars, low profile tail lights, license plate move.

Last edited:
Take pictures if you see Elk! Oh ...... and I hope your Jeep works out well too.
lol, sure if I get the chance. This is steep brush country so the Elk usually don't hang around and pose for pictures. Maybe if I catch some in a farmer's pasture.

Edited to add: So oldest daughter sent me a weather report for the area we're scouting. 4-6" of rain and 20-40 mph wind. Oh joy. It's going to be so much fun out in the high timber tomorrow.

Last edited:
I wanted to center my spare.... an anal thing... and raise it so the 33s clear the hitch. I added a tab to the bottom and bolted a plate on the top...

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Nice thing is how the 33 now hits the body before crushing the taillight.

DSC_0013.jpg

Reactions: StG58 and JMT